Arc I: Chapter 35, The Recurring Meeting and the Duel
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sigh... finding a quiet corner around this place was impossible... So I decided to head back to one of the more quiet areas of this small town and leave. Coming back the same place, I had to do some back-tracking to make it here within reasonable time.

"Sigh, I should have rented a room honestly..." I walked inside of the building. A group of people--... Three men and seven women--, wait--? "Helmsmen, Rudel...?" What were they doing here?

"Ah, it's you Lady Tenshi." Helmsmen greeted.

"Hello Tenshi, welcome to my friends group, Luminous." Rudel greeted me.

"Er--, hello." I greeted back with a courteous bow. "It is nice to see both of you doing well, Helmsmen and Rudel." I did not expect them to be here, I would have thought they would have went off their own ways... 

"You know each other?" Aether asked, as all three of us gave nods. "Well, regardless, follow me everyone, we'll arrange a duel to allow everyone here to see our capabilities, as well as formulate a plan." Aether said... 

All the other women, besides two who wore robes with clear ties from Astera greeted me with a bit of distance. After returning greetings, I went to the two robed... Priestess's? "Hello, I am Sh--, Tenshi, the current Grievous Lady. I will be here by the Apostle's word." I greeted the two... girls...

Looking at them, the golden robes were more an overcover... The two girls seemed like... twins... Besides the little facial features I could see, I could tell they were young.

One of the two touched the other's shoulder. "Thanks for your introduction... Please don't mind us two, we are simply reporters, though we will be in your care." No introduction or anything... Well, that's fine.

 

----- 

 

A large empty cold field with sparse trees just outside the town... I scouted the area with the free time from yesterday - both inside and outside the town -, so nothing surprised me.

"Of course, I chose to challenge your skills, so I will personally duel you. Feel free to go at your own pace however you like once Katherine starts our duel." Aether said as he walked opposite of me in this field. The others who were observing us stood a ways away--, likely this duel will involve Magic and be serious. Even more likely that this is Aether's plan, to see the full extent of my power. How we won't hurt each other, I have no idea honestly...

I walked away from Aether in the opposite direction... I had a basic battle plan in my mind for a solo duel, but... I really had no idea how strong Aether was. If he was a Dark Magician, I could estimate his power, but I couldn't do the same for a normal Magician... maybe this was also how he felt, though he could just believe I was a weak girl.

Since Magic was obviously going to be in play, now would be the first time I could safely counteract Magic with my Fragments. If it turned out that I couldn't stop a barrage with my Fragments, I would create my Distortion Field and use my Dissipation to fight from there. 

A Magic Flare shot up, signaling our duel.

Within seconds, eight large-sized Fireballs followed by a Flame Lance shot towards me... Magicians--, they really are a different type of fighter... Silent incantation really is something.

"Go." I summoned my Fragments and allowed them to track the spells. Following the few seconds the bombardment spells were launched, they all burst into a small explosion in the air. The light of the afternoon allowed everyone to see glimpse of the black Fragments.

I couldn't see or hear anyone's reactions, but I assumed everyone - with the exception of Helmsmen - was surprised.

"Hmm--, lets just let this go on for a while. See how intense it gets." I looked onwards to see the next wave of bombardments come. 

I let this go on two more times, and I made the conclusion that I could probably stop even heavier bombardments. Thus, I decided on ending this.

~~//~~

"No more games." I said as I prepared a lethal strike with the wooden training sword I held. To my surprise, Aether managed to stop my first attack with amazing movements--, wind...? 

I backed off creating around 10 meters of distance with my Dissipation... Using Wind Magic to enhance movement--, that's unique... " | Distortion Field | !" I prepared enough distance so nothing could be a threat to me, and within seconds, my Anti-Magic Field took over the area we would be fighting in. 

"Huh...?" Now that I was much closer, compared to the 50 ish meters we were separated by before, I could see the confusion Aether had. 

I Dissipated back in with full expectation of winning. I used the lessons I learnt from the spars with Yatori and the slight adjustments I made in my travels. A blocked strike, followed by another sub-human speed strike with my Dissipation. I used the techniques and refinements from normal-sword play Yatori taught me and blended it with my ability to Dissipate, and refined it to my own style. 

Within seconds of our close-in duel, I struck a blow on him. "Victory is mines." I said as I prepared another strike, setting an example of what I would do next. 

Aether shook his sword and backed off. "Such--... I can't believe my eyes, honestly." He uttered... "Is this the art of a Dark Magician? The Magician Killers?" Magician Killers? Is that how Dark Magicians are viewed?

"No, I am simply..." Simply what? I am not normal by any imagination... "Er, it is something special of me, and I am afraid I am the only being capable of doing this much." I explained as I played with a Fragment on my hand. "These... shards will strike the life out of people, as well as negate all 'normal' Magic." I said as I made a small ball of fire, before putting my Fragment on it. 

"You really are capable, I should never have underestimated you because of your Magic Potential." Aether muttered... "Welcome to Luminous, let us all work together to survive each future day." Aether said as he held his hand out to me.

"Of course." I replied back, shaking his hand.

0