Chapter 44: Swirling Mists
198 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Are we there yet?", Bob asked with an exhausted yawn. It was late in the evening. They had spent the entire day alternating between jogging and walking away from the city. And, they still hadn't even taken a break to rest. 

Apart from washing off several times in a creek that they had found on their way. They didn't smell like roses. But, they weren't going to be mistaken for humanoid sewer monsters either. 

"No. We're not.", Zephyra didn't feel like arguing. She was mentally exhausted. Even though her body could continue for a long time still, she had been under constant stress and pressure for the last few days. She needed to rest.

"Where are we going anyway?" Bob wearily stumbled over a few tree roots. "I know we have to escape. But, I didn't think we would be mindlessly traipsing through the woods."

"It's not mindless, my home is in this forest. I didn't want the church to find it. So, I left it pretty far from civilization."

Bob yawned and tried to shake the lethargy from his body. "You mean, you camped way out in the middle of nowhere?"

Zephyra sighed and snapped back at Bob. "No! I wasn't camping, weren't you listening? My home is in the forest. I live here. We're going to my house."

"Why would you build a house in the middle of nothing?" Bob quirked an eyebrow. "It seems awfully inconvenient. I am starting to think that it was a conspiracy to bring me out on a nature hike." 

"Oh yes, I definitely set up my home just to inconvenience you and to drag you through the woods at night."

"See? I knew there was something fishy about you."

Zephyra rolled her eyes. "My safety was more important than the inconvenience.'

"Ah." 

The pair continued on through the forest in silence. The light of the sun faded and dimmed past the horizon. And, the woodland was steeped in twilight. The shadows grew dark and stretched out, reaching, grasping for the weary travelers and beckoning them to slumber underneath the leaves of the canopy.

A heavy fog filtered through the copse of trees, obscuring the many mysteries, treasures and lurking dangers. The birds fell silent as the night descended. The insects and the beasts as well. All was quiet and still.

 Too quiet. 

Only the sound of their fatigued gait came to their ears; the crackle of broken twigs, and the stirring rustle of wet leaves underfoot. The wood around them softly creaked and moaned underneath the strain of their own weight. Yet, not even a slight breeze whistled through the branches. 

They were utterly, and unnervingly, alone. As an intruder that stole through the verdant corridors of a mansion that was not their own.

Bob cleared his throat nervously. It seemed to resound throughout their surroundings, as subtle as a trumpet blast. He whispered, "You really chose a charming spot for a home."

"Shh, it's best not to speak. I chose this place because it will keep people out. The forest does not take kindly to intruders." 

Bob glanced around. He couldn't see far through the heavy veil of fog. Yet, ominous shapes and figures seemed to approach and fade through the swirling mist; mere shadows and tricks of the light as the foliage around them came in and out of view.

Still, apprehension and unease seeped into his mind. It was almost as though they were being watched. The distorting phantasms within the mist were nearly creatures of their own, crawling from the woodwork to devour and mutilate, illusions of menace and malice. 

Zephyra grabbed a hold of Bob's hand and pulled him along after him. They needed to stay close. They wouldn't want to be separated. They didn't want to get lost in the mist. 

Alone, yet surrounded. 

It was strange. So very odd, that Bob felt at once drowsy, sleepy even, as well as alert and on edge. It felt as though the forest called to him. A whisper of a lulling song that flitted on the edge of his perception and urged him to sleep; whilst still holding a dagger beneath it's cloak. 

Zephyra whispered to him as his head began to nod off. 

"We can't sleep. Too dangerous. We're almost there."

Bob heard her, but she felt distant and far away, despite being so close to him. She held his hand. Whispered in his ear. But, it was so far, so very far away. 

What was…

What was happening to him? 

Zephyra slapped him. 

Bob jolted awake. 

What had just happened? 

"You fell asleep.", Zephyra whispered. "You can't fall asleep. The forest will take you away. Stay with me."

Bob rubbed his cheek. It ached and throbbed with a dull pain. But, it pulled him into focus. He didn't feel as tired. He could keep going. 

Still, the forest loomed over him. 

Yet, a few moments later, a large and imposing shadow materialized from the fog.

A crumbling tower, lost within the mist.

"Welcome to my home." Zephyra whispered. 

Bob gaped at the ruins that surrounded him. He had no idea that these were even close to the town. And, the area was sprawling with all sorts of decaying structures and toppled stonework. Not to mention that it was hidden deep within the forest and covered by the mist. He could only feel a terribly ominous portent from it all. 

