Epilogue
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ten thousand years later ...

A young knight who was training in the academy of Hyrule Castle, went into the wild with little else than a satchel of food and water and a torch to guide. He never took a solid camp as he took many small breaks and naps. For as lithe as he traveled, he traveled swift and seemingly continuous. A common brown shirt of a tunic he wore along with a plain set of traveler's trousers.

Though the societies of civilization had grown great and numerous across the map, the wild had its own way of life that grew amidst the standing civilizations, and it was no less significant. So, the youth of sixteen years in age braved himself through bush, shrubs, and vines as he crossed paths with many a wolves, deku shrubs, and bears. Ever northward he went beneath the shadow of Death Mountain.

At length, the young Hylian came to his destination where he might brave where only the few valiant and wise might venture, the Lost Woods. Indeed this was a mysterious woods as it was filled with darkness, be it night or day, and the gloom of the cold mist and fog always pervaded its grounds. The trees stood as once living dekus, now dead, and they gave horrific faces with mouths agape, some in laughter, some in anger, and others with smiles of one who had gone mad. The Lost Woods was not pleasant as told in the histories of the days in old. But the wise reason that the woods had changed in safeguard of its heart as to ward away those of easy and faint of hearts. But one must be cunning and bright too, for though he be brave, if he traveled too carelessly, the fog would envelope and swallow him that he would be lost to only find himself once again where he had begun. But the knight was both brave and wise, for indeed he was the youngest cadet of the academy to ever achieve knighthood. And the knight wittingly found his way; thus, he found Korok Forest at the heart.

The Korok Forest, unlike the Lost Woods, was very vibrant with life and color that expressed simple beauty and joy. The Koroks came out as the Hylian strolled through the main path. "Twee Hee Hee!!" They randomly exclaimed as their numbers grew in appearance. And the knight looked upon them in great amusement as he walked ever onward until at last there stood before him the Great Deku Tree tall with many leaves that resembled peach blossoms. In height, he stood as a great hill that could hardly seem insignificant in sight of a mountain, and his breadth of lumber could build many houses. For indeed, he was very old, and his spirit was older. Great branches extruded from his front in even as if they represented great eye brows, and in addition to his features with the given growth and bark, he had a large nose and a great mouth. Before him, in a stone pedestal upon the remains of the original Temple of Time, as a replica had been built on a great plateau far south near Faron, stood a legendary sword. Its hilt was blue with green leather wrapped upon its grasp, and its guards extruded outward like the wings of a phoenix. And in emblem of its most notable signature was the engravement of the Triforce upon its blade in symbol.

The knight stood forth, and to his astonishment, the tree spoke in a voice that bellowed with patience and depth that seemingly matched the patience and depth of his great roots. "Welcome young knight of the royal house. I see that you are another of the few contestants to find his way to my presence for the trial of the sword. Of whom am I honored by such fair presence in the name of Hyrule?"

With a sigh, the youth stood stunned, for though he was well read on the history and legends concerning the aged plant, nothing could prepare him for his first experience engaging with the wise spirit, much less for conversing with a 'talking tree'. At length, the Hylian managed to speak. "I am Link, Sir Link by title, a young knight assigned by the order of the Royal Family to take on the task of a knight to face the trial of the wild and wood and to attempt the trial of the sword."

The Great Deku Tree smiled in hearing his name as the birds twirled many beautiful notes from his branches and limbs. "Before you stands the sword that seals the darkness as it proved in legend's history to be Evil's Bane. It is called the Master Sword. The Trial of the Sword merits a simple test. One must simply draw it from its sleeping home. But the sword has a will of its own as it houses the spirit that serves Hylia, and only one she chooses can wield the blade wherein she resides. She does not look on one as Hylians do, for she looks on the heart in its bravery, its wisdom, its virtue, and its breakable or unbreakable spirit. Only one that is worthy will be chosen by the sword. Over the centuries, many have tried and failed. Moreover it only chooses a master when the time has come when Hyrule needs a Hero. If a Hero is needed, then the calamity of the dreadful spirit, Ganon, shall return. Wherefore, the Chosen Hero and the Princess, the maiden of destiny, must be valiant to seal the demon away. ... I must warn you, that if you should have difficulty with taking it, the sword finds you unworthy, and you persist, then you will surely die where you stand." In a deep breath the great tree chuckled a long chuckle with a jovial sentiment before closing. "Best of Luck ... young one."

