Chapter II: Rebounding Childhood
64 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A day was spent traveling Hyrule Field, and a night was also taken in camp under its open ceiling of stars that stood out like silver blossoms that stared down upon any irises that gave them notice. And Link's irises gave them notice. There were among those precious flowers of the sky, certain stars that stood out from the others in their given directions. To the north stood a bright yellow orb that resembled the sun as it was very radiant. The northeast contained one of fiery red as if it was fashioned in the heart of Death Mountain. Eastward, there stood one in purple as if it possessed royalty, but it wasn't bright as if it were shaded with sobriety and solemness. To the southwest was a fair flower of blue and appeared to reflect his own irises, for indeed it recalled of soft blue eyes that often capture the hearts of many. Then there was one to the west that was golden, and it appeared as a jewel that would merit the value of kings. But then there was the one to the south that was green of deep emerald, and it seemed like as if a fragrant tree had been planted in the heavens bearing witness of life. The Hero's gaze was fixed on this one as he thought of a pair of green irises and the girl behind them. In thought, he was filled with grief, and the gears of his mind worked for a long while. Then he drew out his fairy ocarina as he lay there. He would not play Sarai's song as he could not do so without contacting her, and his surprise would then be ruined. So, he played the song of healing in ease of his heavy heart, and as he played, his heart lifted, heaviness took possession of his eyes, and he was fast asleep with holding the ocarina over his chest.

Dawn came soon, and while the dawn's radiance was still fresh before the sun rose to its prime of its morning light, the lad approached the bridge that stood as the gateway between his adulthood and childhood, his once 'natural life' He dismounted and stood upon the planks fastened with fine twined rope, and there he paused as the fragrant forest air rose with the morning 's mist of dew. He leaned on the rail of rope in facing west with his eyes closed as he took in a flashback, and thus he saw her from that last semi-normal day before everything changed. When she had waited for him here at the bridge as she knew what was coming. And he was so drowned with fear, sorrow, and worry that he almost missed her hadn't she caught him with her serene beautiful voice. "Oh...You're leaving." She looked so downcast in that moment, and yet she managed to smile as her eyes were faded with showering tears, each one a drop of light. He couldn't bring himself to speak as the thought of leaving her took his breath away. The death of the Great Deku Tree, being called on in cursing by the Kokiri, being sent away from home and his friends, and leaving Saria "on top of it all" crushed him. His tears waxed moist in matching hers, and for a moment, nothing was said as gazes were fixed between irises of blue and green. It was in that moment of that day that he had realized that it was in leaving her that he was leaving his whole world, for she was his world. She drew out a special cloth of Kokiri linen and gave it to him. He moved the cloth in uncovering her gift, and it was a fairy ocarina of deku wood from the great tree's branches such as is rare, and only Saria's own had been made like it. Thus she made special effort in crafting this one, but for how long? Her heart had to had been set on it.

"I...I" he tried to speak with his cracking voice, but he couldn't.

"With a voice like that, a bull frog might croak in answer." Saria had said in effort of a cracking giggle, and Link had smiled with a smirk wherewith she was satisfied as she smiled. As solemn as he was, she was the one who could always find the way to get a smile out of him. "With this instrument, please remember us, and ... don't forget me."

He looked at her earnestly then, and he placed her hand with his on the instrument as he locked eyes with her, "I...Will...Come Back."

Link opened his eyes, but Phaelon was hanging from a tree limb as he locked eyes with the Hero at a strange closeness once again. "Hi!" And Link had bolted back from the jolt of it as he threw himself back into the other rail with his hands grasping quickly in stopping his momentum from sending him over and off the bridge.

"Stop Doing That!" He exclaimed.

The fairies giggled as before, and Phaelon simply commented with a sarcastic shake of his rattling head, "Has anyone ever told you that you're skittish?" But Link only huffed and ignored him. But after a moment, Link beckoned Phaelon to him as he whispered to the imp, and even the fairies couldn't overhear. Then off Phaelon went in great speed as he hurried. In great effort of "zooming", Tatle and Tael followed and were filled with curiosity as they were oblivious to what was up.

The kid scurried along through the Lost Woods into the sacred meadow. From the tree line, he observed Saria once again on her deku stump, and beside her lay her ocarina in giving indication that she had been playing earlier. But now her eyes were closed as she sat there in place, and she appeared to be filled with nostalgia as if she were replaying, in her mind, some far distant memories that she held very dearly. Phaelon managed to creep in from behind as he gently slipped away her ocarina, and then in a swift rush, he took off.

