Chapter Fifteen: Tiger of the Howling Winds
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was finally the appointed time. Two warriors stood across each other on the deck of an empty ship. On one side was the warrior monk Kazan. His all-white robes contrasted with his dark skin that glistened in the moonlight, giving him the appearance of a fearsome ghost. On the other was the notorious Byakko, his spiky hair and body full of tattoos making him look like a monstrous Oni. Kazan gripped his bo staff of iron, the mighty Yama that tamed mountains. Seeing this made Tora smirk as he unveiled his weapon, the nunchakus called Kaze. As the pirate began spinning his weapon, violent winds started to blow around the ship. The monk however remained unmoved.

"Tell me monk, before we begin," Tora called out. "What interest does a fellow Hunter have with me?"

"We have a common enemy," Kazan replied. "And I intend to force you to join our cause."

"And why exactly should I believe you?" Tora replied, raising an eyebrow.

To this, Kazan showed him his ring with the insignia of the Onryo. Tora immediately recognized it to be the rebel faction fighting against the Yako and was overjoyed.

"If you intend to destroy those bastard clans, I would have joined you in a heartbeat!" Tora laughed. "There is no need for us to even fight!"

"Shhhh not so loud," Kazan said. "All of this is just part of my plan."

"I'm listening," Tora replied.

"As we speak, my monks are encircling the tavern," Kazan said. "I discovered that the bartender is a spy for the Jikan clan. All the residents you see there were planted by the Jikan to trap you. That is why I intend to burn the whole tavern down."

"Beautiful!" Tora grinned. "Those jerks sure had it coming!"

"Shhhh," Kazan cautioned again. "Right now, the patrons are watching our fight from a distance. We need to put on a show to keep them distracted while my men set fire to the place."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Tora smirked.

The pirate swung his nunchaku at Kazan aiming for his head. As he did, a powerful frigid wind blew. It had the strength of a blizzard, capable of freezing anything in its path. Fortunately, Kazan was able to react by tapping his staff on the deck. This allowed him to make a giant obelisk from the bottom of the sea rise up to shield him. Kazan however barely had time to react when Tora kicked the obelisk, causing the ice to shatter and strike the monk. Kazan suffered minor injuries, but he was quickly able to get back on his feet.

"Not bad," Kazan grinned as he wiped the blood off his mouth.

"I'm not some dumb rascal, monk," Tora scoffed. "I anticipated that you'd pull a stunt like that."

"Yes, but did you see this?" Kazan countered.

It was then then Tora realized that he was bleeding from the foot. He was dumbfounded.

"You were quick, I'd give you that," Kazan smirked. "But not quick enough to avoid this."

Kazan revealed that he used his staff's magic to cover his face with jagged rocks, like a helmet of stone.

"Not bad monk," Tora grinned as he fought through the pain.

Tora would then send powerful gusts of wind that could slice through objects like razors. It cut through the ship, causing debris to fall on Kazan. But the monk reacted quickly, using his magic to form a stone dome to protect him. He would then hurl small boulders at the pirate, but Tora would simply use the wind to launch him high in the air to avoid them.

Back and forth the two went with no clear winner. They went at it for about fifty bouts when they heard a loud explosion. Looking at the direction of the tavern, they say that it was now in flames. Kazan's monks have been successful at sneaking around the tavern and setting it on fire. This made the two warriors cease fighting.

"Glad that's over," Kazan smiled.

"Agreed," Tora replied, breathing a sigh of relief. "For a mock battle, you really hurt me back there."

"Likewise," Kazan chuckled. "But we had to make it believable otherwise the enemy will be suspicious."

"Guess I'll join this little team of yours," Tora grinned.

"We'll set sail in the morning," Kazan said. "Guess we can call it a day."

Tora though shook his head.

"Not really," Tora sighed. "I have a favor to ask of you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was late already late at night, around the witching hour. Kazan and Tora, along with Kazan's monks, took refuge at an abandoned temple to a sea kami. There they had their wounds patched up from their mock battle, drinking bowls of sake to distract them from the pain of getting their wounds stitched. Kazan then turned to his new companion.

"You said you wanted to ask me a favor," Kazan smiled. "Then speak your mind."

Tora immediately took a worn-out map from his pocket and handed it to the monk. Kazan's brows furrowed as he gazed at the content. It was a map of something located in the middle of the sea.

"What... is this?" Kazan asked, still puzzled.

"A giant prison ship, holding thousands of prisoners," Tora explained. "It's the greatest irony. These men have known nothing but the sea all their lives. For them to suffer in a cage in the middle of the ocean, it's such a pitiful state."

As the pirate buried his face in his hands, Kazan could tell that he was burdened with guilt and regret. He placed his hand on the man's shoulder.

"I would assume some of your friends are in there," Kazan said. "Don't worry. I will help you get them out."

"Thank you," Tora replied. "But it won't be that simple."

"How so?" Kazan asked.

"Before you can get to the prison ship, you have to get past a fleet of Jikan ships forming a blockade," Tora explained. "Unless there was a way to take down that fleet, we would be captured before we can even set foot to free the captives."

"These prisoners," Kazan said. "Are all of them your crew?"

"No," Tora answered. "Only some of them are. But I swear on my life that those that aren't will pledge their allegiance to you if you set them free."

"What makes you say this?" Kazan asked.

"Because I was one of them!" Tora exclaimed, unable to control his emotions. "I was the only one who managed to escape. I've been trying for so long to find a way to break them out but have been unsuccessful. That is, until you came along."

"I'm sorry for what you had to endure," Kazan said.

"These are good people monk," Tora said trying to hold back tears. "We stole from those rich Yako clans who abuse their people. We would raid their storehouses, and return the goods they stole from the starving citizens. We may be thieves, pirates, brigands... but ask yourself this. Who are the real criminals here?"

Kazan watched in silence as Tora broke down, giving the man the space that he needed to let it all out. When Tora finally calmed down, Kazan turned to him and said:

"Don't worry. I have a strategy to rescue your crew."

0