1 – Flame
120 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is strange, you know? Waking up into a world of complete grey, colourless and lifeless.

 

I wonder, how did I end up here? Or where ‘here’ is. Or even what happened? I do not know.

 

I wander through this place, aimlessly, admiring what is left of this place. Ruins? In the middle of a calm, noiseless clearing, with me being the only being there. It has a certain charm to it, something that nature reclaimed from human hands...

 

The ruins are from a design that I don’t recognize, completely unfamiliar to me, but it has that unique air about it. Shapes and sizes flow onto each other, moss and grass claiming their place in the scenery. It's calm, it brings peace to me, something so simple, yet complex.

 

I approach the entrance of the ruins, something resembling an archway, full of markings, depicting stories and history. Inside of it is the same. Drawings, pictures, all carved in the stone that stands there, in their full glory, timeless to only time itself.

 

In the center of this place lies an orb. A huge orb, seemingly made out of crystal, with its colour, like all the other areas, being gray. But… inside of it, though? Countless forms made out of flames, shimmering with colour despite its surroundings. It stands defiant to the outside, the remnants of colour in a colourless place. Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Violet, Purple, endless colours of flames, all inside that orb.

 

It is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

 

Almost instinctively, I move closer to the orb, trying to see more of those flames, of that show of colour that is so beautiful to observe, to feel

 

As I almost touched it, however, a bright light exploded within the ruins I was in, blinding me, and painting the surroundings with a colour other than gray. When my vision came back, I heard sounds. Something downright alien to me, after what felt like days without hearing anything. Even the place, too, had changed visually. Colours and light were everywhere, painting the world with life and light.

 

The orb.. was cracked. All flames extinguished.. except one. A familiar flame stood there, almost becoming embers, but still, it refuses to die. It calls to me, with waves of warmth when I see it

 

I touch the orb.

 

The flame instantly comes to me, exiting the orb and standing on my hand. I slowly move it towards my heart, covering it with my hands, sheltering it from harm. 

 

I feel a soothing warmth in my heart again, a feeling that was always there, but muted, distanced. It feels.. good, to finally feel it again.

 

My whole body is lit, from feet to head, showering me in warmth and light.

 

Then… everything changes. The scenery before me is lit alight, like a canvas being burned, it disappears, leaving only an empty place behind.

 

Everything is empty, the emptiness not lasting forever, though, even it being burned by the flames, turning this whole world alight, ever-burning and ever-lighting.

 

This whole world burns, with me being the source.

 

I grin.

 

“Always and forever, alight we will be”.

 

---

 

Returning to consciousness is hard, who would have thought?

 

Sleep, and sleep. I wanted to sleep. Rest more, not wake up, stay in that state forever.. but that isn’t possible.

 

Messages flow into my vision, disrupting me from my sleep, throwing it away! No! I scream helplessly, but the screens don’t go away.. sigh, I guess I should read them, now that my sleep was interrupted?

 

-

Evolution and changes:

 

[Unlit Phoenix Egg] -> [Infant Phoenix]

Level: 0 -> 1

 

Stats: 

 

Strength: 0 -> 3

Agility: 0 -> 7

Recovery: 5 -> 15

Mind: 3 -> 11

Will: 5

Soul: 2 -> 10

 

Skills: 

 

Abilities: [Phoenix Heart], [Of Flames and Embers], [Lesser Elemental], [Emotional Telepathy], [Memories]

-

 

What... I know that I saw this before but... it’s all blurry.. strange...

 

And why am I a Phoenix now?! I remember that I was an.. an... I can’t remember... 

 

Why? 

 

Ok, I need to calm down. Blurry memories, check. Not on my previous body anymore, check. A screen, check.

 

It seems that I died.. and I know that there is something else, but I simply can’t remember it.. that’s annoying.

 

First, let's see what I remember. Name… no name, ok. Age... can’t remember. Gender... the same. Family and Friends… No- wait, I do remember someone... but their memory is too blurred... I know that they were important for me, and I for them. A friend or family, maybe?

 

It makes me sad, but... I feel detached from it all, only regretting not remembering that person, but even then, I have a feeling that I still can find them, somewhere, somehow.

