Chapter Twenty-Three: The Drunken Tanuki
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mizuchi wondered if his mind was playing tricks on him. It seemed too good to be true. From the moment he set foot on the dock of this rebel stronghold, he could already feel a sense of familiarity. This small port town was similar to the one he and his sister Roka grew up in many years ago. As he walked around town, he noticed how the houses and roads were structured just like how his village used to make them. It felt as if Mizuchi traveled back to the past to return to his roots. He was interrupted in his daydreaming when he was interrupted by a little boy tugging on his sleeve.

"Hero!" the child called out. "Are you here to save us?"

"Save it kid," a drunk mercenary interrupted. "These so-called Hunters are no different from the Yako they're trying to kill."

"But several Hunters worked together to take down the Hibiki clan," another villager pointed out. "How can you say that?"

"Bah! If they're really here to help us, why don't they make a billion jugs of sake for starters!" the mercenary scoffed.

"Our magic don't work like that..." Mizuchi stammered.

"Ha! You see?" the mercenary teased. "I knew it! Don't you know sake is the key to winning this war?"

"Forgive him," the villager apologized. "Don't mind the ramblings of a drunk."

"What's with him?" Mizuchi asked.

"He lost his balls!" the little boy said loudly.

"GAH YOU JUST HAD TO SAY IT OUT LOUD!" the mercenary growled as he stomped off.

This frightened the little boy, who hid behind Mizuchi's leg. Mizuchi patted his head to calm him down.

"He lost his... balls?" Mizuchi asked curiously.

The village elder now stepped forward to answer his question.

"That man is a Tanuki, a shapeshifting raccoon dog in human form," the elder explained. "He was a mischievous thief who once boasted that he can steal anything. This boast however would come back to haunt him."

"How so?" Mizuchi asked.

"Well, the Yako of Yurei heard his boast," the elder continued. "He hired the tanuki to steal one of the nine weapons of Ina, which he was unable to do so. Returning empty-handed, the Yako cursed him by shrinking his balls to the size of a regular human being. Tanuki of course are said to take pride in their large balls, as it was a sign of good fortune. Having it shrunk meant that he was cursed and unlucky. He was ridiculed by his kind, forcing him to become a wanderer. Starving and close to death, he made his way to this village where we took him in and gave him the name Saito Kogane."

"So, this Kogane," Mizuchi asked. "He's a mercenary?"

"The very best," the elder replied. "Driven by his hatred of the Yako, he worked as a mercenary who would offer his services to the band of rebels that can offer him the most. This resentment of the Yako also extended to all kitsune, as well as the Hunters."

"I'll go talk to him," said Mizuchi, much to the dismay of the villagers.

Mizuchi found Kogane gulping one bowl of sake after another at the village tavern. He gave the mercenary a light tap on the shoulder, but the mercenary was so engrossed in his drinking that he was immediately startled.

"WHAT IN THE KAMI'S NAME- oh it's you. What the heck do you want?"

"I heard about what happened to you," said Mizuchi. "I'm sorry."

"I don't need your sympathy Hunter," Kogane growled.

"Mizuchi," Mizuchi introduced himself.

"Whatever," Kogane said rolling his eyes before continuing. "Look pal if you really want to earn my trust then you would have to do this mission."

"What mission?" Mizuchi asked.

"We were retreating from a damn Jikan invasion," Kogane replied. "When those monks forgot to bring that egg with them!"

"What egg?" Mizuchi asked.

"Some dragon egg the enemy can't have," Kogane shrugged. "Better ask the monks about it."

"Thanks. I will," said Mizuchi as he turned to leave.

"Wait are you serious?" Kogane said surprised. "You can't possibly be thinking of going there alone when the place is swarming with Jikan guards! I barely made it out with my life!"

"They haven't fought me yet," Mizuchi growled.

"Who do you think you are, some one-eyed wolf kami who gobble them all up?" Kogane scoffed.

Mizuchi however remained resolute, which led Kogane to roll his eyes and let out an exasperated sigh.

"Fine, you win," said Kogane. "If you want to get to that stupid egg, you would first have to defeat this commander who comes out to challenge us every high noon. That scumbag has a grudge against the rebels. I always wanted to go put him in his place but the villagers hold me back because I'm the only decent fighter left."

"I'll fight him," said Mizuchi.

"Suit yourself," Kogane replied. "Meanwhile I will gather as many villagers as I can to help you. Don't you dare die."

"I promise," Mizuchi answered.

"Now scram and go see the monks," Kogane yelled as he gulped down another jug of sake.

"You're not so bad after all tanuki," Mizuchi smiled.

"Don't push your luck Hunter," Kogane growled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seemed the sun could no longer wait in anticipation, heating the ground with its rays for what would be a fiery confrontation. It was already high noon, the appointed time. The villager quickly scrambled to their homes to hide as soon they heard the sound of hooves. The Jikan commander has arrived, flanked by three dozen riders. Drawing his sword, the commander shouted in a loud voice:

"You rebel scum! Come out and fight me!"

His challenge was met with utter silence, as if not a single soul was around. The commander laughed out loud before repeating himself.

"Is there no brave soul in this wretched village? Come and fight me!"

Kogane have had enough. He was just about to storm of the tavern he was hiding in but the villagers held him back. They reminded him of what he promised Mizuchi, to which Kogane reluctantly backed off. Meanwhile, the commander continued insulting the villagers.

"Ha! Cowards!" the Jikan commander scoffed. "Where is that courage you pathetic worms have been showing before?"

He spurred his horse back and forth, spitting on the ground as he went as a sign of disrespect. Growing impatient, he called out for a third time.

"Rebels! Send out your best fighter to come and fight me, if you dare!"

Still there was silence. Chuckling to himself, the commander turned to his troops. He was just about to give the order to sack the city when he heard the sound of hooves galloping in the distance, faint at first but gradually growing louder. The commander turned around to see a lone rider dashing towards him, a gleaming naginata held firmly in his hand. Smirking, the commander rushed out to meet him. But before the commander could even land one blow, the lone warrior lunged forward, plunging his weapon straight through the commander's chest. The Jikan soldiers had their mouths hanging as they watched the lifeless body of their leader dangle on his horse without even putting up much of a fight. The warrior however was not done. He rode forward, yanking his naginata from the other side of the commander's corpse towards the enemy line. Without even saying a single word, he carved out a bloody path with the ferocity of a ravenous wolf. The Jikan forces trembled in fear at the warrior's might, with some even thinking that they had the misfortune of going up against a god of war. It didn't matter how many they were.

All fell before the might of one man.

0