Arc I: Chapter 22.5, The Successor and Power
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Magic is the cornerstone of all life in this cluster of worlds." Holy Magician Qual'tia preached as images from light and dust, like Asashio's Aurora Flare, showed of... creatures? Massive winged looking lizards that spewed fire, humanoid people that had pointed ears, and such. 

We were currently in a lecture of the... beginning of the world, by the Religion of the Apostle...

"Our Apostle, who we do not keep a name for, created beings that could match all these beast with the power of the Apostles and those gifted to him by an unknown higher figure." Soon another image of a woman clad in a pure-black dress appeared. "Humanity was much weaker back than than we are today; we absorbed Magic particles in the air over time creating Magicians. But that wasn't the case for the past; ancient life had massive stores of Magic, as much as the Successors we knew, and there were many of them." I... looked aside and saw Asashio looking away mindlessly... Huh, was... I--, they were told this?... "At first one was created to defend humanity with the powers originally kept to only the Apostle and Apostle only, the power of life and death. The being created was... brutally efficient, something the Apostle said was 'flawed'. Even though that being was 'flawed', the Apostle still loved it, as it was a creation from the powers of the Apostle." Another image of that black-clad woman holding a sword was shown...

A... creating a living being... As I listened, I got more interested. I wonder how creating life would feel? Is... this what a mother feels? 

"As humanity grew after the ancient life were slaughtered, humanity grew into conflict with each other. It was terrible--, many died. It became much worse when the Otherworldly Invasions occurred as other humans, and even humanoids came to this world." A scene of a... battle showed... "Suffering and misery of unbearable scale occurred, millions died and millions suffered from the aftermath of the countless wars of the past." I... couldn't help but feel sorry for those in the images of the suffering the Holy Magician showed... "Here, the Apostle created Angels to serve the countless strong countries; and in opposition, the humans who fought in the Otherworldly Invasions created the Successors, accumulation of hundreds of people's Magic passed down to Successors and Heirs, beings who could challenge even the Apostle's Angels and be victorious when their powers awaken." Successors... "And, as so happens, it happens that there are in fact two such Successors in this room present." Huh--? Wait...? Asashio and Aikito?

Huh...? Why... is Asashio looking at me...?

"Successor of Wind and the Successor of Magic, both of you hold the power to change countries when you awaken your dormant powers. You, Asashio, can create storms at will that can devastate entire armies. You, Kou Shinjii, will be able to cast spells long lost to history, and cast Court, and even Legendary Spells subconsciously. While Angels are bound by responsibility, you as Successors are not, you are only bound by if you wish to serve or not; do not serve unwillingly, you are still normal humans with power." Huh--...

... I... am a Successor...?

"Just know that the trials to becoming a Successor is harsh, and it is better for most to not awaken their powers... especially if you want a happy life." I... felt like he was directing his words towards me. "Though I recommend not to awaken your powers; though should you need to, I will explain to you the trail you must undergo to awaken the dormant power of the Successor."

1