Immediately disturbed, Saria was quickly aware of the theft, and followed the skull kid frantically. They would twist and turn through bush, under branch, and over log when occasionally, he would lose her. But always as she thought she lost him, he would tease her as he played her song on her ocarina and then he would stop. Yet before she could find him, he had shifted his position and would be playing again, but the music would always cease before long. And the chase went on for what seemed an hour. Saria's heart had stung less in seeing the skull kid back and she was glad, but today, she was in no mood for this. And now, she was outright furious! Finally, when she was exhausted and was nigh being spent, she found Skull Kid on the stump playing her her song and ocarina. So, she slowed down as she approached the kid until she was nigh two feet from him as she stood and mounted her hands on her hips. And her face was written with anger to say the least, and to agitate her more, he was still playing as if he hadn't taken notice of her. But then something happened that made her heart stop, for directly behind her, a couple of feet in distance, another instrument was playing in match to the skull kid with her ocarina. After all, she only taught that piece to two friends.

The girl of green turned around to freeze in shock, and her face had broken out in tears rendering her features like a passionate painting under drops of rain. Before her stood a boy of twelve with his green cap and kokiri garb along with a few other items giving witness to far distant places, and he was playing a special ocarina as it stood in witness of times and memories. He was playing her song, even after Phaelon had ceased, but then Link finally stopped as they locked in gaze. Minutes went by in silence, for no words were needed to be said. Link held up his ocarina as he had held it so many years ago, and he placed her hands on it with his. Again, their eyes were locked, and eventually, Link broke the silence in a very calm soft voice, "Thank you so much for giving me something to remember. ..." He paused as he sighed, "... And thank you so much for giving me a world to come back to." And as he finished, he smiled a warm smile. For the first time he smiled, and it was as if the sun had broken forth on a winter's morn before spring wherein life took shape.

The green haired girl choked on tears as she threw herself on him in an embracing hug. In following, she gasped deep breaths as if a great weight had been lifted. Afterwards, she pulled away, still clinging to his arms, and she was adorned in a bright smile that not only rivaled Link's, but had outshined it as if it was the first light of the world's creation. "Welcome Home." She said in a soft and lively voice, and he took her by the hand as they walked back to the stump. The skull kid was gone, and Saria's ocarina was left there on the stump. Together, they sat down as they held their ocarinas, and were simply quiet for a minute as they studied each other's faces.

"My anticipation was so great that now I don't know what to say." The boy said sincerely, and Saria just smiled. As she smiled, she took her ocarina and began to play her song, and then Link began to play in harmony. But in harmony to Saria's song, he instead played the song of healing. In sync, they played their duet wherein she took up light fingers as she skittled like a tree dancing in the great winds whereas he gave the tree its base soil wherewith it stood upon in support.

Skull Kid came back and Saria spoke, "We have a lot to talk about as I want to hear your story, but first, ..." Skull Kid joined them at the stump. "... I want to know how in the world you and Skull Kid," she indicated the two of them in gesture, "have become so good of friends. You have to have gotten close to work together and pull off this charade that you did. Yet in the days that I've seen you together, you would give each other the benefit of attention when only to spite, tease, or prank each other."

"Actually," Skull Kid started, "my name is 'Phaelon'" Saria looked at him in question. "Link gave me the name." He said.

To which her mouth dropped in shock, and then she turned to Link who simply shrugged. But then she commented, "You have really gotten close. ... So, are any of you going to answer my question." Saria eyed Phaelon first, but he only shrugged.

"We've, ..." Link started with a lingering tone, and then finished, "...grown on each other."

To which Phaelon's head rattled again, "Yes...You could say that."

Saria looked between them. "Well, that sounds like a story." She said with a hint of sarcasm.

But Link sighed, "Yes,... it is quite the story."

And Saria was itching against the suspense, "So, are you going to tell me?"

Phaelon commented then, "It's a long story."

"And the hour's getting late." Link added.

"We can build a fire!" Tael injected only to be reprimanded by Tatle,

"Right! So you and I can hover around like a couple of fireflies while they talk and have the other children frantic with worry over Saria?"

"No! I was thinking that we could hover around like a couple of embers!!" Tael came back in sarcasm.

And Saria's fairy, Falith, commented, "You two still argue like this?"

"Yes..." Said Phaelon in a grunted answer.

