Chapter 21: I’m gonna start a riot
806 9 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zephyra had finally returned to the Inn. It had taken her much longer than she had anticipated to completely dispose of the corpses of the two thugs that tried to rob her. Her mana capacity was too small and her mana regeneration rate was too slow.

"Ugh, I've really got to start working on preparing the silver marrow that we harvested from the Skeletal Knight. It'll help out a little with my mana problems."

 The moon shone brightly and illuminated the empty cobbled streets. It was peaceful at night. The city had toned down to a muted silence. A few stray windows and open doors shed warm fire light into the thoroughfare. And, the faint hum of intimate conversation and familial exchange carried through the air and into the night.

The serenity was shattered as she drew closer to the inn. A large crowd of onlookers and gawkers milled around the inn. A full contingent of heavily armed acolytes surrounded and were in the process of aggressively searching through the inn. 

An elderly man in intricate robes stood in front of the acolytes and addressed the crowd of commoners.

"My children, fear not. We have discovered traces of necromancy, most foul, and tracked the fiend to this treacherous establishment."

A well dressed halfling, chained and gagged, was paraded before the growing crowd. Murmurs and whispers of unrest and fear rippled through them. 

"This is the proprietor of the inn. We have arrested him under suspicion of harboring a dangerous fugitive that threatens us all. After all, a necromancer will rot the very flesh from your bones, desecrate your corpse, and turn each and every one of us against each other. They are a threat to our very way of life."

"We have found the remnants of an unholy ritual that was being performed on these very premises.The remnants of a foul undead and burnt candles."

The Archpriest gestured for an acolyte to bring forth the bone and candles that they had found. The acolyte slowly waved it in front of the horrified crowd.

Zephyra squinted and looked closely at their "evidence". It was difficult to tell at a distance. But, it looked like a chicken bone and a few of the candles that were placed in all of the rooms. It certainly wasn't anything that she would consider to be quality ritual ingredients. 

The Archpriest gestured to the halfling with an embellished wave. 

"We have come to right this wrong, to burn out the corruption out from among us. Yet, this man had offered refuge and aligned himself with the evil creature. And, unfortunately, is responsible for their escape."

Several gasps of horror and fear escaped from the people.

"Gods save us", a woman whispered.

"We can't let it get away!" A man shouted.

"We have to do something", another agreed.

The Archpriest continued.

"Yes, my good people, the necromancer must be found at all costs. They are a wolf among sheep, and will indiscriminately slaughter us all if they are left to their own devices. We must all be vigilant and aware at all times. For make no mistake, they prowl amongst us and wear the guise of the innocent."

The Archpriest half turned to the halfling while addressing the crowd. "And, subvert even the most devout amongst us. His guilt is clear."

The Archpriest murmured under his breath pointed one long bony finger toward the inn and another toward the owner. 

"[Fire Magic: Perdition]"

The inn and the halfling burst into flame. He let out a short muffled scream. The fire slowly burnt into his flesh. It wormed its way into his bone. Until, only his charred corpse remained. 

"The corruption must be removed. No matter the cost."

Zephyra blanched and slowly backed away from the forming mob. It would only get worse. And, she'd rather not get caught in the crossfire. 

"I need to find where they've gone. Ugh, I should've placed some sort of tracking spell on them when I had the chance. Although, I didn't exactly expect my things to just wander off without me." She grumbled unhappily to herself. 

"I wonder how we were discovered..."  Zephyra stopped and turned to look at the burning inn. "They were going to meet with that one member of the church tonight… I think, I need to have a little chat with a certain acolyte."

I edited this into chapter 3 and I'll be adding the litRPG tag to this story. I'll also eventually be editing through older chapters to reflect that change. It'll mostly affect the combat scenes and how they'll play out.

[Status]  [STR]: 14  [INT]: 9
[Name]: Theodore Barr [AGI]: 12 [WIS]: 8
[Race]: Human [CON]: 12 [CHA]: 16

[Height]: 5'9"

   

[Weight]: 145 lbs.

[STA]: 100 [MANA]: 75

[Sex]: M

   

[Class]: [Bard] - Lvl. 1

   
[Aspect]: None    
[Magical Abilities]:

L1 - [Inspire], L1 -[Mana Manipulation], L1 - [Fascinate], L3 - [Regenerate Stamina]

[Skills]:

 L8 - [Dumb Luck], L1 - [Singing], L4 - [Persuasion], L2 - [Bluff], L1 - [Diplomacy], L2 - [Athletics], L1 - [Dodge], L4 - [Performance], L3 - [Stamina]

[Unique Skills]:  [Obnoxious]
[Proficiencies]:

L2 - [Light Weapon], L2 - [Light Armor], L1 - [Short Bow], L1 [Parry]

   

 

[Status]  [STR]: 20 [INT]: 12
[Name]: Phillip Gard [AGI]: 12 [WIS]: 8
[Race]: [Human] [CON]: 18 [CHA]: 10

[Height]: 6'3"

   

[Weight]: 200 lbs.

[STA]: 250 [MANA]: 50

[Sex]: M

   

[Class]: [Warrior] - Lvl. 1

   
[Aspect]: None    
[Magical Abilities]: [Skills]:

L4 - [Stamina], L4 - [Stamina Regeneration], L2 - [Dodge], L4 - [Intimidation], L6 - [Athletics], L6 - [Endurance], L4 - [Battle Presence], L4 - [Incredible Physique]

[Unique Skills]:  [Weapon Familiarity]
[Proficiencies]:

 L4 - [Block], L3 - [Parry], L4 - [Martial Weapon], L6 - [Heavy Armor], L4 - [Shield]

   

 

[Status]  [STR]: 8 [INT]: 18
[Name]: Karen Smith [AGI]: 14 [WIS]: 8
[Race]: Average Human [CON]: 10 [CHA]: 10

[Height]: 5'5"

   

[Weight]: REDACTED

[STA]: 50 [MANA]: 200

[Sex]: F

   

[Class]: [Sorcerer] - Lvl. 1

   
[Aspect]: None    
[Magical Abilities]:

 L2 - [Arcane Magic], L2 [Mana Manipulation], L8 - [Mana Regeneration]

[Skills]:

 L1 - [Diplomacy], L2 - [Arcanum], L2 - [Dodge], L8 - [Reading], L6 - [Bluff], L8 - [Fantasy]

[Unique Skills]: [Average Physique]
[Proficiencies]:

L2 -  L1 - [Staff], L2 - [Incantation]

   

 

11