Chapter 27: Case 4 Part 2
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

October 14, 1920

The next morning Lucia and the others had met up a bit early to go over the plan and the directions to the little town,since Henry had said that he would be going straight back to the village. 

Which seems to be around a two to three hour drive if not more. Since The village seems to be in an extremely rural area, one that is the biggest center of population for around 50 or more miles in every direction. 

Though it might be longer as it would be their first time getting to their village. So they decided to try and find the village on a map and plan a route which they did and they estimated that the soonest they would be there would be around two and a half hours if not longer.

Though it would leave them plenty of time to speculate on the details or at the very least make wild guesses.

As that happened it could be noted how the landscape turned from city to farmland to forests and the occasional town. Until they finally reached the village of Creekton. Which they had done in just under 3 hours which wasn’t too bad considering this was the first time they had been in this area. Though if it had been just Lucia or Thomas it would have gone much worse, as the two of them rarely traveled like they were and instead traveled with a company that included drivers that handled directions. Also she never really left Boston or its suburbs and traveled through rural areas as she was way too busy. As well as lacking a reason to do so. 

When they finally arrived, the first thing that they did was to find a nearby inn that also serviced had rooms that could be rented like a hotel. Which they ended up getting 3 rooms. One for Lucia and Thomas, another and a separate one for both William and Jerry. 

They then unpacked some clothes that they had brought because they expected that it might take a couple days.

After they did so they decided to find somewhere to have lunch before heading to Henrie's house which they were told was just out of the village proper. 

The area that they had found was a diner. While eating a man in a sheriff's uniform approached them. 

“Hello there, can I have a moment of your time.” He said politely but it was clear that he wasn’t asking. 

“Sure what can I do for you, officer?” Lucia replied first curious as to why they would be approached by the cops. Though she guessed that it was because of the incidents and the fact that he didn’t recognize them.

“Well it's nothing much but you're not in trouble in any way. It's just that  you don’t appear to be around here and from the way you're dressed. I am just curious as to the nature of your visit.” The officer said, somewhat realizing how it might not have been the most appropriate. Though he is fair to say that they don’t look like they are from the local area. Well that is mainly Lucia and Thomas which were the people the officer was talking to and not Jerry and William. That's because Thomas and Lucia wear dresses in cheaper clothes but even that was considered somewhat expensive to most people as well as being clothes that are not really worn by most people. That combined with the way they conducted themselves which was a more formal way that made it clear of their level of education and  ensured that they were most likely not from the local area.  Jerry and William on the other hand fit in quite well since they had quite normal clothes that were common among the working and lower middle class.  They also didn’t have that formal conduct that the other two had. Which meant that the officer didn’t notice them before he noticed Thomas and Lucia.

Either way Lucia quickly responded to the officer’s line of questioning. “We are indeed not from here but instead we are private detectives that were asked to look into the incidents that have been going on here by a local.”

When the officer heard that his gaze darkened slightly and responded in a slightly strained but still professional manner. “I see that you have heard about what has been happening but I must insist that you leave the investigation to the police. However since it seems that you are paid in it I will not stop you from looking around however I will not allow you to interfere in the investigation. That is all have a good day.” The police officer then walked away before adding a separate comment that he seemed that he was holding back.


They then finished up the meal and paid before driving to the farmhouse of Henry which is around 10 minutes outside of the village and it is a decent two story farmhouse. 

After parking the car they then walk to the door and knock on it to be greeted by a woman in her mid 30s who appears to be the same age as Henry. She has medium length brown hair and dark green eyes.

She seems slightly confused but still introduces herself. “Hello I am Beatrice, what can I do for you?” 

Lucia then was the one that stepped forward to respond slightly peeked at why she would be confused. As Lucia thought that Henry most likely would have told her to expect people. Either way she wanted to make things clear and not assume anything. 

“Hi I am Lucia, I was hired by your Henry Karlson to look into recent incidents. Are you his wife?” Lucia said calmly and monotony.

Beatrice was surprised but then became visibly confused and then replied after a moment in a confused tone as if she was trying to recall her memories while replying. “Yes, I am Henry's husband though he didn’t tell me anything about hiring private detectives.”

Lucia quickly told her his description and talked about him coming down to their office. To which Beatrice confirmed that it was in fact Henry.

At that moment someone could be heard running down the stairs and soon Henry appeared slightly panting. After catching his breath he started talking to his wife in a hushed tone and his wife gave him an angry glare. 

He then turned to Lucia and said in a polite if not overly polite tone “Sorry about the mix about, I forgot to tell my wife.”

At that Lucia raised her eyebrow at both the fact that he forgot to tell his wife and his tone which seemed strange for something so minor. Henry then let them inside and they soon entered one of the strangest and possibly most dangerous cases yet.

1