Chapter VII: A Fated Battle
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grandiven arrived with five hundred strong in the early morning, and they stood in the fields of Hyrule and Eldin. Sir Link stood with his company upon the southern hills as he looked on in observance so that he might see when to make his move. Then before noon came, he saw the Gerudo come forth, and they spanned over their side of the field. And the lines took place for battle, but the Gerudo King rode forth upon his dark Gerudo Stallion, and the locks of his crimson hair flew with the wind in match of his steed's raven black mane. Quite signature, he wore his black armor of old which bore inscriptions of speech and language of the Rova sisters and their ancestral tribe of witches.

The king stood in his saddle upon his mount in suit for parlay. Grandiven was a gentleman of honor, and though it could be said that he acted naively against better judgment, he answered the king's noble gesture. So, the marshal rode forth alone, and he bore armor of Goron Steel. He wore no helm as his dark hair flew freely, and his steed was a thoroughbred.

Upon another hill north, in Eldin, the Shiekah shiek stood with her daughter, and she watched with concern that the marshal would dare trade speech with the King of Thieves. Likewise, the knight of Ordon had cocked his head in question of the marshal's actions.

So, Ganondorf and Grandiven met, and for the first minute, there was a solid moment of silence. "What words have you with me, king of thieves?" Grandiven enquired.

And Ganondorf simply answered. "So that you might give way for me and my people to return to our own."

The marshal was taken aback. "I don't understand. ... Explain yourself."

"My purpose was to obtain the Triforce." The king replied, "But the means of accessing it have been permanently lost. ... I have thus no further purpose than to return from whence I came, and my people with me." Grandiven raised his brows as Ganondorf added in his sincere countenance. "Surely, further bloodshed of war can be spared betwixt our peoples."

"A breech of which you have already made as well as so declared." The marshal rebutted.

To which the king cocked his head as he responded in a targeted question. "So you would have yourself responsible for the continued grievance?"

And upon that question, the marshal stood silent as he pondered his situation. For how could the king be trusted? Did not the thief come for war, to claim the Triforce his people swore to protect? A man that was banished for treachery? But then could he be telling the truth to seek to return home? Is further bloodshed needless? If that is indeed the case, then would not the marshal be responsible? Would he be blameless? Grandiven gave considerable thought, and after awhile, he gave word to Ganondorf to permit them to take their leave. And Ganondorf smiled courteously as he bowed.

Then Grandiven held his hand high, and a runner came to him in haste. Whereas, he gave the order for the army to divide and make way. The runner was stunned, but he submitted nonetheless. So, the Hylians divided in giving way, as the Gerudo took to march through. And the king and marshal stood yet in their meeting as they observed.

In seeing it, Impa stood aghast, "The Fool!! On what authority does he permit the enemy leave?"

As for the knight of Ordon, he simply had enough and took his company down in double time.

Before the Gerudo passed through, a great part of their force remained on the Eldin side, and then a signal was made from main body of the Gerudo army whereupon those within the divide struck out. In following, the main army attacked. And before Grandiven could react, Ganondorf had drawn his sword and ran his blade through him.

The Gerudo in the divide worked their momentum outward to the Central Field's side where they began to splay out in rebounding upon their foe. But then, from the west, came the Hylians of Lanayru as they smote into the Gerudo in plugging their splaying formation. The Hylians of Lanayru took grounds fast as the weight of their hands gave the impression of granite, for they were the blue knights. As for Sir Link's company, they had immediately oppressed the Gerudo's flank. Link and Fado fought beside each other as the company spearheaded to heart of the battle as the divide managed to close upon the thieves that were caught in it. And the knights of Lanayru drove forth to the front along side the company of the knight of Ordon. So the battle went long and fierce.

Then Ganondorf came, and in his great might, he drove a wedge betwixt the companies, one to the north and the other to the south. But then stood a single knight before him who awaited his onset. So, the king of crimson hair stood tall and erect as a tower and halted as he was intrigued by the the Hylian's valiant stance. The knight stood tall among the stature of most Hylian men, his countenance was sober and fierce, and he stood emboldened in his clad of armor. "Few there are who would stand before me, Sir Knight, when most men quail. But do you stand with the given feats, or do you stand in a fool's effort?" Ganondorf spoke in both honoring and taunting the knight.

