XII
22 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

LINK'S MOUTH was agape as he held his hand in the flowing water. His whole life, he had seen the churning waves of the sea, but this was different. It was clear, like water drawn from the well on Outset.

The Codex had spoken of the ancient hero traveling along Zora's River. He had always imagined it, but now he himself walked on a river's bank.

Link stood up, looking back down the path he'd come. The island was crowded with large trees, all huddled around a massive tree in the center of the island, which towered above the forest canopy. He could see colorful birds gliding between the trees, making strange calls to each other.

He adjusted his equipment, and continued on. He came to several places where the path continued on the other side of the river, and he carefully crossed on small wet stones.

As he rounded a corner in the trail, he came to a full stop. Two massive walls of flowing water cascaded ahead. They thundered like continuous crashing waves. They never ceased, as if a massive jar was pouring limitless water.

He remained in the area for several minutes, gazing at it. Once again, the Codex of Time was coming to life.

The river had smaller falls as he traveled up it. Finally, the river flowed into the thicker woods, and the daylight became much dimmer. As the trees grew more dense, he was forced to begin walking through the river itself, though it had grown shallow and slow. It led him into an expansive glade.

There was a very ancient feeling about the place. A natural sacredness, protected inside the absolutely gigantic hollow tree. It was probably the most peaceful place he'd ever been. Even the creatures of the forest seemed to quiet themselves.

Odd, motes of yellow light twirled through the air. Fireflies. Another thing he'd only studied in books. Other than the sound of crickets and frogs croaking, he couldn't hear any sign of the Koroks who were supposed to be in the woods.

He walked out onto the bank of the stream, the forest floor crunching beneath his boots.

Link stopped walking.

He heard a groaning noise. It sounded like the groaning the pirate's ship had made rocking in the waves. As he slowly walked closer to the sound, he realized it was irregular, it sounded... alive.

He came to a tall, gnarled tree in the center of the glade. While he was walking around it, he was caught off guard. For the second time, he saw a creature of living wood.

Unlike the King of Red Lions though, the tree's face was a natural, knotty growth. The tree's face slowly contorted, a pained expression there.

Link walked up to the wood, and he was repulsed by an oozing substance in the cracks of the bark. Was this disgusting slime the cause of the tree's apparent pain? He decided to find out.

Without planning beforehand.

Link found a larger glob of the convulsing goo, and thrust his sword into it. The goo shrank back, and he saw other patches of the goo retreat.

The tree suddenly bellowed in pain, and Link flinched. A large protrusion of goo wriggled its way out of the bark, and slid onto the ground.

Dividing into parts, the goo revealed itself as a swarm of chuchus. Chuchus normally didn't get much larger than a rupee, but these were gross, abnormal, oily creatures unlike any chuchus he'd ever seen. Their protruding crossed eyes grew out of their bodies, and they began oozing towards him.

He began striking at them, making sure to thrust right through their center and out the other side, the only way to kill them.

Link kept his distance, darting out of the way when they'd pounce towards him. Normal chu chus carried a mild venom that couldn't seriously harm you, but he wasn't going to risk these abnormal ones.

More of the gelatinous creatures oozed out of the trees, and he saw the tree's face cease its contorting.

He took out three in one swing, and then got one creeping up on him from behind.

As he was fighting, he became aware that he was being surrounded. The swarm was massive, and as he fought to keep them back, he became sloppy, and his sword harmlessly passed into some of them without cutting them completely in half.

He saw a rush of movement behind him, but it wasn't a pouncing chuchu. He turned to see a wooden figure land on a chuchu, piercing a wooden spear through it.

Link and his sudden helper soon were able to take care of all of the chuchus. As they stuck them with their weapons, the creatures melted into a sticky, lifeless sludge.

With the monsters all finally killed, Link took a moment to lean on his sword, and take a few deep breaths.

A deep, rumbling voice startled him.

He turned to see the large tree speaking to him, but he couldn't understand anything the tree was saying. Link put away his sword, and the creature who'd helped him, a Korok apparently, also turned to face the tree.

The tree stopped talking.

"I... I must apologize," the tree rumbled. "I was in error. I saw... I saw how you are clothed. It brought forth a longing for an age gone by, and I slipped into the ancient tongue."