"Let's go home." Link said in a final statement, and the rest followed suit.

So, the company went through the all so familiar Lost Woods and approached the very small, simple, and fair village of the Kokiri of Kokiri Forest. The day was at dusk; wherefore, the shadow of the trees had brought its light ever closer to darkness. What illumination was left to be seen was quite dim. A few Kokiri were astir amidst their village as they took notice of the incoming children. Even in the darkening dusk, one could hardly fail to recognize Saria with her green hair and signature profile. Link was more difficult to recognize in the lack of light, and one of Phaelon's fairies was mistaken for his. But as for Phaelon, he was impossible to mistake, and they were all remotely still with confusion as they watched the skull child walk openly in Kokiri Forest with Saria and Link. And did he have a fairy?

Saria invited them into small house built out of a great deku stump of great size, just as all of the Kokiri had done. Link would had gone to his home, but the hour was late as it would take time in preparing it for a proper night's sleep. They had supper as Saria prepared brim from the wooded ponds for fry, Link fried chips from some potatoes he had found in her pantry, and Phaelon contributed some herbs, berries, and other findings he had gathered in the wild as he typically survived on. Link cooked and fried the brim and chips and Saria played a song, a song that he had not known nor recognized. And she ceased as Link had finished cooking, so he asked, "What was that?"

And Saria smiled mischievously, "That, was my song of flavors. It has a magic of adding flavor to prepared meals as they cook. There is no one way to play it as it has many variations wherewith it adapts to various meals and recipes."

She smiled as he was dumbfounded before he commented, "I am so going to have to learn that."

"UnUn" She replied in shaking her head while he cocked his as she continued her response, "I intend to have you come through me for it." And she smiled a mischievous grin.

Link countered in a smirk, "You know very well that you don't have to bribe me to get me to spend time with you."

"I know," She answered, "I just like having the insurance all the same."

While they dined at Saria's table, they talked, joked, and they laughed heartily on many occasion. After their meal, they sat about in making themselves comfortable. She did have a small hearth under a few stones as the smoke was channeled updraft through the hollow of a knot of the deku house. Link and Saria were a sit on simple wooden chairs while Phaelon took his choice in sitting on a stool that was a perfect fit for him. And the fairies were nestled comfortably on a mantle piece.

After having been settled down, they talked some more. Saria having pressed the matter more, had finally gotten them to open up in telling their tale, and so they both did in taking turns for their part. With her, Link was more comfortable in going into more detail in the telling. But Link left out a few details, particularly that which involved the Fierce Deity as he felt it best to keep it secret, especially after his recent conversation with Zelda and the two spirits. When they came to a close, Saria was speechless to say the least. It was a lot to take in, and after a moment of silence, Saria made comment. "Well, now I understand things more." She paused with a sigh, "...I'm glad you're home."

Link gave a nod, "It is so good to be back."

In time as the night wore on, they were all bunked and asleep. Saria had her bed despite that she had offered otherwise. Link had the floor to himself, and where was Phaelon? Apparently, skull children typically sleep in the vines up in the trees, for Phaelon gathered a few lines of rope as he rigged them up with the ceiling's braces. So, he slept upon the ropes, and Link smirked at the sight with a shake of the head. Link surprisingly found that he could not sleep much, for while his body in its fatigue was crashed, his mind was utterly busy as he was just filled with so much excitement that he was home, and he was going through so many flashbacks and memories. Mostly, in the end, he thought of her, and he was grievously sorry in that he could not shake his mind from it in the guilt of how she had waited and how he had kept her waiting. And again, that complication came to mind that would ever gnaw at him, that She was Kokiri and He was Hylian.

Likewise, Saria slept little as she was filled with so many emotions, thoughts, and memories. She was excited over Link's return, but she was also concerned. Saria was concerned for Link from what he had gone through, and she also understood what he was going through. She would not approach him on it; she knew better as that would only agitate 'things' and intensify his problem of mind. Saria knew Link better than anyone, and she understood what he needed, she understood what it meant for him to be home, and she understood how he had ever only desired to have a 'natural life' For that was ever an issue since he was a boy, in mind that is, and had originally begun in his troubles with Mido over whether he was a Kokiri or not. But Saria also knew how she had a major role in play for his ability to have that 'natural life' For their entire lives in the forest, they had been together, and practically speaking, they were each other's whole world. She sighed at the thought. She knew that she loved him. But while she knew that he felt strong about her, she wasn't quite sure that he reciprocated her affections, and that was only something she could learn in due time. And there was another complication wherewith she was uncertain that if he did reciprocate her affections, would she be able to respond to it. Or at least, not in the way they would wish. But regardless of whatever may happen and what tomorrow's future may bring, she knew that she loved him, and she was quite satisfied with that wherewith she finally fell asleep with that in mind.

