Chapter 62
451 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 59: “THE COMPASS”

 

“So what did you pick?”

At his question, Morion took out a single gem. It was a translucent purple gem that seemed to glow even under the sun. The gem was very enchanting to look at yet for some reason, looking at it made Ai feel nauseous.

“It's called the Arachnid Gem.” He explained. “It's a material used to imbue your weapons. I haven’t got the chance to visit the blacksmith but I’m thinking it's a nice addition to my sword.”

Ai watched as Morion lift the gem up towards the sun, his eyes staring at the object with anticipation. It made for a beautiful image. The sun gently illuminated his attractive features. Ai cleared his throat and looked away.

Morion put the gem back into his inventory. “So, you wanted to find a quest?”

Ai shut the pretty image away and focused his attention back into what he wanted to do. 

A few days after the battle royale event finished, Ai had contacted Morion to meet him. He wanted to test out his new compass. Since Morion had helped him a lot, he wanted to give the reward from the hidden quest to his partner. He had racked his brain trying to find a way to repay Morion’s kindness after all this time, and this seemed like a suitable way.

“The compass said that there’s a hidden quest here.” Ai explained. 

Morion studied their surroundings carefully. For some reason, his brows furrowed in an expression that Ai wasn’t used to seeing on him.

“Is there something wrong?”

Morion’s expression returned to normal as he shook his head. “What about your guild activities?”

“We’re having a meeting next week. They wanted to give me some time to prepare myself so I’m good to go for now.”

“That’s great.” Even though his words were encouraging, there was a slight concern in his voice that Ai was confused about.

Was he worried about the guild activities? Or was there something here that made Morion nervous. 

Since they met up, there was this tinge of nervousness that slipped through Morion’s gentle expression. Ai didn’t know what to make of it, but he tried his best not to let it make him feel nervous as well.

“Let’s go.”

Morion didn’t answer but followed Ai. Behind the elf, Morion scanned the forest once again and felt a sense of dread on his chest. He knew these woods well. Too well in fact. He had a feeling that he knew what hidden quest was here and he didn’t feel good about it. He stared at Ai’s excited figure as he watched the compass. Morion couldn’t bring himself to say anything. He simply followed and hoped that his instincts weren’t right.

The two of them walked further and further into the forest. Ai felt that something was bothering Morion but he decided not to question it. He chalked it up to simply worrying about the hidden quest. Ai wasn’t worried though. After all, he believed in the power of them working together to defeat any kind of obstacle they came across. 

The compass led them deeper in until they came across a single dilapidated house standing in the middle of the forest. It looked so crooked and rundown, but not as rundown as the houses in the ghost village. Ai wondered what kind of quest he would come across.

He turned towards Morion to ask him about it, but his words didn’t make it past his lips when he saw Morion’s expression. He had a pained and dark expression that went beyond just worrying about a powerful game boss.

“What’s-” Ai started yet his words were cut short when Morion gripped his shoulders rather tightly.

“Ai, we shouldn’t be here. Let’s just -” Yet his words faltered as well. His gaze now stuck on the house. His lips tried to form words, but nothing came out.

Extremely concerned now, Ai tried to turn around and see what was bothering Morion so much yet the hands on his shoulders prevented him from turning.

“Don’t look.” Morion said, his voice tight. “Let’s go. We can’t be here.”

Frustrated now, Ai pushed the hands away and turned around before Morion could stop him. What he saw made his whole body freeze into terror.

It was a person. An old man to be precise. He had graying dark hair, gentle eyes and a slightly hunched form. The old man was staring at them with a gaze so soft, warm and familiar that it was hard to think that he was an NPC. He didn’t look like anyone distinct but Ayn knew him. He knew him. That old man, he-

He felt his breath coming out short. His chest felt incredibly heavy and clogged as he tried to let air into his lungs. It was no use, he couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t breathe at all. What was wrong?! What happened to the emotion suppression?! Did it break? No.

no no no no no no no no no no NO NO NO

“W-why a-are y-y-y-ou here?” Ayn spoke. Terror lacing his voice. His whole body was shaking. “H..o…w. How, how, how.”

Before he knew it, his hands were already moving. Pressing the logging out button faster than his brain recognized it. He heard Morion call out his name desperately but he didn’t care. He didn’t want to.

“Ai! Ai, listen to me!” His voice sounded unrecognizable. “Ayn!”

Yet he was already gone.

16