XVII
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

LINK DROPPED the book on the bed, and slowly raised his hands up, not daring to turn around.

"I am annoyed by hitchhiking stowfish," Tetra's voice declared. "I despise trespassers. And the only reward I have for those who rob me is a trip to the bottom of the ocean."

Link said nothing. He was barely able to breathe.

"You have now committed all three," she stated. "I unfortunately do not have time for putting you in a bag with a cannonball at the bottom, nor do I desire to waste the spoils we've recently obtained.

"So I will give you this one chance to explain yourself. Otherwise I will have to finish this quickly. My only regret is that I will have dirtied the floor of my room. I would choose my words extremely carefully."

"Tetra," Link quivered, "you cannot take the treasure at Outset Island."

"By the name of Din I'll take whatever the gerudo I want!" she cursed. "And you were spying on us! That's a fourth crime!"

He was dead for sure.

"What does a little stowfish like you want with some treasure anyway?" she interrogated. "You don't seem like the kind of kid who'd be in pursuit of rupees."

"It's not money Tetra," Link said, "I don't want to sell it. It's something very important, and I need it. It's going to help me rescue my sister."

He heard the gun click, and he winced. It didn't fire.

"Turn around and face me like a man," Tetra commanded. "Put your hands down. It accomplishes nothing. I know you don't have a gun."

He did as she asked. There was a look of utter disdain on Tetra's face.

"How in the entire great sea did you get here?" she asked, sliding her pistol into its sleeve.

"Do you... want me to start from the beginning?" Link asked.

Tetra tightened her lips. "I have time. And my curiosity is piqued. Talk."

"Well," Link said, "I got into the fortress, and was able to get to the tower where my sister was being held."

"How in the name of Hylia," Tetra exclaimed, "did you get that far?"

"I... I don't know," he stuttered, "anyway, I saw my sister, but the giant helmaroc grabbed me before I was able to set her free. It tossed me out into the ocean, and I was sure I was going to drown."

"Yes," Tetra said, "we saw that happen. Now... how did you survive."

Link was at a loss for words. He wasn't sure if he could think up a lie fast enough. He wasn't sure if he'd survive telling the truth either.

"I woke up in a boat on the shore of Windfall," Link said.

"You just somehow got all the way here?" she said in disbelief.

"I didn't know what'd happened either," Link lied.

"You're gonna have to come up with something more convincing than that," Tetra said. "I don't like liars, but I hate bad ones even more."

"Good thing I'm not a liar," Link said. In a sense he wasn't lying. He knew the King of Red Lions had saved him. But in the moment he hadn't known how he'd gotten there.

Link gulped. "Anyway, someone told me that if I got Nayru's Pearl, it would help me save my sister."

"Why did you steal cannon ammunition from our stores?" she asked, her hand hovering near the handle of her gun.

"I was told that I needed to break into a cave on the backside of Outset," Link replied.

Tetra didn't press his burglary further.

"Now," her anger slowly building, "...why... are you in my room?" Her hand was now placed firmly on her gun handle.

"Uhh..." He didn't have answer for that one...

"My trigger finger is twitching," Tetra warned.

"I was just curious," Link admitted.
Tetra didn't respond, though her grip lessened on the handle of her gun.
"You have a copy of the codex," Link noted.

"My mother gave it to me," Tetra said, her eyebrows furrowing.

"My father gave me a copy of the analects for my birthday," Link said.
"Why do you care about what I do in my personal time?" Tetra asked in annoyance.

"I just...," Link trailed off.

"You are far too intrusive in my personal business," Tetra remarked, "and that is another thing that annoys me."

"I just didn't think you -"

"Were that kind of person?" Tetra scowled, "people like you need to realize that it is rude to label an individual based on what you see merely with your eyes."

Link felt a pang of guilt within him.

"Tetra," he said, "I'm sorry I've been... so... difficult."

"Apologizing," Tetra said, "makes you look weak. It is another thing that is useless, because I know you are not sorry. If you were sorry, you wouldn't have done any of this in the first place."

"Tetra," Link said, "I don't have much choice but to do these things. I need to save my sister. But I will say... without you and your crew, I wouldn't have had any chance. Thank you."

Tetra stood quietly, her face illuminated by the warm flickering glow of the oil lamps.

"Kid," she said, folding her arms, "I don't know what to think of you. You annoy me to the grave sometimes, but for some reason, in spite of it all, you don't give up. Why?"

"Because," Link answered. "My parents taught me that if you do what's right, then the goddesses will help you do the impossible."

Tetra was quiet, and then made a long, drawn out sigh.

"How many cannonballs do you need?"

"How many do you think it'll take to bust through solid rock?" Link asked.

"I'll be extremely generous and give you five," she answered. "And," Tetra said, walking past him, "I believe this belongs to you."

She reached under her bed and grabbed the sack with his things in it that he'd left behind.

"You kept it for me," Link said, looking inside.

"Yeah," Tetra said, "so?"

"Thank you," Link timidly smiled.
He showed Tetra that he'd already taken six cannonballs.

Tetra took a deep breath. "Get outta here before I change my mind."

Link walked back up the stairs. He made a quick glance backward. Tetra was sitting on her bed, staring at the ground. She glanced at him.

For the first time, he didn't see an angry or sarcastic look on Tetra's face.
He quickly turned back forward, going out the door.

Link walksd out onto the main deck of the ship, and into the moonlight, feeling the cool, wet breeze against his face.

He carefully slung both bags over his shoulders, and climbed down off of the ship, making a small jump onto the King of Red Lions.

"So you obtained what you need to get Nayru's Pearl," the king said.

"Yes," Link answered, pulling back his grappling hook.

He began directing the King of Red Lions away from Windfall, and back towards his home. He was returning to Outset. Without Aryll.

Should he let his family know that he was home? Would it be better for them not to know? He decided he was going to see them. At the very least, let them know that he was okay, and tell them that when he last saw her, Aryll was still alive.

As they picked up speed, Link felt a hum in his pocket. The crystal. He'd forgotten about it. He pulled it out, and its blue glow illuminated the darkness of the night.

I'm gonna forgive you kid for not giving this back.

"Sorry," Link said. "Forgot."

I hope you realize I'm doing a lot for you. I'm giving up this treasure, and the crew is going to be upset.

"Why are you helping me?" Link asked her.

Tetra sighed. The light faded from the crystal.

Link stared at the blue gem as he sat at the tiller. He'd misjudged Tetra. Somewhat.

She'd now helped him for a second time. He wondered, now that he had his things, and a way to get back to the fortress, if he'd ever see Tetra again. Reflecting her own words, he didn't know what to think of her.

Though he didn't know if they'd cross paths again, he hoped beyond hope that it wouldn't begin with hearing the priming of a gun.

2