On the following morn, just before dawn, Link left Saria's house through the calm and silent Kokiri Forest. None of the other children were astir yet, and the mist of dew had risen fairly dense and thick. He approached the great meadow of the Deku Tree, and though he was dead, his memorable great trunk still stood to stand for years to come. The Tree's figure remained in absence of leaves of life. No shelter did it offer anymore, nor has it done so for quite a while. Light from the sun began to shine forth, and the tree line permitted it to flicker in sentiment as that of a candle. First, Link took his moment of respect and remembered the old spirit as it stood to be the closest thing that he had to a father. Aside from him, Sarai stood in place of many roles: mother, sister, and a confident friend. There was no one he held closer. Navi took up in mantle of some of those roles and responsibilities for a time while he was away on his first adventure. But then he was proven ready to do without for a time. However, of course, Tatle was there for him in assistance as he faced the madness of Termina. But she seemed rather like a nagging sister that bugged him more than anything else, yet he was glad of her company as she stood as a barrier between him and insanity.

After mulling over such memories, Link looked diligently for any sign of the sprout that he remembered from his "past" that should rise and succeed the Great Deku Tree. But to his surprise, he wasn't there. There was no sign nor leaf of him. Link was cold all of a sudden despite that the sun had risen to a full dawn as the morn was wearing on, for he felt that something was out of place. And for a moment, a frantic expression was adorned on his face.

"He isn't here." A soft voice said, and Link turned swiftly around to find Saria standing before him with a serene gesture of comfort, wisdom, and sorrow.

"What do you mean?" Link enquired, startled both by the implication of her statement and by her presence.

And she stepped forward as she was very solemn, "I know who you are looking for." She had gentle and caring eyes, "The sprout is not here." To which Link was taken aback, and Saria answered his face of question, "I remember it...Link. I remember your "past"and your trials with the lord of darkness who would had reigned over these lands if not for you."

And the boy before her stood stunned, "How? How do you remember that when others do not?"

Then to that, she sighed, "The others are not Kokiri, we are different, and being that I was directly involved, I've always had some haze of a memory as if from a dream." Saria paused as she allowed Link to digest her words. "But when you came back in time to avert Ganondorf's plans, and Zelda gave you your urgent task in leaving, you had come home for a moment's time, though so brief it was." Link's mind was turning in its gears as he was listening, and she continued, "Do you remember that brief moment? ... You told me a part of your tale as you had gone to Zelda and how she was sending you away on your task, and said that she taught you some magnificent songs of such rich music. And so, you played for me the Minuet of the Forest." Link gasped in breath. "That, Link, was when I begun to really remember."

And Link, filled with shock, enquired further, "How much do you remember?"

Sadly, Saria bowed her head, "I remember waiting seven years for you when you did not come back. When Phanthom Ganon had ransacked the meadow in taking me as his prize. You had returned and saved me, and you were grown as a Hylian ... because that's what you are." She paused as she saw that the statement pained him, and it seemed devastating to him. For now he was full of tears and weighed down to his knees. "We were separated and though it pained me so," She went on, "I was glad to help, for my part, and proudly see you bring us to peace." She finished, but she watched him still beset with grief. "Link? What's wrong?" She asked. Already, she knew the answer, but she wanted him to say it, to confess it. To get it out as he needed to do. And he struggled for a great a while before he could finally manage to say it.

"I am Hylian ... and you're Kokiri." She was surprised to hear him name her specifically in reference to his problem. "On that day, you had said how we were not meant to be together."

"Link," she started, but he went on,

"You are the only one who knows me more than anyone ever could from my childhood, and even now you are the only one who remembers me in my 'past'"

Saria raised his head with her hand upon his chin as they looked upon each other. "I have always ever regretted those words." And then she went on, "But Link, we are together now. We have a whole childhood before us." And they both smiled, for indeed, that would be how it would normally be. But that was not to say that Link was at rest, for it bothered him how she had waited all of those times over their past and his adventure to Termina. And for what? For him to grow old while she watches him die? He knew what she meant to him, but he'd dare not say it. Not as how things stand. It was a great complication that drove a rift between them in what he had so desired so dearly in his heart. He loved her in both word and deed, and he knew what he meant to her. For as she was his whole world as only she could bring a smile to his solemn face, he also was her world in that it devastated her to see him leave and wait ever on his coming in hope unrequited, and even now he could not answer her greatest desire to join in spirit. But then he sighed, and he took some rest in what grace he had being home and spending what measure of time he had with her.

