Chapter 5: The Office
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's Tuesday evening and James has until Friday evening to break Michael out of jail. Michael is being held at the Toronto South Detention Center. 

 

Rather than use his chalkboard, James brainstorms ideas in his own head. He decides he's going to call in sick tomorrow. He will use the next couple days planning the breakout and scoping out the surroundings of the detention center.

 

*Wednesday Morning*

 

"Hello this is James Morley. I am feeling very unwell. I can't make it into work."

 

"Okay James that's fine. You have 5 sick days you can use this year. If you are off today you will have 4 remaining," Jeanette says."

 

"Yes that's fine. Thanks."

 

"Well I hope you feel better. Have a good day James."

 

It's 7am in the morning. James decides he's going to travel to the detention center. He needs to look for every possible opening and opportunity that presents itself in order to break Michael out.

 

James parks his SUV a little ways away from the detention center at the corner of Judson Street and Horner Avenue. He's got his Tims coffee in one hand and a muffin in the other hand. He waits a whole hour. It is now 9am. 

 

That's when he spots one of the prisoner transfer vans moving to the front gate. The gate opens and the van pulls inside. James writes this down in his notebook. 

 

An hour later the gate opens and the van drives south on Horner Avenue. James decides to turn on his SUV and follow the van. He keeps a good distance from the van so he doesn't get noticed.

 

The van pulls into an Esso gas station at the corner of Horner Avenue and Kipling avenue. 

 

"So they are gassing up," James says as he writes this down in his notebook. That's when he notices the officer who was sitting in the passenger seat of the van walk to Tim Hortons. 

 

5 minutes later the officer returns with 2 coffees.

 

The van pulls out onto the road. James follows the van all the way to London, a decent sized city in Ontario. The van pulls into London's maximum security prison.

 

It's now 12pm and James decides he's had enough. He's getting hungry. He pulls into Wendys and walks into the restaurant.

 

"I'll have a coke and a number 5 please. Put extra salt on the fries."

 

James taps his debit card. A couple minutes later he grabs his food and walks up to the ketchup dispenser. It's empty for some reason. He just decides he'll eat his fries without ketchup.

 

James takes a bite of his hamburger. He thinks to himself the Esso gas station is the only opportunity he'll get to snatch Michael. But then he wonders if they always gas up their van there. What if he comes back tomorrow and they just go directly to London. James then decides it's best to come back tomorrow and see what they do.

 

James decides he's going to call Thomas and ask to get the second syringe.

 

Hours later James has the syringe. What will he do with it?

 

*Thursday morning*

 

"Hello Jenette. I think I have the flu or something. I can't make it into work today."

 

"That's fine dear. Maybe take the rest of the week off."

 

James makes his way to the detention center. This time it's a blizzard outside. He cranks up the heat even more in his SUV.

 

The prisoner transfer van pulls into the detention center at the same time as yesterday. 

 

"Good. They have a routine."

 

To keep things short the van pulls into Esso again and the officer walks to Tims just like yesterday.

 

But this time James is in the Tim Hortons before the officer.

 

"I'm with the police,” he tells the employees. I need to have the coffee you make for the officer coming into the restaurant before you hand it to her." 

 

James is in the restaurant's kitchen. The officer orders 1 coffee this time. Here's where it gets interesting. James doesn't know if the coffee belongs to the driver or if it's for herself. He needs to make sure the driver gets the coffee with the I.D. Tech. James tells the employee to ask her if the coffee is for herself and wonder why she isn't ordering 2 coffees like she usually does. The officer hears this from the employee and then says, "it's for my buddy."

 

James smiles. He got lucky again. The odds are with him. 

 

James injects the coffee with the I.D. Tech and hands it to the employee who then hands it to the officer.

 

James rushes home and pulls out his USB that contains the software for the I.D. Tech. He installs it onto his computer. He studies everything on the interface. James already knows the basics but quickly notices more features that he hasn't seen before.

 

James decides to call Thomas. The phone rings 3 times and then Thomas says “Hey James I’ve got it all ready!”

 

“Good. Meet me at the graffiti tunnel at 6pm he says.”

 

Thomas is early again. He is reading his phone.

 

“Thomas, do you have the 2 syringes?”

 

“Yes. So anyway I will try to make things as simple as possible. The clear liquid is actually nanotechnology, but it’s not the usual nanotechnology I’ve seen before. There’s small hooks on each nanotech particle that’s used to grapple the neurons in the brain. You probably have no idea what I’m talking about so here you go.” Thomas hands James the 2 syringes.

 

Hours later, James is now home and he can hear his kids watching T.V. upstairs. The oldest kid who is 12 turns up the volume when the theme music of The Office is playing.

 

"Turn down the volume!" James shouts.

 

It’s now 9pm.

 

James puts on his headset and presses a button on his keyboard. "Hello. You don't need to know who I am. Just call me Z. I need you to do one simple thing for me tomorrow."

 

"I must be imagining this," replies the driver of the prisoner transfer van.

 

"Oh this is real. I can control your body. For instance I can make you feel very cold."

 

"I don't believe this," the driver says.

 

James taps on the picture of the driver and flicks on 'temperature'. He then turns down the temperature setting to -10 degrees. 

 

The driver starts shaking.

 

"What the hell is this? I'm actually freezing."

 

"Do I have your attention now?"

 

"Yes you have it."

 

"Good. What I need you to do is do your job tomorrow like usual. But here's the catch. When your partner goes to Tim Hortons I need you to unlock the back door of the van and take the prisoner out and transfer him to a grey cube van that will be parked in front of the Esso station. And don't get any ideas. Once he’s inside the cube van, take off his handcuffs and put the zip ties around his hands. There’s also a blindfold. Put that over his eyes. That’s all I need you to do."

 

James turns back the temperature of the driver to normal.

 

"Okay I will do what you say. I won't say anything."

 

"Have a good sleep," James says. 

1