"I stand a humble man before a Foul King who seeks out war with the pillage of the innocent to the means of his own gain. ... Once you pursued a noble desire in hope for your people, but in answer, have twisted that calling to a dark place as if the darkness would give answer. So, you are imbalanced, lord Ganondorf, and though you doom Hyrule to the pit, you are thus doomed to fail the triumph of your own desire." The Knight of Ordon answered.

Ganondorf stood serene while his eyes gave himself away as he was moved with understanding as he had perceived his given reference to the Triforce. Yet that understanding turned to malice, and a yellow light gleamed in his crimson irises. "Your words are as bold as your stance. But such courage is folly. And whether you wisely stand aside or take stand in folly, the choice is yours." Yet Sir Link, the Knight of Ordon, stood, and at time's length, he drew his blade in answer as it gleamed slightly from what light stood with them. "So Be It." Ganondorf replied gravely.

The King of the Desert's waste drew his sword as its blade was long and curved slightly at its point, and it gleamed brightly in the given shadow of the storm as its dark blade adsorbed the darkness. So, Link advanced swiftly towards his foe, and as the Gerudo lunged his blade, the Hylian rolled in missing it. And his momentum, afterwards, enabled him to leap, but Dragmire only brought up his arm in its plate of armor. The knight's slash rendered no gash, and he receded to raise his shield as the dark blade returned to come down upon him. And so time passed as Link danced around the mighty king, for when one possessed agility, the other possessed power and strength. Link laid many fruitless slices against the armor as steel met steel, yet occasionally his bite would find flesh whereas Ganondorf would cry in a raging spin that would throw the knight aside. And so they continued on. But then a moment came when Link left his flank open for a second too long, and Ganondorf's gauntlet smote him upon the the side of his rib cage. So, the knight flew into the earth from the tremendous impact. As Sir Link was dazed for a moment, he came to move just in time for Dragmire's blade to miss his neck and cut off a spike from his helm. Link was wearing down, and as his stamina showed signs of closure, he grew desperate. He took distance as drew forth his bow with an arrow of ice, but the king was more swift than the knight could anticipate. And he swept the weapon from his hand. In following, Link ducked under the dark blade, and in the moment's determination, he drew out the mask of the Fierce Deity as he was convinced that it was his only choice. But as he was nigh to having adorned it, Ganondorf's sword had unexpectedly returned, and the blade destroyed the mask as well as it took out Link's right eye. And in that moment, the mask's destruction emitted a great flash that was seen across the darkness from the east to the west. Moreover, it rent a great gorge into the earth of Eldin fields stretching from the north to the south. Ganondorf was stunned as the knight dazed in the ground momentarily, and he perceived that he had possessed a great mask of power. Of such he had only heard tale of and read of in legends considered as here-say.

"You were a fool to holdback such a trinket." The king spat, and as Link attempted to rise despite his bloody socket, Ganondorf's blade smote his abdomen to a fatal wound. And as Dagmire withdrew his blade, he honored the knight. "Among Hylians, you were a worthy opponent and you fought well and honorably. ... I would that you were an ally, yet even as I leave you to die, I bid you die in peace. ... But I will take what I came for, and none shall live who stand in my path." And then the king left his side as he joined his Gerudo in the remainder of the battle.

Fado, two of the company's soldiers, and two knights moved swiftly in bearing the Knight of Ordon from the battle. For Link still drew breath. So, they left the field, and when they returned to the hill from whence they had advanced, they were met by Tempa and Impa. For the shiek came over her bruises. As the Shiekah gave attendance to the Hero's wounds, Link gave command to his apprentice. "Fado, I want you to make haste to the city so their majesties might heed his coming. Report of what happened. Queen Zelda will know what to do." Link smiled to him then, "I was glad to have you at my side. I wasn't used to having a brother in arms as I have always fought alone."

Fado nodded, "It's good to be there for a brother." And then he left. Afterwards, Impa and Tempa set a great cloth to rest him in, and the two soldiers carried him, the two Shiekah attended him at his sides, and the two knight gave them escort. So, they brought him back to Ordon.