 

Ok, knowledge? I have... many, most of it isn’t blurred, only slightly foggy. That's good, yes, I have something to build upon.

 

I feel oddly calm about all of this… I know that it wasn’t supposed to be this way, but I believe I was prepared for this, feeling no panic already having a basic plan of action. It's odd but understandable.

 

I open my eyes for the first time, and what greets me is green. I’m on the ground, still, in the area I was born in. Cracked shapes are near me, made from what appears to be fire... A fire egg? Phoenixes lay fire eggs? Oh, wow...I think I know why I have that [Lesser Elemental] Ability.

 

I look around, noticing I’m in a forest, full of greenery and life. I try to stand up.. but I can’t. I look at my body, seeing that I’m a chick now, small and with a few feathers made out of fire in some parts of my body. Right, I’m still an infant, in the eyes of this strange system. 

 

After several tries, I finally manage to stand up and walk...or something close to it. Jumping, hopping or something resembling it, I approach a tree. I need somewhere to lay down, I think. I don’t know what more is in this forest, it could be dangerous, somehow.

 

I reach the tree and lay down on it. I’m tired? After only moving this much? But where am I even getting this ‘normal’ from? I shake my head. Too many questions, no answers in sight. 

 

I wheeze. I’m way too tired, it's abnormal...I look around at the place I’m in again, focusing on the tree, and I see...?!

 

I avoided an attack that came from nowhere. What!? I try to see what attacked me, is that.. a snake? A small snake, with green scales, yes. How did I even avoid it? 

 

I stare at the snake. It hisses, lunging at me again, even faster this time. I try to dodge or do something, but alas... I can’t. The snakes bit me, constricting itself around my body, and trying to crush me with its pressure. 

 

I panic. I simply panic. I wasn’t even born for more than a couple of minutes and I’m already going to die?! No! 

 

As if on instinct, my body takes a form of flames, burning hotter and brighter. The snake hisses and slithers away from me. I’m angry now! Come here snake, fight me!

 

I dash towards it, bashing my body against its scales, scorching it with stray flames. Take that! It tries to bite me again, but my flames move to protect me, burning the snake’s snout. I go a step further, drawing my flames inside of it, burning it from within.

 

It hisses in absolute pain, as its insides were being burnt. It screeches, flailing its body around. I dash at it again, bashing, and hitting it, again and again. It won’t die! My flames burn hotter, and I use all my force to tackle it. Bang. It falls lifelessly into the ground, its body scorched and burnt.

 

I stare at the body. I feel great! Victorious! 

 

The flames return to my body, forming a small amount of new fiery feathers. I feel great... Winning... I may get addicted to this feeling... 

 

I fall to the ground. Huh, why do I suddenly feel sleepy? Ah, yeah, the fight... I should just lay down and sleep, yeah.. just let me go to that tree there.. and.. flop.

 

I lay there, paralysed. The snake.. was venomous..? Oh no…

 

I get worried, will I die here, after this..? 

 

I suddenly remember that System. Maybe.. it has some solution?

 

I open my status as I almost lose my consciousness.

 

-

Name: 

Race: [Infant Phoenix] 

Level: 5

 

Stats: 

 

Strength: 3

Agility: 7

Recovery: 15

Mind: 11

Will: 5

Soul: 10

 

Stat points: 5

 

Skills: [Dodge I], [Charge I], [Bash I], [Poison Resistance I]

 

Abilities: [Phoenix Heart], [Of Flames and Embers], [Lesser Elemental], [Memories], [Emotional Telepathy].

-

 

Abilities..! I try.. to use some of them. [Phoenix Heart] first.

 

I suddenly feel a strong warmth in my chest, growing outwards of its boundaries, enveloping my entire body.. the venom was extinguished. So this is the main ability of a Phoenix..? 

 

But.. I still feel sleepy... Is this the drawback of the ability? It may be.. it.. yawn.

 

I’ll just.. sleep now. There has to be somewhere safe here.. a hole, perhaps.. yawn, no, the tree will be perfect for this.. only need to cover myself a bit and.. perfect.

 

I close my eyes for a moment, just trying to rest, but sleep took me without even noticing.

7