Link felt an almost involuntary pang of guilt, and did his best to ignore it.

"I am Link," he introduced.

The tree groaned with a thoughtful expression. "Hmm. I thank you, young Hylian, for your bravery in removing this cantankerous poison. Most of my children do not practice the art of combat, and like me, appear to be weak to the creatures."

"I also express my thanks," the Korok said to Link. "I am Linder, one of the natives of these woods."

"And I," the tree said, "am the great deku tree, guardian of this forest."

A look of concern appeared on the tree's face.

"Though," he said, "as of late, monsters have encroached more and more into our woods, They bound me, and with my protective magic withdrawn from the Koroks, all but Linder were captured by the dark creatures of our neighboring isle."

"Foul beasts have been growing, festering there for many months," Linder scowled. "and because of their attack, our annual ceremony has been halted."

"Ceremony?" Link asked.

"Yes," Linder said, "Every year, the great deku tree releases his seeds throughout the great sea. The seeds that find good soil grow strong, and protect forests throughout the great sea."

"My seeds have found little growth in recent years," the great deku tree lamented. "And this strike against the heart of the great sea's forests seemed like the end. We did not see it coming, though we felt a growing darkness near us."

Link felt he could trust them. "I know who is responsible," he explained. "I have already seen it north at Dragon Roost Island. It is the ancient thief Ganondorf."

A deep guttural shake emanated from the great deku tree. 

"I feared it," he said, "I willed that it would not be true. But it is no surprise."

"Are you sure?" Linder asked with worry in his voice. His sticklike fingers gripped his spear.

"I am," Link said.

"How?" Linder questioned.

"Because I'm trying to defeat him," Link answered.

Linder seemed to laugh. It sounded almost like low notes on a flute.

"Cease," the great deku tree bellowed. "Do not mock one who strives to do good."

Linder immediately straightened up. Link liked this tree.

"How will you do this?" the great deku tree asked.

Link reached into his satchel, and pulled out Din's Pearl. "I seek the master sword. I have already gained one part of the key to reach it."

"I knew that my confidence was not ill-placed," the great deku tree said. "and we will give you all the help you need, including Farore's Pearl."

"Thank you," Link said.

The ground shook, and the earth in front of the tree grew into a pillar of soil. Atop the soil, was the Pearl. Like the other Pearl, the inside of it felt alive. Unlike the smoke-like patterns of Din's Pearl, this one felt cloudlike, or like a flurry of leaves in the wind.

They waited expectantly. Were they really just... giving it to him? 

After putting away Din's Pearl, Link picked up Farore's.

"I hope that you know what you're doing," Linder said to the great deku tree."

"I do," the great deku tree said. "I know where he retrieved the other Pearl. For every evil cut off, Ganondorf will replace it with more evil, unless he is defeated."

"I'm not going to leave you without helping you," Link said. "Your forest is in trouble."

"I appreciate your selflessness," the great deku tree said. "However, the forbidden woods on the other island are filled with far worse creatures than those that you previously fought."

"I wouldn't be comfortable leaving you helpless," Link said honestly.

"I don't know how you got here," Linder said, "but no ship could penetrate the briar infested shore of the other island."

"I said I would offer help," the great deku tree said. "Here."

A branch bent down from the lofty branches above them. On it grew a single massive leaf. It stretched down in front of Link, the leaf matching his height.

"Take it," the great deku tree said. "It will not hurt me."

Link pulled it off.

The tree winced. "Much."

"Sorry," Link apologized. 

"A deku leaf," Linder said, "in a Hylian's hands. It is... a great change."

"We must change," the great deku tree said, "or darkness will change us."

"It will carry you on the wind," Linder said. "It can carry you across the channel to the forbidden woods."

"I want you to join him Linder," the great deku tree requested.

Linder gripped his spear, and looked to Link. "I'll help anyone who seeks to help the forest."

Linder's leaf mask obscured his face, but Link imagined that the Korok was smiling. Linder pointed to where they needed to go.

"Good fortune to you Link and Linder," the great deku tree said. "Farore is with her people. For though the thief pursues his dark design, the protectors of truth will not resign."

The great deku tree appeared invigorated and strong.

"And though his power will at times assail, the Power of right will come to prevail."

5