Chapter 4: A Burning City
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4: A Burning City

 

A burning city.

Black voids that stifle a person's screams.

A woman with long purple hair.

Chaos.


“What...happened? Everything is destroyed…Everyone is...Gone.” Zane mumbled, staring blankly at his bloodstained hands.

“Worry not. Soon, you shall join them in the next world.” A woman said, smiling.

Zane looked up at the woman.

“Next world?” Zane asked, his eyes glazed and his words slow.

The woman pointed her finger at Zane’s forehead and swallowed him in a black void.

He closed his eyes, a tear falling from his cheek.


Zane blinked, interrupting his blank stare.

A hand was waving in front of his eyes repeatedly.

“Zane? Hello? Are you alive? You’ve been staring at that tree for almost half an hour.” A voice said.

In front of him stood a girl with long snow-white hair and violet eyes.

“Eh? Ah! Sorry, Silk. I was in a daydream.” Zane said.

“Finally, you decided to return to the world of the living. It’s only taken, oh, half an hour of staring at a tree… Wait. Another daydream? The one about that burning city?” Silk asked.

Zane nodded.

“You’re crying again.” Silk said.

Silk touched her hand to Zane’s cheek. It was dry.

“I’m not crying,” Zane said.

“No, you’re clearly… Huh. I guess you aren’t. I could have sworn-” Silk started.

A man stepped into the courtyard.

“What are you two doing, goofing off? It’s time for class soon.” He said.

“Senior Zhao! Sorry. Zane was daydreaming again.” Silk said.

“Well, he seems to have snapped out of it already, so do try to hurry up,” Zhao said.

“Yes sir!” Silk shouted.

Zhao sighed.

“Silk, this isn’t a military academy. You don’t have to be so formal.” Zhao said.

A beautiful tune started being hummed by someone right behind Zhao.

"Oh no," Zhao said.

“Oh yes. You know, Brother Zhao, I believe it’s a good idea to pay respects to one's seniors. Little Silk is just trying to be respectful.” A young man said.

He was slender, graceful, and seemed very cheerful, but he wore a sly smile that gave nothing away.

“Lord Liyun. I apologize.” Zhao replied.

“Tut Tut! Zhao, you’re doing the same thing that you asked them not to do. How many times do I have to tell you? Call me bro Liyun. You don’t have to be so formal. I believe that’s what you said, correct?” Liyun asked, pointing at Zhao with his fan.

“Ugh. Fine. What do you want, Liyun?” Zhao sighed.

“I wanted to ask if you were free later tonight. I have something I want to discuss.” Liyun said.

“I’m busy,” Zhao said.

“Aw, don’t be like that. It’s about the Crimson. Surely that’s important, right?” Liyun asked.

“The Crimson... I see. That changes things, then.” Zhao said.

“What’s the Crimson?” Silk asked.

“What? Why are you guys still here?” Zhao asked.

“Brother Zhao, you didn’t answer little Silk's question,” Liyun said.

“And I won’t. These are normal kids, Li. It would be dangerous for them to learn about this.” Zhao said.

“Hm. That is true. Well, you two heard brother Zhao. Off you go kids, it’s time for class.” Liyun said.


“Hey, Zane. Do you know anything about that Crimson thing that Big bro Liyun was talking about?” Silk asked.

“No. Of course I don’t. Why?” Zane wondered.

“Why? Why, you ask? Are you not curious at all? Don’t you want to know what they’re talking about?” Silk asked.

“Silk, your brother agreed that it was dangerous. If even he won’t talk about it with us, it’s probably a pretty big deal.” Zane replied.

“Yeah, but I’m still really curious! That just makes me want to learn about it even more!” Silk said.

“I really think it’s a bad idea to pry any further. Besides, even if we ask senior Zhao again, he’s probably going to refuse to talk about it. And your brother doesn’t seem willing to talk either.” Zane said.

“Oh! I know! Let’s spy on them!” Silk said.

“Are you stupid? Your brother is close to achieving a golden core cultivation level, idiot. He’d find us in a heartbeat!” Zane said.

“True. What a pain... What do you suggest we do, then?” Silk asked.

“Well, we could always look around in the library. There’s bound to be some information about them in there.” Zane said.

“Books and scrolls are boring. Any other ideas?” Silk asked.

“Well... we could always, I don’t know, leave it alone? Maybe?” Zane replied.

“That sounds boring. Oh! I got it! I could go and try to convince my brother while you read through the books!” Silk said.

“That doesn’t sou-” Zane started.

“I’ll give you permission to read books from any part of the library. Even the forbidden books.” Silk said.

She pulled a jade pendant out of her pocket and held it up.

“...Deal. But I still think this is a bad idea.” Zane said, snatching the pendant.

“It’s just a little bit of knowledge, right? What in Liwei could go wrong?” Silk asked.

0