Arc I: Chapter 38, The Monster
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We proceeded to walk together, separated by around two meters Katherine called the 'No touching zone'. Perhaps the hatred for Nobles the people in Kalian have is the reason for this, but... I couldn't hate them, or her for that.

Though I disliked this idea, I couldn't do anything about it and silently followed Katherine - who could follow Magic Links unlike me.

We were near a ruined stone structure blocking our path forward. We were clearly in a ruined town right, or from a map, east of the main withered stone fortress. We had no way of knowing what was ahead of us - except Katherine who could sense the Magic Link.

We went around this large stone ruin, before Katherine stopped... Huh? "Let's... go." Her sudden stop seemed abrupt, like she was sensing something.

I led the way as we slowly approached. We rounded the corner of the stone structure, and kept going to the next corner. As we neared the corner, Katherine leaned past me and looked over the corner. A massive dreadful courtyard with withered trees with... nothing... 

"What did you expect?" I jokingly asked. I understood what she was doing, being cautious, though I had to lighten the mood somehow. Instead, I just got a blank, stiff stare back.

We examined this area... It was a courtyard, but the surrounding buildings were all ruined. They were in disrepair and looked like the buildings looked like they would fall apart any moment. 

"Cast a flare, this area should be safe." I decided this area was safe enough for them to come over here. I couldn't cast any advanced Magic, so I left it to Katherine.

"Err--, yeah." She replied... " | Solar Flare | !" An unnecessary chant came and a larger then normal sized Solar Flare flew up and stopped before lighting up the sky.

... Huh--? Why am I sensing something--,

"Move!" I instantly go straight to my combat thinking--, I linked the target that I could faintly track with Dark Magic to get it's location and direction. 

It's movements were incredibly fast, and--... Huh--? I spotted it, a large-black menacing figure with two horns on it's head. 

"What is--?" A chain of flames flew towards Katherine. I quickly Dissipated in front of her and struck the chain with my right hand and a Fragment... My hand felt the searing pain of the intense fire, but I focused...

I... A name of it came through, it was a demon... Something that didn't belong here... A being of terror, and horror born through the collection of Dark Fragments. An intense feeling of dread and hate surged in; I must kill this being...

I summoned my Fragments and created the light Fragment shield that surrounded us. I shook off the burning pain in my right hand and prepared my left hand for any close-combat fight. The Demon charged through the light Fragment shield I put up and prepared to strike me with it's claw. I prepared to defend myself and block, as I was sure I was all that was left between it and Katherine. 

It shouldn't be hard--, it looks like a light strike. All I have to do is--?! What... 

I felt caught off guard how strong that attack was... yet with it was something weird--, did it just use Dark Magic, and what did it do? Whatever it did, fighting it close was not an option anymore with it's strength. Now both my hands were damaged to the point I was probably not going to be able to resist... so I focused everything on ranged combat with my Fragments. 

"I--, I--..." Katherine completely changed, now a person with a hint of fear spoke. " | Wind Blade |, | Aurora Shard | !" Frantic spells flew out from her and hit the Demon. Yet nothing lethal occurred. I followed up her spells with a barrage of 40 Fragments, with some effect.

Sparks of darkness flickered when I hit the Demon with my Fragments, yet nothing more occurred. With the sparks, I saw the ground was covered in black dust--... So I had to wither the Demon away with Fragments? That would take a while, and with... Katherine... Err--...

"If you can meet up with the group Katherine, you should be fine. I'll..." Forward of me, the Demon prepared itself for another strike of it's Magic... "Go!" I yelled.

I couldn't afford to know if she did leave or not... I had to focus on this fight or I might die. I still could run with my legs and move my arms in a plea to protect my head and chest, but I was not certain my balance in this state of mind would allow me to Dissipate and land without harming myself.  

A massive wave of fire flew on the ground towards me... I had no idea how I would even stop this, so I Dissipated, breaking my own rules of trying to not do so, and braced myself to not fall. 

Grr--! I had to last and survive for... How long? I believe it took around 30 minutes for Katherine and me to get here from where we were, but I had to survive for around 5 minutes before I could start my retreat. I could Dissipate back to where we came from, but I was sure that would leave Katherine along against the Demon. So 5 minutes was the minimum I needed to stall. 

----- 

Another forceful strike from it's claws struck at me. It was apparent that I stood no chance at my current power against it as I failed to do much other then wither a small chunk near what seemed to be it's chest area. 5 minutes passed and I could probably start my retreat in the direction we came from but... The urge to fight kept me going.

My arms felt painless within these 5 minutes, and I used them to my fullest effect. The golden dress given to me by Pristina was constantly stained, and cleaned by the mystical force it held. The countless strikes I held off by the sudden suppression of pain allowed me to survive this long. 

At last--, a should-have been lethal strike hit my left arm and shoulder. "Demon..." I uttered as twisted myself and struck the Demon with my right arm. I aimed for the eyes with my strike, whilst my Fragment kept chipping away the small area of the Demon's chest. 

Ugh--, I Dissipated in a retreat through instincts as my strike was blown off and my right arm also lethally hurt. Nothing, no pain, only the ability to use my arms and move them remained. I commanded my Fragments to keep attacking it. I was sure I was not going to survive, but I had to kill it.

'Don't think that your tenacity will win this for you alone...' A--... voice... 'Never bound yourself to your duties.' What did it--?

... Huh, ah--... ahaha, I lost my focus, yes... Of course, I could never win against an otherworldly being, right...

'Escaping death to only return dying? Why did you return here for this?'

... ... ...

What did it mean...? Did.. I really want to die? I mean--... Why am I--?

Guya--? Geezes--, the seal that Apostle put on me... 

Huh...? 

0