Chapter 43: Best way to start a day is a battle and making new allies.
235 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone grabbed something for their selves. Forge is full of countless different weapons gifted to us by the dwarfs who forgot them here.

Sadly they weren't picking the most effective weapons, but rather weapons that look cool or interesting to them.

Well, long as they don't choose something exotic, it is okay, I guess.

We couldn't find any armor for humans in our group. Dwarven armor is too small for us to wear, and sadly they can't adjust their sizes like my prosthetic arm.

Other than that, it's been almost two weeks since we occupied this building, and everything seems fine.

We found a water well nearby and stored much water as we could into barrels we found.

To create a bigger living space, I designed a barricade system around the forge.

When enough people come here, we will be building that and keep wild Mud walkers away for good.

About the first Dwarven king's tomb, Grumps don't know where its located, but he assumes it might be inside the castle in the middle of the city.

The tomb can wait for now. My main priority is creating a safe zone where I can raise an army and produce enough food and equipment for that army.

I've been searching every corner of this city for remains, but because Hollows don't even leave a single bone after devouring their prey, I only managed to raise twelve skeletons in two weeks.

I am ashamed because I raised two hundred times larger force in five days before.

But keeping my thoughts away, I encountered new monsters as well.

Giant Bats that are bigger than a hound, aggressive, and smarter than most creatures I encountered.

They threw stones and spit acid from above.

I used my flame spear to take two of them out. Thankfully, bats left us alone after that.

Sadly Giant Bat meat is poisonous, and their body parts aren't usable in crafting.

But nothing more happened, and that is a thing. We are all alive, healthy (at least physically), and ready for a big day. Optimist went to the entrance and eavesdropped on the two guards talking right behind the gate.

Optimist said that he heard a powerful noble we don't know its name, heard about a treasure hidden inside the ancient dwarven city, and he wants it.

We assume he will force fortress into sending a big group of prisoners and support them with his mercenaries to guarantee that he will put his hands on that treasure.

"How many people are we expecting," I asked Bricks, who's waiting with me at the top of the forge.

"At least twenty, maybe more. That noble will send a lot of men to fetch this treasure.

"So I can except twenty guys. Well, long as we kill the mercenaries, I assume prisoners won't cause any problems."

"Make that number twenty-five. I doubt if that noble sends less man than the number of prisoners. Nobles don't trust people like us."

"Too bad for us then." I laughed, but ironically, I also come from a noble family.

We waited a bit more and watched around. There weren't any monsters wandering.

"It is getting boring."

We waited some more time and finally saw the Optimist running towards us from far.

We rushed toward the entrance and pulled him inside. He was panting like an animal.

"How many men did you spot, twenty, maybe twenty-five?" I asked Optimist.

"Thirty. Ten prisoners and twenty mercenaries, but good news, there aren't any cleric or magician amongst them, and except one of them, they all are either lightly or unarmored. So you can take them out with ease."

I picked the Tumultuari and swung it around. "Of course, a couple of mercenaries nothing we cannot handle, but I don't say it will be easy."

"I watched you killing that giant abomination with just a snap of your fingers. Can't you do the same to them?" He is talking about punish undead.

"I can't. I can only use that trick to the undead."

"Still, we can fight against them!" Optimist shouted with an excited voice.

"Of course we can. I might not be strong enough to kill people just by snapping my fingers, but I am still strong enough to put a decent fight, and don't forget our undead friends."

Number advantage is still on their side, but we have a magic user and an undead beast with us.

"Let's meet with our friends then," Grumps said.

I jumped to the back of the dead Mud Walker I raised. "Then let's move."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a shark walk, our group finally found the mercenaries and prisoners.

I was planing an ambush, but sadly we saw each other at the same time. At least we still have the element of surprise because the enemy was unaware of our existence until now.

So as our group leader, I moved forward for a talk. I jumped out of the Mud walker I was riding. "Prisoners and Mercenaries, sorry for not warning, but I am sorry to say we will be killing you, but it is your lucky day, our prisoner friends, choose our side or don't intervene in the fight, and I will spare your lives."

A mercenary that I assume is their captain moved to the front. "First, I must say it was a surprise, and secondly, our friends who are assigned to carry our treasures are not revolting against anyone today."

"It will be too bad, but hey, hear me out one time before dying. Every single one of you achieved the honor of getting killed by the Lich King.

The mercenary spitted to the ground. "We have a quest to finish, and I don't have enough time to deal with you." He pulled his sword.

"As you wish. Friends step forward. It is time to kill." My undead forces and the other four members of our began advancing towards the enemy.

"Boys, let's finish this quick." Mercenaries drew their weapons and began shouting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dealt the first blow by throwing a fire spear towards the mercenaries. It killed one of the mercenaries and stunned the other mercenaries around that poor guy for a second.