Ganondorf and the Gerudo wiped out the rest of the Hylian forces that remained when others scattered. And the Gerudo continued on to Hyrule Castle Town.

Fado returned to the castle at Link's bidding, and brought report to their majesties. And when Queen Zelda saw that he came alone, her heart stopped in a sudden foreboding. "Your majesties," he greeted gravely as he took kneel, and he lifted his head as he went on in giving his report. "I bring word that the battle of Eldin Fields did not bode well as the army has been wiped out. For Grandiven foolishly conceded to the desert king's request, without your authorization, to give them leave to return to the desert in sparing bloodshed. Without the actions of Sir Link and the aid of the blue knights of Lanayru, the battle would had gone ill in the moment's instance. And we held until the foul Dragmire came forth into our ranks and drove a wedge betwixt our forces. Only the Knight of Ordon dared stand to face him, and he fought valiantly. And so I was able to understand a little more of his previous experiences. But without the Master Sword, he could not endure against the Great King of Evil, or so I call him, and so he attempted to use a special mask of power, the such like I had never seen. But Dragmire destroyed it causing a great flash into the skies and rending a great gorge into the earth of the fields. And so my lord, Sir Link, fell before the foe, though he breathes still. The Shiekah have borne him away to his homeland, and the rest of the army are scattered if not slain. And the Gerudo come now for the city."

As she heard of the Hero's fate, she faltered in her throne as a wealth of memories rushed her mind's thoughts and her heart's emotions. But now she stood from her throne, and Daphnes stood with her as so did Nohansen step forward alike. "Carnus!"

And the marshal of the city stood forth and acknowledged, "Your majesty?"

"Gather the people within the castle and direct them out through the secret passages and escape routes," Zelda commanded, " and gather your force in its greater part in the secret caverns. Assign only what's needed to make the resistance at the city's wall look convincing. Upon their break, I want that resistance to cease and abandon their posts to survive whether they run, hide, or withdraw. But they must not throw away their lives needlessly. We have already sacrificed too much in the tears of Hylia." Then came in seventy of the blue knights of Lanayru, for these who lived had left the battle as the only standing survivors.

And Daphnes gave word, "I will stand with the knights of Lanayru in the alleys so that the deception will be more convincing." He looked at Zelda who stood coldly as her eyes locked with his in concern, and he added a comment in elaboration that only she could hear. "It is time for the blood of royals to likewise take risks." And with a downcast face, the queen nodded.

Fado and Mairus stood alongside with the queen, and to Fado she gave a great chain to bear and wield. They were dark silver and forged by the sages of old as they were designed to bind powerful prisoners, who had since been banished, the Interlopers of Fused Shadows. "I will entice him in," Zelda explained, "and I will close my maw when it is ready. Use the chain. You will know when."And they stood ready at the mouth of a shadowed cavern as they looked out upon the castle.

The Gerudo met the mote and wall with arrows against arrows. And when Ganondorf came, the thieves covered him with a volley of suppressing darts. When he was ready, the king released a bolt of energy that bore a great hole into the great wooden gate. Afterwards, he swung in a spin as he grabbed the Gerudo thief behind him who was prepared, and he slung her through the hole as she landed professionally on the other side with her twin sabers. Then another two came through as they each bore battle axes of the iron knuckles from their temple. With their axes they cut the chains whereas the gate was lowered, and the thieves took access.

The Hylians withdrew and others fled as was commanded, and the invaders quickly took positions in raiding triumphantly. Daphnes engaged the enemy with his blue knights as the foes were well pleased in their onset of the city.

Indeed Ganondorf Dragmire wreaked havoc in Hyrule, and the city was all but destroyed. Yet the knights of Lanayru held their ground. The main force of Gerudo advanced on and spent all of their strength to enter the castle and its halls.

As for the Gerudo King, he dramatically approached the Temple of Time. And a wave of nostalgia overwhelmed him as recalled how he stood here last when all was almost his for the taking, before a certain small boy from an estranged forest ruined everything. He had never had the chance to execute his plans. And so was his mind now consumed in great malice as he lived out this moment to the hatred of all of his enemies. He WILL now attain his desires. Yet as he entered, there stood Nohansen, the elder king. He was tall and erect like the Gerudo, a great golden crown sat upon his brow, his irises as blue as his daughter's, and below his long white beard, he adorned crimson red robes.

