Chapter 19.5: Draugr fight.
436 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The now glowing draugr is charging towards me. The red aura around him is intimidating, like many things that are strange to me.

Once a man said these words. "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear." And it is this fear, the fear of the unknown, that kept us, humans, alive for many years.

For a man like me, who spent his life on battlefields, unknown and fear are part of my life.

Not knowing what the enemy has in their hands, what they are planning, not even their locations, of course, the army has intel services, but they help only to a degree.

I learned how to fear the unknown, but sometimes you need to be brave and charge to it and take it on with yourself.

I directed the tip of my polehammer forward and began charging towards the draugr as well.

"To your death!" I shout with all my lungs.

Draugr answered my warcry with his.

As draugr got into my range, I thrust my weapon forwards with all the strength I got on my arms.

The spear-like part tore the air, and a whistle echoed through the forest.

And in a blitz, the sharp steel pierced through the draugrs chest.

"Haaaaaaaaaa!" I shout as I force my body to its limits as I lift the draugr pinned on the tip to the air.

Draugr tried to reach me with his hand, he attempted to remove himself from the tip, but he wasn't strong enough to do so.

I took a deep breath and began slowly taking steps towards a tree.

The weight of the draugr by himself was not that much, but how unbalanced the spear was the problem.

"Now that's where our dance ends!" I shout as I thrust my spear forward and pinned the draugr to the trunk of a tree.

The monster was still alive and was still trying to save itself from the spear.

"Not gonna happen," I said as I slit the draugrs throat with a swift move using my short sword.

It ended faster than I expected, but something made me curious. The behaviors of the draugr changed into something more primal and aggressive it began glowing red.

I suppose magic is (or curse, depending on the viewpoint) much more common through the creatures of this forest.

I pressed draugrs chest with my leg foot as I pulled out my weapon from his chest.

"Alert." Voice talked.

Something is coming, or maybe somethings, but Voice is right.

I can hear footsteps. Iron armor and weapons hit each other as soldiers walk towards here.

And I doubt they are human.

I turned towards the direction where the sound came.

A large group of draugrs is marching towards my location.

They have wolf pelts around their weapons, some of them are wearing necklaces made out of goblin ears, and many have bones (probably came from skeletons) strapped on their armor.

"Consequences of my acts." Probably the two boss creatures I killed were protecting the balance between these monsters, and, well, I fucked that a bit.

The group of draugrs is getting larger every second.

The first ten draugrs appeared, then ten more came and five more later, and their number is only growing.

I probably run as fast as I can before they can reach me. "No!"

Another sound came, this time from my back.

Ten or more draugrs appeared.

I hit the tree's trunk with my fist. "I was too careless."

Draugrs are slowly closing the circle. I do not see any way of escaping. Trees around here are not dense enough for me to use them for escape.

"None to less, I am not going down without a fight."

I directed my weapon towards the large group of draugrs coming towards me.

*****

The draugr screamed as he moved forwards and slashed his ax towards me.

I evaded the incoming attack by stepping away.

"Not good enough." I raised my weapon to the air and crushed the draugrs skull with a powerful strike.

Damaging the hearts or brains of the draugrs (also their throat) is the best way to kill them. If I attack anywhere else, they will keep fighting as nothing happened.

These draugrs are weird creatures. They are highly aggressive and can kill me if they attack me at once, but they prefer to entertain themselves by creating an arena (simply by making a wall of flesh around me.)

Draugrs are jumping inside one by one and trying his chance against me. And surprisingly, no draugr from outside intervenes.

Their loss, not mine, I prefer fighting this way.

Another draugr jumped out from the circle and entered the arene they made.

He is much bulkier than the others, but he doesn't carry any weapon nor wear armor.

As draugr entered the arena, he stopped moving and began looking towards my weapon.

Like he was waiting for me to drop it.

"Not gonna happen," I said as I directed my weapon towards him.

The crowd of draugrs began screaming as I raised my weapon.

Some of them were even unsheathing their weapons.

"I get it! I get it. You want a fistfight." The crowd stopped screaming as I dropped my weapons to the ground. "Then let me give you what you want."

The bulky draugr cheered and began moving towards me with his arms open. He might be planning to entertain the crowd around him.

But I didn't have plans on giving them the pleasure.

Bulky draugr stepped forward as he tried to grab me.

I evaded his attack and answered him with a headbutt.

I heard a "crack" noise from the draugrs.

Bulky draugr tried to check his nose, but the only thing he found was my left hook!

My punch landed right into the middle of his right cheek.

"Weren't you preparing for a show just a second ago?" I said as I kicked the draugr from the chest.

The monster stumbled as I forced him to step back.

He tried to get his senses back, but no. I won't let him.

I put my hands together to make one strong fist and swung it towards the draugr like it was a sledgehammer.

As my first swing hit the draugr, he almost fell to the ground, the second came right after it, and some blood spilled from the draugrs mouth.

I see this as a moment of opportunity. I weakened him enough.

I took a step back and breath out. "And our show is finished!" I shouted as I charged forward and tackled the bulky draugr to the ground.

Draugr rolled on the ground a bit until he hit a rock and stopped. The man still had a spirit in him.

He tried to get up from the ground, but before he even managed to get an inch above, I crushed his head by stomping it.

First, I heard the cracking sound of his skull, then the warmth of his brain parts covered my boot.

Draugrs stopped cheering. None of them were making a sound.

"Is that all you got? Is that really all you got!" I screamed at the corpse on the ground.

Nothing, except the raise of my temper, happened.

Why? Why only beasts who are too powerful for me or monsters that are not even strong as an average human!

I grabbed the corpse from the ground, and lifted it to the top of my head, and began showing it to the draugrs around me.

With a primal rage, I shout with all my lungs. "If that's all you got! Go, run away before I kill every last of you! You half mummified walking corpses, are you monsters incapable of giving me even a decent challenge!"

I throw the corpse towards the crowd.

Draugrs stepped back as the corpse hit the ground and began rolling towards them.

No draugr was making a move. None of them were making a sound.

It raises my temper even more.

I focused magic on my fingers once again and shot an ice fragment towards the crowd.

Razor-sharp crystal shredded a draugrs throat, and the monster collapsed as it died from that single attack.

Screams from the draugr crowd raised. They are angry.

They are angry because I killed one of them. "Like I didn't kill five draugrs minutes before."

But their screams stopped.

All the draugrs began stepping away from me.

Now what? They are moving away. "What happened to all the screams! Weren't you just happy to watch me fight to the death?"

I stopped shouting because of the appearance of a figure, a figure taller than me, a figure with armor heavier than any draugr I saw until now.

His armor resembles the ones you can see in a museum about Vikings.

Not to mention his gigantic ax. It looks as tall as me, and its metal part is so big, I say even a trained lifter will have a hard time carrying this thing.

"You can even slice a cow into two by single swing with that ax," I said with a surprised voice.

A blue screen appeared in front of me.

[Quest: Kill the Draugr Warchieftein.]

"With pleasure." I grabbed my weapon from the ground and directed it towards the new enemy.

"Let's see if you got what others lacked! A real challenge."

11