Vol. 1 Chapter 8: This Is A Dangerous World
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was running out of breath as I ran after her. It really wasn't fair that she could fly and I had to use my legs.

"Moira!" I exclaimed, "You're going too fast!"

"It's not my fault you're too slow!" she responded.

"Well, I can't fly!" I yelled.

"And whose fault is that?" she said.

"It's not my fault I was born this way!" I yelled back.

"Tch, fine." responded Moira, "I'll slow down."

She finally slowed down. I was relieved. After that, I took a look around and saw we were in some open field. It was full of grass and plenty of flowers which made the environment very colorful.

"Ah, look at the flowers!" said Moira, seeming excited.

"I thought it was your job to show me around." I responded.

"I can show you these pretty flowers!" replied Moira.

"Sure." I responded.

I just stood there as Moira played around with the flowers. Unfortunately, the peace didn't last for very long. The sunshine had quickly faded and the area around her had become dark. It wasn't night or anything, something was just blocking the sun. Looking up, it was a giant frog.

"Um," I said.

"Not now." responded Moira, "I'm picking flowers!"

"Yeah, you have fun with that!" I replied, turning around, "It was nice knowing you!"

Then, I began running as fast as my legs could carry me. I had to get away from that strange creature.

"How could you!?" exclaimed Moira who was catching up to me.

"I'm sorry for not wanting to die!" I yelled.

"What makes you think I would!?" yelled Moira.

"I promise I'll never forget you." I said as we kept running.

"That doesn't make it any better!" she protested.

"Well, you can fly so you can get away easier!" I yelled.

"Oh, yeah." she said, "I didn't think about that."

Looking behind us, the frog was running in our direction.

"Crap." I said, "It's still coming after us."

"Hmm," said Moira, "maybe you could slow it down?"

"What?" I asked, "You have any good ideas?"

"You stay behind, the frog gets lunch, and I get away." answered Moira, "Everyone wins!"

"No!" I yelled, "Why would I be happy with that!?"

"Because I would get to live!" replied Moira, happily, "I would always appreciate your sacrifice."

"Stop talking or I'll feed you to that damn frog!" I yelled angrily.

"F-fine." she said.

We were still running. The frog hadn't given up on us.

"W-what are we going to do?" I asked.

"I don't know." said Moira.

"Well, we have to do something!" I said.

As we continued running, we found a few rocks. I picked them up and began throwing them behind us. Each of them hit the frog, but they had no effect.

"Son of a bitch!" I exclaimed.

It felt like forever, but we continued to run until we reached a forest. We ran inside, with the gigantic creature still coming after us. No matter how long we went on, the creature wouldn't give up its chase. We soon came across some bushes and we hid inside. While in there, I held my hand over Moira's mouth to keep her silent and the frog ended up passing us.

"Oh, thank God." I muttered.

"Why would you do that!?" exclaimed Moira, "I couldn't breathe!"

"Shut up!" I yelled.

The next thing I knew, something long, slimy and red appeared before grabbing Moira, who let out a scream.

"I promise I'll never forget you." I said, preparing to run off.

"I'm sorry about before!" she yelled as she was getting dragged away, "Please help me!"

"Tch, fine." I said.

I looked around and found some sticks on the ground. There were a few nearby rocks as well, so I picked those up. When the items came together, something I wasn't expecting happened. They turned into a wooden sword and text appeared above me saying "Ken's crafting skill has advanced to level 2".

"W-what the-?" I responded.

I then shook my head. I knew what I needed to do. I had to save this girl. With the sword in my hands, I ran after the frog and began slicing at it as the tongue was quickly returning to its mouth. I quickly jumped and sliced the tongue, causing it to drop Moira. With a few more hits to some random places, the frog eventually died.

"Glad that's over." said Moira, "Letting out a sigh."

"Yeah," I said.

"So, uh… think we can eat this thing?" she asked.

After everything that went down that day, I knew I was going to be stuck with this girl. No matter what I did, she was going to be there with me. A couple months had gone by and we were always together. I learned a bit more about this world too. It seemed to function a lot like an RPG since I could level up and stuff.

After this amount of time, I had much better equipment and my overall level had reached forty. However, I didn't want to be here forever. I wanted to be able to see my friends and family again. I just wondered how Mona, Vera, and Matt were doing? I figured they must have been pretty worried about me.

1