"How fares Hyrule, my lord?" Dragmire asked in taunting as he too kneel in mockery to the memory of younger days. "It is a failed legacy is it not?" The Gerudo continued, "For despite all of your wisdom, I would had succeeded, and in obtaining the Triforce, I would today be in rule. Yet only at the word of a peasant child, you manage to not necessarily stop me but to merely postpone me. And now your daughter fails to withstand me. Moreover, you have broken your oaths of protection as your lives have been given. You have failed to protect the Triforce."

"I came to deny the man who had deceived me and so treacherously betrayed me." Nohansen said sternly. "You had the chance to make peace and help your people thrive, and in casting it aside you have chosen only destruction for us all. A doomed fate that will linger for generations. Yet, for my blindness, I am also responsible for that doom, and I have come to meet my past to its face. And so I will end."

Ganondorf looked upon him solemnly, "So be it." And then the thief grinned. "While I do not have the means to traditionally access the Triforce, I will force my way in. I will tear down this place," He walked passed the Hylian to the pedestal, "And you will be caught in its rubble." Dragmire then smote the pedestal in all his strength and power. It tore asunder and the whole temple shook in a tremor that only grew. Then Dragmire turned around in a smile. "Poetic. The elder king goes down in an ending of the merits of time and his ancestral oath. For the Hylians and the Royal Family are sworn servants to Hylia to protect the Triforce. ... This day...It Ends." He walked back to the entrance as stones began to come down, a piece here and a piece there. Dragmire turned for a last time, and he added a last word to the old Hylian King, "You have chosen your fate."

And Nohansen added, "And you have chosen yours."

Ganondorf grunted, and then he made exit. So ended Nohansen Hyrule, the elder king.

The main Gerudo force now stood all in the castle as they ransacked, pillaged, and sought for the guards, lords, and the Royal Family. But then Zelda prayed to Hylia, and gave word to her commanders. So, they sent off great explosions that took out the spires of the tower and the very foundations, and the castle came down into ruin upon the Gerudo, sparing only a few. "Hylia forgive me." Zelda spoke silently to herself.

In castle town, the blue knights endured, and Daphnes survived triumphant.

Ganondorf stood without of the temple to observe, and he smiled passionately as he watched the Temple fall stone for stone and in heaps of wreckage. But then he stood agape. For alas, something went wrong as the tremors shook violently across the earth, and as the temple tore itself in ruin, light enveloped it. A ring struck out that pierced the ears of all in the vicinity, the alleys, and even the caverns, so that they were all brought to a pause as they quenched and covered their ears. And when it was over, Ganondorf lifted up his head as he removed his hands from his ears, and he gasped as the temple was gone. It was not there, not even its ruins. But in its place was merely a bare lot of turf, and there stood an older man in great robes bearing golden words of the ancient Hylian language. He had great white burnsides and appeared to bear great experience and wisdom. Beside him lay Nohansen, and he was dead from the ruin. To the sight of it, the king of the desert said never a word as he remained speechless, and he simply gazed upon the man.

Eventually the man spoke, "I am Rauru, the sage of light, who had pre-hence resided in the Sacred Realm into which you sought to enter. My lord, you have broken the rules of protocol as you thought to force your way in, but in doing so, it tore not only the structure. For as it fell apart, it caused a rent in time and space. It is no longer here as it has been removed from you and your rash ambitious grasp. It has gone to a mysterious woods where strange spirits dwell. It is a place that not even you can fathom nor understand. For it has power of beguiling even the wise and it permits passage to only those it wills. Few have traversed the outskirts, but none have managed to learn its depths. And as for my house and even the chamber of sages, they have been disbanded. We are reserved now to our terrestrial responsibilities in watching the lands of our jurisdiction. ... You have worked to the fruits of desolation, which is all now that remains to you."

Then Ganondorf faltered faint as he dropped to his knees, and he was spent. Fado came upon the scene, and seeing the foul foe, he hastily threw himself upon him in wrestling him down in binding him in the chain. So Ganondorf was defeated, and the many surviving Gerudo were taken captive. The Royal family and all of Hyrule were left to mourn for what was lost.

The War of Ruin was over.

How do you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
1