Mercenaries are surprised by the usage of magic, and I can understand that. All the prisoners have anti-magic collars on their necks in the end.

But I won't wait while they are still shocked. I sent the Mud Walker to charge through them, and the creature did what I ordered.

Mud walker's massive body knocked the mercenaries around and crushed one of them, and that's not just it. The beast also caught one of them and cut the man in half with its giant claw.

I smiled as mercenaries were having a hard time just dealing with my beast. Let's see what they can do when we move in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Undead!" One of the mercenaries screamed as he saw the skeletons coming with us.

"Good thing you recognized it." I charged forward, and tackled the mercenary with my shoulder, then flipped and smashed him to the ground.

I killed the man with a single blow from my weapon.

"One more is down. Keep killing the enemy, and don't let any of them escape. I need every single one of them for my army," I shout. "Kill them with as little damage as you can do!" I added extra information.

A short mercenary tried to stab me from the back, but I grabbed his arm and began pressing it with all my strength.

Mercenary is struggling to escape from my grip. His face turned red, and he pathetically whimpers.

"That's enough messing with you."

I released the man, then immediately grabbed his head with both my hands and with a powerful twist, I broke his neck and turned towards the other mercenary that's been in my sight, a bulky man with a two-handed greatsword. He is more threatening than other mercenaries.

I moved towards the bulky man, and he greeted me with a swing of his sword.

I blocked the incoming attack with my weapon, then stunned him by kicking him to the nuts.

He screamed in pain and collapsed to his knees, and before letting him suffer more killed him by stabbing his chest with the tip of my weapon.

"I killed four. One with the least kills will cook the food tonight!"

I noticed another mercenary trying to stab me from the back.

After I spotted him, he stopped for a second then began charging towards me. I can't say he's the sharpest tool on the table.

He slashed his sword towards me, but I deflected the attack with my prosthetic arm and used the opening man gave to me to attack his neck.

I began choking him with my prosthetic hand, and he started crying for mercy. "Please, I am not ready to die, please. Spare my life. I will do anything, anything!" I stabbed him from the chest.

Blood began flowing outside through his mouth and nose then his lifeless body collapsed to the ground. "Sadly, today is not the day I show mercy."

"Useless pieces of shits, I told Lord Wellington, hiring random mercenaries from a bandit camp is a bad idea, but no! He decided to hire the cheapest guys he can hire, and look at them, even inexperienced prisoners and simple skeletons are giving them a hard time."

It is the leader of the mercenaries, and I can't say he is happy with the people he is currently leading.

"So, you are the leader of these bandits. Can I learn your name, and are you a bandit like them or just a guy who is assigned to control them." He isn't, but a question like that will give me more knowledge about him.

"Names Mel, and no, I am one of the knights under Lord Wellington, not a bandit. He assigned me to control these guys, but as you can see, we are not doing pretty good."

"I will be okay if you don't want to answer this question, but why the hell are you working for a man that sends you to death. Do you owe your life to him or something?"

Even a single Mud walker can destroy their line, how that duke expects these mere bandits to survive against other monsters inside here.

"A man like me has no choice but to swing a sword for someone, but why do I choose Lord Wellington. You can say I am a bit unlucky and found myself swore to him at my young."

"So, I think we can make a deal then. I mean, you don't have many choices currently, and my offer will be a generous one, but I will be okay if you don't want to betray your comrades."

"Do you think I care about these bandits? Lord will kill them even if they succeed on their mission anyways."

Mel began scratching his head. "Also, I am going to die anyway, I wasn't in a good temper with Lord Wellington last two months, and I barely escaped from getting executed by his man before."

"I am glad we made a deal, and about that Lich King stuff, I don't care if you believe or not, but let me warn you one last time. You might find yourself in something bigger than you think."

He laughed. "Long as I have my fair share, I don't mind, and there is nothing wrong about being part of something bigger as well, so deal!"

"Deal! And I hope you won't try anything funny." I grabbed his hand and shook it.

"I won't, and be careful about a pest approaching you from the back."

I turned towards my back. A mercenary was approaching me from behind with a dagger in his hand.

"So, that's why I feel tingly." I smiled and directed my weapon towards him.

Mercenary screamed and jumped towards me. "I won't die before taking one of you with me.

I grabbed his arm while he was still in the air and slammed him to the ground.

"What a shame." I crushed the man's head with my weapon.

All the mercenaries, except Mel, are killed.

I can see the other four men of my group and prisoners just waiting a bit far from us. They are certainly disgusted by all the dead bodies lying around.

None of them are soldiers in the end.

"Let's finish our job and get back to the forge."

8