Link nodded after soaking in the words of the great tree and their meaning. In truth, he did not want it, none of it. But in understanding the legend and the truth of the tree's words concerning the peril that maybe, he could not refuse the trial and what it held. He stepped forth onto the platform of stone and marble, his grasp was placed reverently on the hilt, and with a grip and grunt he pulled on it. ... But it did not move. Was that it? Did he try? Did he try properly? Did he pull enough? Should he persist? Amidst all of these questions, he paused.

And to Link's pause the great deku commented, "Do you concede? Do you have courage? Are you the Hero?"

The knight thought swiftly then, and then as if in simple clarity, he understood. He must face the truth of accepting the role of the Hero, to face the fears of Ganon and the pressures of the people in holding the mantle, to have Courage. Yes! That is the test!! Does he have Courage to persist and claim the role selflessly despite his not having any desire for it! And at that, he mustered himself again, and he persisted to tug on the blade and work on it with all of his might, even if it meant his life. For Hyrule and all that he loved was worth it. Then to a sudden!! It budged. An inch of the blade came up, and so he persisted. He summoned all of his strength, and at last, indeed, the blade came forth. Link of the wild, and young knight of Hyrule, held aloft the Master Sword.

"Well done young Hero." The Great Deku Tree stated in congratulations with wisdom to add. "You carry yourself in great honor. But be prepared. The people know the stories, the roles, and the legends. They know the sword. The weight of the Hero's mantle is great enough, but with it, you will now bear the mantle of fame. Beware of thyself and walk wisely lest thou be consumed with the popularity in neglect to your mantle. ... However, already I knew at the revelation of your name. For unknown to many, a 'Link' has always risen whenever a Hero is needed. My spirit was always there, and I remember them. You recall to me of them: the Heroes of Sky, of Time, and of Twilight. You share their name nobally."

At last Link finally spoke, "Thank you."

And then a small Korok, by the name of Chio brought a scabbard for the Master Sword to sheath. A rumor runs among the forest that this Korok was once the famous 'Fado' of the old Kokiri. Then after as Link bade farewell with the guardian of the forest, he was greeted by a feisty and enthusiastic Korok. "Hee Hee Ha!! My name is Maca! ... You know ... I was once a rambunctious and proud little 'know it all', but now that's not me. I am the Korok that knows the woods better than anyone!! I took it upon myself to take the great feat to be the forest's guide." Link feigned to be impressed, though he was intrigued with the Korok who behaved as a 'cute' show off child. "So," the Korok continued, "I will guide you out of the forest through the Lost Woods."

"How did you come by your name Maca?" The curious Hylian asked.

Maca stood still then in their walk. "Oh that was a long time ago. Before then I was a great Kokiri Boss! At least I think. And I had another name."

Perked at that, Link enquired. "Oh? And what name was that?"

The Korok shrugged. "I actually don't remember... But I know it begun with 'M'!!"

And together the young knight, bearing the legendary blade, strode with the amusing Korok on his way out of the mysterious forest.

A girl of green stood in the hills about the Korok Forest looking out upon the two traveling in each other's company. She leaned over the rocks and branches. Her hair was green as so was her irises. For Saria, the last Kokiri, had observed the young knight, and so she watched him as he left.

"Well, the young Hero makes his ancestors proud. His tale shows promise of exciting, bitter, and joyful adventures altogether. I am proud. ... Sigh ... Oh my Link, though he is honorable, he is not you." The aged youth breathed deeply as her eyes shed joyful tears. "So, I must wait still for you, my Link. ... For the journeys continue, and so the Legend will now live ... in the Wild."

How do you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
2