XIV
30 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite still being no less afraid as he glided across the water, Link couldn't resist wearing a smile on his face. The jovial Koroks spun around in the air on their spinning clover leafs. In the light of the setting sun, they almost looked like dandelion seeds floating in the breeze.

Finally descending onto solid ground once more, Link followed the Koroks down in front of the great deku tree.

A grandfatherly smile was on the tree's face. The Koroks hushed, settling down before the master of the forest.

"My dear friend Link," he said, "you have more than proven yourself worthy of caring for our pearl. We hope that it aids you in your own endeavor."

"Thank you great deku tree," he said.

"You have rescued the Koroks, my wonderful children," the great deku tree continued. "You certainly stand among the ancient hero for your courage."

Link quivered. "Yes sir."

"We are very grateful for your kindness, and offer you to witness our annual ceremony, which few Hylians have beheld."

Link nodded.

"Makar," the ancient tree directed. "It is time to begin."

Makar smiled, and in his wooden hands held a finely crafted cello. The Korok began sliding his bow across the strings of the instrument, and several other Koroks began playing quiet, yet uplifting melodies on flutes and other instruments.

As the flowing melody increased in its sound and intensity, the remaining Koroks began humming as a choir, until even the forest itself seemed alive in the spectacular song. Even the animals of the forest came from the hiding places.

To Link's surprise, he saw even the rare sight of fairies willingly reveal themselves.

Sadly, after a time, the melody began to fade. All of the Koroks looked up.

Innumerable seeds drifted down from the boughs of the great deku tree's branches, and the Korok's cheerfully leaped up with their clovers into the air, grabbing the large seeds in their arms.

For a moment, Link simply smiled, watching the mesmerizing scene around him. The light of the glowing fairies bathed the forest in an ethereal glow. Link had never seen such a magical spectacle.

Linder and Makar smiled in his direction.

"That was... I can't describe it," Link said.

"Thank you for your willingness to risk your safety on our behalf," Makar said.

"Yes," the great deku tree said from above, "we will always remember the service you have rendered to this people."

"You're welcome," Link said.

"To further help you on your journey," the great deku tree said, "I wish to gift you a fairy's service."

A winged glow of light floated towards him.

"If you are plagued with wounds," the great deku tree said, "it will close them. It will heal illness. It will restore that which was lost."

"Thanks," Link said.
The fairy landed on Link's outstretched hands. He tried to get a closer look at the little creature, but then it zipped into his satchel.

They seemed to be very bashful creatures. The ancient hero's family seemed to be a very unique member of their race.

"Do not delay Link," the great deku tree said. "I now know of a surety, from the foul monster you found in the woods, that Ganondorf is increasing in power. He is raising dark creatures throughout the world. You must stop him, or he will bring the ruin of the entire great sea."

"I will do my best," Link promised.

He said goodbye to all the Koroks, laughing at their unsurpassed enthusiasm. Treading his boots into the shallow water of the river once again, he seemed to leave another time. A place that seemed remarkably unchanged from the way it was a thousand years ago.

After a short hike out of the forest, he once again saw the King of Red Lions.

"It appears," the king said, "from your cheerful expression at least, that you were successful."

"I was," Link affirmed.

"I watched you return from the other island," the king said.

"Yes," Link explained. "The great deku tree was willing to give me the pearl, but I wanted to help them in some way. Dark creatures from the woods had captured many of the Koroks, and I helped rescue them."

"That is most commendable," the king said. "The you express the contrary, I feel that you are capable of much more than you think you are."

"Well," Link replied, "I suppose."

"I'd imagine you came across some manner of difficulty," the king said.

"Yes," Link said. "Those woods were a very frightening place. I wasn't sure we'd be able to find them."

"And yet you continued," the king said. "You didn't let your fear overwhelm you."

Link smiled, folding his arms.
"What lesson are you trying to teach me this time?"

The wooden figurehead gave a quiet laugh.

"I strive not to be the teacher. The mark of a wise man is one who lets his experiences be the teacher. All I will say is that today you manifested great courage, and I hope that you will not deny yourself of that."

Link felt a pang of guilt. He had been trying. He sighed. It was important to be humble, but it was just as important not to erode your self worth.

He inhaled a deep breath of the ocean air, and boarded the king of red lions.
As he began navigating his way across the water once again, he allowed himself to feel confident.
He could do this. He was doing good.

He felt, for the first time, that he was beginning to become a man.

4