Chapter Four: The Broken Hunter
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Name?" the warden asked lazily as he picked his nose, looking bored out of his mind.

This was the man in charge of overseeing the new recruits. He eyed the newcomer and his elderly companion with an uninterested expression, probably wanting to get this over with quickly.

"Tatsuya. Taira Tatsuya," the newcomer replied. "And this pathetic excuse for a man is my...uh... Uncle Moya."

Moya shot Tatsuya a look, but the young warrior just chuckled and continued.

"I wish to lend my services to the army. All I wish in return is for some rice and a roof above my poor uncle's head."

"He said he'd do anything and pledge utmost loyalty to the clan," Moya added, getting back at Tatsuya.

When the warden wasn't looking, Tatsuya angrily flashed a middle finger at Moya to which the old man simply shrugged his shoulders as if saying you started it.

"Fine, get in line. Your uncle can head to the quarters," the warden replied dismissively.

"Just a moment," said a voice from behind the warden. Everyone spun around to see Lord Rai.

"L-Lord Rai," the warden bowed. "I-I didn't know you were there."

The sudden appearance of the warrior in black made Tatsuya stop dead in his tracks. There was something oddly familiar about this Lord Rai's scent. When he realized what it was, he broke into a cold sweat. No, it can't be. There was no way.

This man had the scent of a kitsune. Either he's one of the Yako or a Hunter just like me

He turned to look at Lord Rai who now had a sly smile on his face.

Damn it! This bastard knows! 

"May I see your blade?" Rai asked. "Your name... Tatsuya was it?"

Tatsuya had no choice but hand over his sword to the commander. Rai studied the blade for a bit before returning it to him, much to Tatsuya's surprise. The warrior in black now walked towards and whispered into Tatsuya's ear:

"I know it was you who killed my men. I'll let you off this once on the account that they were useless, at least from what a trusted source who knew your uncle told me."

Tatsuya silently thanked his lucky stars that Moya was able to follow through on his promise that he will take care of it. But Lord Rai was not going to let him off the hook just yet.

"Don't think this is over," Rai whispered. "I'll let you live for now. But watch your back."

Tatsuya's knees almost gave out due to the sheer terror that he felt. This man chose to spare his life when he could very much have him arrested and executed right there and then. Though he was a skilled warrior, all the talent in the world was not going to save him even if he did manage to take Lord Rai out. The commander had every advantage, yet he showed restraint. Was it an act of mercy? Perhaps. But Tatsuya felt this Lord Rai was keeping him alive for a more sinister purpose.

"Warden!" Lord Rai commanded. "Assign this man to my personal regiment. I want to keep an eye on him myself. He seems... useful."

"As you wish my lord," said the warden as Lord Rai turned to leave.

Tatsuya didn't even know if he should be relieved that he escaped with his life or terrified that he will now be working very close to a dangerous man. Moya gave him a reassuring look.

"Consider yourself lucky boy," the warden spoke. "You'll be working under the very best. Not everyone gets to be handpicked by our lord!"

"This Lord Rai," Tatsuya said to the warden. "Tell me more about him. I want to... uh... know how to serve him better."

"You must be an outsider," said the warden. "Everyone here has heard of Lord Rai's exploits. He drove back those other clan dogs like it was nothing! You should have seen him use his weapon!"

"What weapon?" Moya asked.

"What an ignoramus!" the warden exclaimed. "Lord Rai is the greatest of all Hunters! The wielder of the mighty sickle and chain that bring forths lightning!"

Tatsuya and Moya gave each other a knowing smile, having baited the warden into unwittingly providing them some valuable information.

"We'll take our leave then," said Tatsuya with a fake smile. "Can't wait to get started."

When they were quite far from the warden, Tatsuya whispered to his elderly companion.

"So, Rai is one of the Hunters. That means the Yako is still out there."

"Be on guard," Moya nodded. "Kitsune are shapeshifters. They can be anyone."

"I don't understand why a Hunter would side with a Yako and some corrupt daimyo," Tatsuya said shaking his head. "What does Rai hope to achieve here?"

"Who knows," said Moya. "After all, you were reluctant to be a Hunter too."

"Fair point," Tatsuya replied. "We're in some real shit now old geezer."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a dark room, a beautiful woman was waiting for Lord Rai to arrive. When her guest finally showed up, she invited him to sit opposite to her. Between them was a table with a chess set already prepared for their game. The woman gazed at her companion with a sly smile.

"I'm surprised you didn't kill that Hunter," she teased. "Maybe you really don't have what it takes to be a Hunter."

"He will die by my blade," Rai replied grimly. "Just... not now."

"Oh?" the lady taunted him. "It's okay Rai. You have no need to hide your incompetence. After all, you can't even kill the Yako sitting right in front of you. What more a fellow Hunter?"

"Silence Himei!" Rai growled, clenching his fists. "You know the only reason you're alive is because you tricked me!"

"Tricked you?" Himei continued to tease him. "But you love me Rai. You love me so much that you bypassed my kitsune scent. You love me so much..."

A sly smile spread across the Yako woman's lips.

"...that you fathered a child."

"Enough!" Rai roared as he flipped the table, causing all the chess pieces to scatter.

Before Himei can torment him any further, Rai stormed out of the room. He then proceeded to walk to the palace gardens, silent and morose, making his way to a small grave, He knelt before the marker, closed his eyes, and muttered a prayer.

*Forgive me my love. You must be so ashamed. *

Rai could not forget that day. It was a mistake that cost him everything. That wench Himei! How cruel must you be to play with the heart of a broken man? What creature could be so vile as to prey on someone so vulnerable? Rai could not bear the loss of his lover. He couldn't control himself when he saw her in person, alive. He made love to her, even if he was fully aware that it was but a kitsune wearing the face of the woman he loved. When he realized what he has done, it was already too late. He has impregnated that witch, and made himself bound to her.

Rai was forced to serve the Hibiki Clan. He was forced to protect the daimyo who Himei helped rise to power. How could he refuse? Himei threatened to unleash their kitsune child on his village if he refused to take responsibility. He could always kill the monster, but what father would kill his own child? He should have been more careful. She was one of the four Yako after all, the kitsune of music. He threw away his entire life for a moment of bliss.

Something that Himei said however made him think. Why exactly did he spare that Tatsuya? He was confused, torn with what to do with him. On the one hand, he could say that he spared him to have someone who can finally free him from the kitsune's grasp. But on the other, he wanted to face Tatsuya in a fair fight and kill him to save his wounded ego. If he could not succeed in his destiny as a Hunter, then no one should be able to. His pride would not let Tatsuya fulfill what he could not.

"Lord Rai! Lord Rai!"

A messenger was calling him, soaked in sweat and panting as he ran over to call the commander's attention. Concerned, Rai tried to calm the man down and let him catch his breath.

"What is it?" Rai asked. "What troubles you?"

"T-The enemy..." the messenger stammered. "They've launched a surprise attack! They're laying a siege on the castle!"

"What? Who dares attack the Hibiki Clan?" Rai demanded.

"C-Clan Jikan my lord," the messenger replied nervously. "They're being led by their Hunter!"

"Damn it!" Rai cursed. "Sound the alarm! To your stations! Don't let them breach the walls!"

1