Chapter 8: Fate’s Machinations
285 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the emptiness, only one thing existed, a planet. A figure stood in the emptiness before, with a wave of its hand; the emptiness was filled with a desk and two chairs. The figure sat down in one and put its feet up on the desk before taking a sip of wine from a glass that appeared in its hand. Another figure appeared, wearing a simple black robe with a pouch on his waist.

"It's been a while, Argak." said the figure sitting down.

"It has." responded the man in the simple black robe.

"Still have the same drab appearance as always, I see."

"I'm not one for vanity; it suits you much better," Argak replied with a smirk.

"Why are you here?"

"Was it you who messed with my creation and put a human soul into it?"

"No. We made a deal, and I don't break my deals."

"Then who did?"

The figure tapped a finger on the rim of its glass. "I don't know."

"… you don't know? How could you not know?" Argak asked with a bewildered look on his face.

"I don't know. I felt something interfere, fix a faulty spell, activate it, and circumvent the spells cost. But when I looked, all I saw was the finished product, not the cause."

"Do you think it was Kuranaskal?" Argak asked with a serious look on his face.

"He was obliterated. And he had much heavier hands, if you get my meaning. This was delicate work. Whoever did this is masterful and, most likely, alien."

"Damn it! Can you watch how things play out and see if they interfere anymore?"

"That's the thing. I think they've been setting this up for a while. Too many things fell into place."

"Like what?"

"Location, People, the geopolitical situation, Celestial body positions. All of them seem to be in the exact right place at the exact right time. Your brother personally met with the faulty product of the interference and made a deal to get creatures for him."

"So this being has been making small alterations to the world over a long time," Argak stated.

"Looks like it."

"To what end?"

The figure chuckled. "Enjoyment? Boredom? To ruin your experiment? To destroy the world? There are so many reasons."

Argak paused for a moment. "Do you mind watching things? I'm busy."

The being chuckled, "Argak, my friend, I always watch."

"Can you give this special attention?"

"I would have done that even without you asking. I don't like not knowing things."

"Good. I'll be going."

"What? Don't have time to have a drink with an old friend?"

"No, actually, I don't. Malik has mucked things up again, and I'm left to deal with the infestation."

"With friends like that, who needs enemies?"

"That's true enough," said Argak before he disappeared.

The other figure began to laugh, and it seemed to echo through the emptiness. "Oh, let the fun begin. How about I ruin your little plan? But how? So many choices. So much fun to be had!"

8