Arc I: Chapter 12, Night Stalker
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few seconds at best, a single at worse... 

The link was all I needed - no Magician can ever escape that. I pushed my tired body to it's limit; I launched myself with my legs forward and redirected two shards to my side. It would decrease the defense the carriage gets, but... If this attack works, even if my sword strike fails, my shards should manage to hit Jack, hopefully.

"Yaa--!" My sword strike was skillfully blocked, and a instant counter strike came in from his blade... Reflected on it--?

... Reflected on it wasn't me; I knew myself enough... It was like me, it was someone like me, but someone much younger...?

"Huh--?" Kuk--!...

... ... ... 

Of course... hesitation is the enemy of a close quarters battle... 

... I took my last grip on life... another thrust at my chest would come...

"Got you--!" ... I... guess it worked too... My shards hit Jack at least... My blurry vision only showed him getting lightly hit in his arm, yet his reaction... He silently disappeared... My shard stopped Jack from making his last fatal attack; a standstill...

... I... forced myself up, this pain... Even if my right shoulder was deeply cut into, I have to endure... Endure...

...! kuk--!? Instantly I went on the evasive and tracked the archer down as best I could. No arrows came to me; the archer probably knew shooting would give their position away, and the archer knew their arrow would never hit me.

The pain hurt, but I had to avoid getting hit. I moved my head--, another arrow flew by, grazing my cheeks... 

I took it in to analyze the situation... The arrow came from in front of me, and there wasn't much foliage there. There was one small patch of plants that someone could hide behind, but it looked thick.

... No, I spotted the archer; a young-looking girl holding a small bow... She ran in the darkness out of the light foliage cover; that would work against most but against me, it wouldn't.

I was confident my graze on Jack would leave him out of the fight, so I delegated my 4 shards I had to myself to attack that girl. 

... missed--Jack appeared out of nowhere and pushed her down to the ground. I refocused my shards; 2 to attack them and 2 to my defense. I simply had to put my support back to the carriage. Defending Kou was absolute.

Even with the dim light of the moon, my dark dress and black hair easily hid me. Closing into our carriage, I scouted out at least 9 bodies on the ground, and discovered at least 2 more people which I attacked. I was inexperienced, but my 2 shards easily made up for my low experience in sword fighting. Fighting me would require a split of attention from three different threats, something most couldn't do.

I slowly approached the carriage... I didn't see Helmsmen--could he possibly have been taken down? I didn't see his body either, so...

"... No..." Could this... have they taken Kou and left? That would explain the lack of resistance, yet why is there no trace of a struggle? Don't tell me they took Asashio and Aikito as well?

I opened the carriage doors... " | Aurora Spear-- / ...?" Huh...? 

... We both had each other within death's grasp... My sword and 4 shards pointed at Asashio, and she was a chant away from casting a deadly spell...

"... Where's Kou--; no, where is everyone...?" I asked... I slowly removed my sword and watched outside for any possible sneak attack.

Asashio stepped outside with me. "Helmsmen is with the two. I rode the carriage and acted as bait with my Magic Potential." Asashio explained, "Though I was ready to die for everything, I never expected you to come... What happened?" 

... I thought Helmsmen would be here... 

I than explained what happened... My battle, and what I saw coming here.

"That's my report." I salut--! Ow... the surge of battle ended, and the pain of getting a deep cut in my shoulder came in... "... sorry; instincts." I laid down in the carriage with my sword next to me...

Asashio wouldn't be able to see my cut in the dimness... Even if it hurt, I needed to be aware of everything. If an attack came, I would need to be able to fight, even if I wasn't at my best. 

"..." I forced myself up... "... Where is Kou?" I asked as I stumbled myself upwards on the seat... 

"They're on the trail, back where I rode this carriage from. I can bring you to them." Asashio went back to the front and slowly drove the carriage... It was much worse than how Helmsmen and Rudel drove, my shoulder really hurt from the rough ride... I laid back down as the pain came in.

... ... ...

... ... ... I sensed something... ... ...

... ... ...

... That link again...

I grabbed my throbbing right shoulder... Ugh, I would need to fight again. "I'm heading out Asashio." 

Another fight would ensue tonight... A second round against Jack; I would almost certainly lose without any help from my shards. 

I took my sword with my left hand, my less dominate hand. I summoned my shards, my 12--... 19 shards... Worrying about how they came won't help, let me just use them. I kept my shards in a massive defensive web to protect me - and soon enough the carriage that stopped. Asashio came out soon after;

"You have a great sense of detection; though our opponents don't have strong Magicians." Huh... I have great detection...? Haha, what a joke...

Well, taking her words, if she didn't detect the Imperial Hunters until now, we probably don't have to worry about any strong special Magic Bombardment other than mass bombardment from numerous Magicians. Archers wouldn't pose much of a threat as Asashio's Wind Magic should definitely defend us from arrows, so all that leaves us in danger is Jack.

"I would like an explanation though as to why we suddenly got attacked; what does the Kawachi Empire want from you?" ... I'm not escaping her grasp afterwards... 

Sigh... "... Okay... though let's focus on the threat in front of us." Focusing on thinking and moving is difficult...

"Give me a minute or two..." Asashio said before starting a chant. A faint glow started to appear, and wind... A Defensive Spell.

A minute... Defend her for a minute.

... ... ... I waited... ... ...

I sensed that link right next to us quickly; a quick strike from my left hand against Jack's strike... My sword was flung out of my hand due to the difference in force.

I went fully evasive, dodging whilst my shards protected me. Stopping directions of attack, swarming Jack, and swarming me in a protective field. 

Somehow Jack still forced me to be careful, he warped through walls of shards, dodged shards, and even swung at some shards with precision to send them flying off. Strange sparks appeared as he deflected the shards with his sword. 

" | Aurora Spears | !" 6 spears of ice launched themselves towards Jack. His attention turned back as he put distance between us. 

I followed up with my shards, 15 to attack and 4 in reserve for defense and close combat. An endless barrage of spells and intense gust came from behind me; Asashio's ice spears, invisible Wind Blades, and Fire Lances. The dark night lit up from all these intense Fire spells Asashio casted.

... slowly after a few minutes, Jack was gone... No, he was still around, but he wouldn't attack for the time being... 

"I'll tell you when we meet up with Helmsmen, Asashio." I told her, before the silent walk between us began. 

Nothing passed my eyes in the dark... Nothing would pass my eyes or senses in the darkness.

1