Chapter 20: Moving Towards The Last Boss and New Companion
370 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

I decided to camp at the field where I fought against Warchieftein for the day.

Thankfully I had a quiet sleep that night.

But the questions will still fill my head in the morning.

Especially the talk I had yesterday filled my head with questions, a lot of them. 

I got nothing, pretty much nothing. I learned the answer of why, but not the meaning behind it.

My powers seem to be coming from a divine being that wants to use me in their game as a pawn.

But that's all, they give me a mission, a mission that sounds holly and will shake the roots of this world, but I don't even know the reason for the war I "must" fight in.

I suppose I, a "Mortal" being, cannot understand the reason for fights between gods.

I don't even want to talk about how manipulative their words are. I support your free will, and your choice is yours, but we saved you from the evil guys, and you have no one to direct you if it wasn't for us.

Like it isn't their shit, they dragged me inside.

Still, I must admit that I do lack the power to reject the incoming offer.

But that doesn't mean I will hurt them more than what they did to me. Do they, those so-called Gods, even know the price of ripping someone's freedom away from him?

Too bad I still need to wait for some time. Who knows how long, but it doesn't matter.

I regained confidence in my strength after defeating the Warchieftein.

And Wolf wants blood.

I only have one objective, at least for now, and that's eliminating the last boss.

*****

After a short walk to my base, I decided the best thing I could do right now, is to attack the enemy fast as I could.

Thankfully, I have needed supplies for up to four days of travel. 

But the question is where I will be traveling, supplies, no problem, my body, good as it could ever be.

The map on the top right of my head began shining, and slowly it turned itself into a compass, a compass with one part of its glowing.

"And that's my divine signal."

I stopped being surprised by this weird implement of my body. Having an assistant inside my head is still unorthodox, but people get used to things over time.

*****

It's been a long time since I moved this out of my base.

With no signs of rain or snow in the air, and the weather getting a little warmer, I can move much more freely without the risk of hypothermia.

I saw many small cliffs, rivers, the beauties of the forest for short, and a sign of civilization, at least an ancient one.

"It doesn't matter where or how I look at it. It is a statue."

This statue looks like it was carved from one big stone, and there are several holes in it. I suppose there were once ornaments decorating it.

Most of the details and parts about the statue are gone, either stolen or destroyed by natural events.

But from the remeaning parts of the statue, like a beard and pieces that look like armor, I can suppose it is a warrior.

I will only pay my respects to the statue and go on.

Without anything to drop, I moved away from the statue and began moving once again.

The forest was getting denser as I get more closer to my target, I could climb into one of the trees and move between them, but it will only slow me.

I can still move faster than when I jump between trees, but if the forest gets any denser and the ground begins slowing me down, I can always use the trees.

*****

Deeper and deeper into the forest, except for some birds, there is no sign of life, or even it's there, it won't show itself to me.

Glad there is nothing to stop me, but then slowly, the night is coming.

I can spend the night sleeping on top of a tree then keep moving at the day being.

A roar echoed through the forest, followed by a weak whimper.

Probably a fight between two beasts settling inside the forest. Still, why shouldn't I intervene?

To get a better view and hide me from the possible dangers, I hastily climbed to the closest tree and began moving towards the place where the sound came.

After jumping and moving between trees, I landed on a large and high branch with a clear vision of the situation.

Two beasts are fighting for food, or one of them is annoying the other.

On one side, there is a beast that I haven't seen for now. 

It is a brown bear (even though it looks much bulkier than most of them) with fangs big as a dagger and a tail looking like it belongs to a crocodile on his back.

Bear is keeping a wolf, a small one, away from his food.

I don't think the wolf even has a chance compared to the giant beast against it, but that wolf is not my concern.

Killing that beast could mean more strength for me, and while that wolf annoys that beast, why shouldn't I try my chance on.

 Bear was too annoyed with that wolf it didn't notice my existence.

I used the dense trees of the forest to my advantage and moved to a spot where I could land at the bear.

"Just like what I did to the giant beast I killed before. Keep yourself on its blindspot."

I directed my polehammer and leaped towards the bear, and landed my strike on its back.

The Giant beast roared with pain as the spear part penetrated its skin, but it wasn't enough.

Even though smaller than that giant wolf, the bear's skin is at least thick as his.

I am pushing my weapon deeper into the beast's skin to kill it. I cannot press it much, but it surely does hurt the beast.

The annoyed bear tried to attack me with its claws. Thankfully its hands weren't long enough to reach me.

Still, this bear wasn't stupid. It got onto its feet and tried to land on its back.

That forced me to jump away from the beast's back and put myself into the ground.

As I landed on the ground, the beast turned towards me.

Lots of blood was dripping from his back, but I don't think it is bothered by that. It only wants to kill me. I can read his instincts.

Beast, now looking even mightier on his two feet, roared with all of his strength.

The roar almost shook the forest and lit up something inside my heart.

Now fired up for a battle.

I activated the skill I got from the giant wolf. Stance Of The Great Wolf, or it was something like that.

"Come to me! And meat with your end beast!" I shout with all my lungs. 

And the beast did what I said.

With his giant mass, it began running towards me like a truck.

"Thankfully, I learned one or two tricks to hunt a bear."

I planted my weapon on the ground, looking towards the bear, and moved away.

The beast gained too much velocity to stop itself, and the weapon got stuck into his chest.

Using the opportunity, I dashed towards the bear, with my short sword, on the one hand, and an ice fragment ready to shoot at the other.

Bear tried to attack me with his paw, but I dodged the incoming attack and kept moving towards the bear.

I leaped forward when I got into the range and stabbed the bear from his neck.

My sword stuck on his neck. I jumped away from the bear and fired the fragment towards his head. 

Fragment did almost nothing to the beast. It is possibly the only thing that didn't grow strong.

For a final attempt to kill me, the bear tried to charge towards me.

Bear's moves were slower and clumsier than before. It wasn't hard to see.

I moved forward towards the bear and jumped towards it.

While on air, I grabbed the sword stuck on his neck with both of my hands and used my mass for pushing the weapon forward and slitting the bear's throat, finally killing the beast.

The corpse of the giant beast shook the ground as it collapsed, and a river of blood began running down from his throat.

Thankfully it landed on his side, and I managed to collect both my weapon from its corpse.

"Much faster than I expected. The difference of strength between monsters of this forest is weird, but all of them share one thing, a weak spot or weakness."

Skeletons are too weak, wolves are not a threat if they are not in a pack, but it is easy to avoid them. 

Goblins are more dangerous than two simply because of the size of their groups and their sneaky actions.

And coming to boss monsters, I don't want to admit, but skeleton spider and giant wolf were the hardest for me to defeat.

And other beasts, like deers with sword antlers, snow sirens, or this bear, are easy to hunt.

Now thinking, Voice didn't even warn me about the fight, nor did I gain extra strength. No.

I heard a whimper from just a little away.

It was the small wolf. It was slowly moving towards me.

"Passive ability activated: Alpha Beast. The beast now accepts User as its leader."

I moved towards the wolf and grabbed him from the head.

"You are not a threat to me right now, aren't you."

I began petting the wolf's head like it was a dog.

"Just don't attack me when I am sleeping, and we are good."

9