Prologue Part.2: The Brighter The Light.
41 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A man in elegant clerical robes stepped out onto the balcony of the grand building.

Below him scores of people raised their hands towards him in reverence, some bowed their heads and with closed eyes mumbled psalms or clasped their hands in silent prayer. Others cried out.

“Saint-sama.”

“Deliver us.”

”Bless the Holy Light, praise be to Saint-sama.”

The man on the balcony wore a calm, tranquil smile as he gazed upon the fanatical mass. If he wanted to, a single word from him now could whip them into a religious fervour hell-bent on a Holy crusade to the northern lands or…

“Faithful flock. The Emissary of the Holy Light has rid us of the Darkness that threatened our lands, in the name of the Holy Light we shall enter a time of peace and prosperity for the truly Faithful. Blessed be the Holy Light for it shall guide us to the promised lands.”

A lone long pole rose in the basilica courtyard, impaled on the top of this pike a single severed head. When the gathered crowds saw this they moved as one, a wave of wild elation erupted from them.

The Demon Lord was dead.

“Blessed be the Holy Light.”

“Praise the Holy Light.”

“Blessed be, blessed be.”

The crowd danced and yelled, tears streaming down several worshippers' faces, overseen by the man on the balcony.

He rotated a small gold band on his middle finger. With this, he’d placated the masses, the donations would increase, and he would once more begin to expand the Church's holdings.

Increasing their influence and power.

His false smile almost cracked into a wicked grin, but he clenched his fist, his right hand hidden beneath his flowing robes, to maintain his serene countenance.

The very picture of benevolence.

He cast a quick Blessing over the masses, to further enhance their mood and retreated into the Holy fortress's inner chambers. Closing the doors leading on the balcony, he turned to face the two guards standing there in the shadows of the room.

“Saint-sama what shall we do with the Yuusha now.”

The man turned his gaze to the creature in the cage between the guards. Dressed in rags, bound and gagged was a teenager no older than 17. From his features, it wouldn’t be difficult to assume the boy was of Asian origin.

“Our little assassin over there has served his purpose. Just send him back through a portal if anything else happens we can always summon another one.”

The guards gave a salute as they hoisted the cage and left the room.

Alone now in the privacy of his chambers the Saint’s mask crumbled from his face, he snapped his fingers, and the shadows in the nearest corner twisted into the form of a tall robed figure.

It dropped to take a knee at his side.

“Yes, milord. What is your command.”

The Saint put this hands together thoughtfully.

“With recent events I’m sure we have secured many new demi-human slaves, make sure the slavers guild affords us the proper donation.”

“As you will.”

The cloaked figure gave a head nod and continued to await either further instructions or dismissal.

“Any movement from our opposition in either the Kingdom or the Empire?”

“None O’Son of Light.”

“Those old raccoons and sly foxes won’t stay quiet for long, but while they hesitate we will tighten our stranglehold. As always keep me informed of all their activities. Go now.”

With that, the robed figure began to disappear back into the shadows of the corner, even the “Yes, Milord” faded slowly into the darkness as he went.

Now all the Saint had left to do was inform the Council of his decision.

The Church of the Holy Light, like any large organisation, had a hierarchy. At the top was their God. Below that sat the Saint of Holy Light and his counterpoint the Miko of Holy Light. Tiered under them four archbishop’s, eight cardinals and then sixteen bishops forming the Churches council body.

Below them, a wide array of clerics, pastors, preachers, nuns, reverends, deacons, monks, vicars and priests making up the bulk of the administrative body of the Church.

They were the foot soldiers of the Faith, spreading its teachings among the populace.

Unwavering in their devotion.

Ministries of finance, holdings, hospitality and commerce, worship, music and curates that administered the diocese, which in turn oversaw parishes, that would soon be a buzz implementing the Saint's grand vision of expanse.

Of course, the workload of the Inquisition would also increase.

0