No one could live here, right?

"Uhm, Zephyra… not to be rude, but isn't this all rather dangerous and suspicious? Who could live safely within a ruin?"

Zephyra huffed slightly and pulled Bob forward toward the tower. "It's only dangerous on the outside. It's much more cozy and stable on the inside."

A branch snapped behind them. 

Zephyra whirled around and stared into the fog. 

There was nothing there.

At least, nothing that they could see.

Zephyra paused and pulled Bob close to her. The hair on the back of her neck stood on end. Something wasn't right. Something was wrong. She spoke softly into his ear. 

"We're going to make a run for it. Head straight toward the tower. And, don't look back. No matter what." Zephyra took a deep steadying breath and tried to calm her nerves. 

All of her senses screamed that something was wrong. There was something horrendously close that was waiting for her. It was searching for her. No, that wasn't quite right, it was watching her at this very moment. 

A bloodcurdling crack roared around them as a pair of trees groaned, shuddered and fell to the forest floor with an impossibly loud crash. 

A monstrous form scuttled through the mist and over the fallen logs. They could make out any details of it. But, it was large. It was heavy, each step fell to the ground with an earthy dull thud. All of the branches, bushes, foliage didn't slow it down in the slightest. It trudged adamantly toward them. 

And, through the fog, the shadow, and bare moon-light, they could faintly see thin tendrils whipping around the hulking hooded creature; clearing the path around it. 

It was coming for them. It had found them. 

All it had to do was reach out…

"Run!" Zephyra frantically whispered and pulled Bob along with her. He didn't trail behind her for long. He didn't want to stay anywhere near that obscured monstrosity. 

They heard a sharp hiss cut through the air. The weighted impact of the creature's steps crashed against earth, twig and timber. It sped up in pursuit. It wasn't as quick, or small, or as dextrous as Zephyra and Bob. But, it had tirelessly followed them far, so far, from the city to the forest. And, shaken off many hunters from the city of men. It would not be denied now. 

Not now that the prey was within its grasp.

A thin tendril wrapped around a young, yet sturdy, sapling and effortlessly plucked it from the soil. It reared back and launched the oversized projectile at the fleeing prey. 

Even though he was told not to,

Bob glanced back for a moment. He paled. He tackled Zephyra to the ground.

The heavy log smashed into the ground in front of them. Dirt, leaves and moss sprayed across the area. They had almost died. 

They quickly scrambled onto their feet. The abomination was almost upon them. It wouldn't be long now. They would be caught. They would be killed. 

They took off at a sprint. They raced as fast as they could. They couldn't let it catch them. They were close. They were almost at the door. 

A tendril whipped out from it and wrapped around Zephyra's ankle. She cried out. And, fell to the ground. She reflexively poured out her mana. It careened through the tendril. But, it had no effect. 

The necrotic mana couldn't injure a creature of the nether. 

Bob drew his sword. He slashed haphazardly at the elongated limb. It nicked the flesh. A mere scratch. Yet, the tendril released the hold underneath the assault. 

Bob grabbed a hold of Zephyra and started to drag her toward the closed door. She skid across the ground for a couple of steps. Then, she got her feet underneath her and stood up. They stumbled toward the door together. 

Zephyra pulled a key from her shirt. And, hastily shoved it into the lock. 

Bob barely deflected one tendril. It lashed out at him. Another. Then, another joined. It wrapped around the blade. And, jerked it free from his hands. It flexed and snapped the blade into pieces. 

He was unarmed. 

Zephyra turned the key and swung open the entrance. She ran inside. She pulled Bob after her. And, slammed the door shut with her entire body. 

They gasped for air.

It was close. Too close. 

But, they were safe. 

"Wait…", Bob thought. "Why are we safe? Couldn't it just break through the door?"

"Z-zephyra-", he stammered. "The door."

"It-", Zephyra breathed heavily trying to catch her breath. "-won't be able to - get in - pocket - space - dimension."

Bob mutely nodded and sagged to his knees. And, then to the ground. He was tired. It had been a crazy couple of days. Betrayal. Necromancers. Execution. Daring escapes. Mobs. Monsters?

He melted into a puddle on the wooden floor. He needed to rest. 

"Oh, Zephyra!", an unfamiliar woman's voice called out to them. "You found us." 

Dawn stood in front of them with a puzzled expression.

---

13