So, Link smiled to her with a nod. "You're right. ... We have our childhood together."

Yet then he remembered his question at hand. "Do you know why he hasn't sprouted?"

But Saria only shook her head to his disappointment, "No...I really don't know nor understand why he hasn't come up."

"Then what of the Kokir?" He asked, but she simply answered,

"We will continue doing what we've been doing. Just being Kokiri."

"Well," Link smiled as the morning had waxed hot, "We are living our childhood again, like the old days." Saria smiled to that, but then Link's grin became mischievous as he tagged her and took off in a run back into the forest, "I'll beat you to the house before you can tag me!!" Following her surprise, Saria chased him with a matching grin. But as they came into the forest, they had found the Kokiri gathered in a mob. Apparently, as they were late in their return, Phaelon had awaken as he made his way to leave, but Mido was made aware of his presence and thus had achieved to make a scene in a fuss over him.

Simply put, it was not customary for skull children to walk among the Kokiri in their abode. And few Kokiri associated with them in the Lost Woods in terms of friendship. Naturally, Mido despised them, and so he had the crowd hyped up against Phaelon. Link and Saria slipped in among the crowd to see what was going on. "After disappearing and finally leaving us alone, one of these cursed skull children has had audacity to come in among us!" Mido shouted, "They simply do not belong."

But then Fado, one of the wise, stood forth as he entered the congregation. "A skull child he maybe, but what harm has he done to us to warrant such behavior from us? Must we all 'gang up' on him?" And Fado continued, "Has he stolen anything? Is there any evidence of wrong in his actions? Unless he has warranted otherwise, we should be hospitable with his visits. And as far as I am concerned, I see no reason we cannot admit him in as one of us; unless, as I have said, his actions warrant otherwise."

"One of us!?!" Mido disputed, "He is a skull child and nothing like us! He could never fit in with us!!"

"They are not far different than us Kokiri. They are 'eternal children', and uniquely, this one has a fairy. Two even." Fado commented, but Mido only scowled,

"And having a fairy makes him a Kokiri??"

"Didn't you say once, that I wasn't a Kokiri because I didn't have a fairy? And now when a child comes with a fairy, he is not compatible with the Kokiri?" Link stood forth as he firmly confronted Mido, and Mido was dumbstruck as his eyes seemed as if they would almost pop out. Mido was speechless as he was caught entirely off guard with Link's return.

"Well Mido? Are you going to answer him?" Fado urged him.

After Mido stood silent further, Saria gave her judgment over the matter. "Mido, you have really stepped your foot in it this time. For your own word of judgment has lost all merit as you have stepped on your own tail. And I not only stand with Fado and Link on this, but Phaelon, as is his name, is my own guest." And at that, the crowd disbanded as there was nothing further to be discussed.

Mido almost smiled at Link's return as he had sincerely missed him, more than he would had admitted a year ago, but in his humiliation and pride, he merely huffed and stomped off as he went to his home to mull over things. Then Phaelon approached Fado as he had stood up for him first and thanked him, and in following, he thanked Saria and Link as well. "You are always welcome to stay with us if you ever choose to do so." Sarai offered him, "You've earned it."

But Phaelon refused, "Thank you very kindly, but actually, I belong in the woods. I do like it here however, and I may visit from time to time." And so Phaelon left for the time being as they had enough excitement for one day.

But then Link remembered something he had been curious of. "Saria," He asked, "How is that as I'm a Hylian, I haven't become a skull child?"

She just pondered and then simply looked up to him as she answered, "That, I believe, is something only the Great Deku Tree could answer." And Link thoughtfully nodded. "So," She started, "What do we do now dear Hero?" Link just smiled in locking eyes with her green irises as he merely shrugged, and Saria laid her hand on his shoulder as her smile gradually became playful. "Well," she said, "We haven't reached the house yet, and... I believe you're tagged." Gruffly, Link narrowed his eyes as Saria giggled and took off in a sprint, and Link smirked and chased after her. So, they were happy in those days, and Link spent his days with Saria rebounding his childhood as they were together years before.

How would you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
1