Chapter 14 – A dark offer. (Unedited)
549 10 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Trinity, is that you?"

The girl and the boyfriend(?) stopped in their tracks and looked at Eli. While the guy just looked at him with squinted eyes, clearly displeased that some guy called out his property by name, the girl looked at Eli with confusion.

Who is this pudgy bearded guy? Why does he look so familiar? Wait... Is that?

She blurted, "Eli?"

However, the moment she said that she immediately regretted it. She looked with worry clearly etched on her face at her husband, Gavin. Her worries were proven true. Her husband's eyes clearly oozed with jealousy and anger towards Eli.

Her husband knew she once dated a guy named Eli, and she knew his temper first-hand after they married three months ago. If Eli stayed here, it would not end well. She tried giving eye signals to Eli so that he would leave but to no avail. He was currently in a staring contest with her husband.

Gavin and Eli stared at each other, both with different thoughts and emotions.

Gavin stared at Eli because of jealousy and anger. He was a narcissist, and he perceived his wife as his belonging, his property. He took great lengths to instill his mark on his property, whether through violent, financial, verbal, or psychological means. He made sure to make his wife distance herself from her friends and family, making it so that only he was in her life. That she would depend on him for a living. And now, a threat came out of the blue. It was the ex-boyfriend of his wife, Elijah. The mere thought of the possibility of his wife breaking free of his control, cheating on him, or leaving him for the ex-boyfriend brought an unreasonable wave of jealousy and anger.

I have spent too long to make her my property properly. I can't risk having this guy destroying my efforts. I must drive him away, one way or another!

He then glanced at his wife. Her face was etched with worry.

And also reeducate her when we get back home. To remind her what happens when she defies me.

Eli, on the other hand, stared at the boyfriend(?). He literally felt the malice oozing from the guy directed at him through precognition. Not that he himself was much better. He was also angry. Angry at the guy who beat up his ex-girlfriend, Trinity, and also angry at himself. He knew that she was kind and gentle. She was a self-sacrificing girlfriend, having little to no needs of her own. The only reason why she left him was that he gave up on himself too much and for too long. No matter how good of a girlfriend she was, in the end, she has her own life. At that time, he hoped she would find a decent boyfriend and have a good life.

However, it was apparent that her gentle nature drew in bad company, one that specifically sought her type. She was an easy target. That was why he was also angry at himself. If it wasn't for his self-destructive attitude in the past, if only he kept some ties... This wouldn't have happened. He could have at least helped her in her own time of need.

Controlling his anger, he shifted his gaze back to his ex and asked to confirm, not even bothering to greet.

"Trinity, what happened to your face?"

Trinity shifted her body uncomfortably, her husband's gaze boring holes in her.

She looked at the ground and said, "I-I fell down the stairs..."

Eli narrowed his eyes and thought inwardly. That's a poorly made-up lie. The boyfriend(?) did it!

He then shifted his gaze to the boyfriend and finally asked, "And who are you?"

"Gavin, Triniti's Husband."

Gavin made sure to emphasize the word husband. As if to mark his territory.

He then continued, venom in his voice, "And you must be Elijah, my wife's loser of an ex. Looking at you, I'm not surprised she left you."

Eli was surprised that Trinity got married and wondered why she would do that so early. However, his musing lasted a mere breath when he heard Gavin's latter words. However, he was not offended or put down by those words. He was no longer a loser. He will soon be far more successful in life than the guy in front of his eyes.

He stared at Gavin and asked, "Did you do this?"

Gavin smiled mockingly, "Haven't you heard my wife? She fell down the stairs. Now fuck off!"

Eli didn't reply but looked at Trinity, "Trinity, if he is harming you, I can call the police and help you go through this. You only need to testify. Your injuries are more than enough for evidence!"

When Trinity heard this, a spark of hope flashed in her eyes.

Maybe... Maybe he can help me escape my hell?

But before Trinity could give her reply, Gavin interjected, a mixture of anger, agitation, and a hint of fear in his voice, "If you dare do that, I will make your life a living hell!"

When Gavin heard the words, police, and testimony, he got afraid. Gavin, contrary to his looks and behavior, was a very calculative and smart man. Or at least that is what he liked to think about himself. In truth, he was a coward, hiding in a big layer of muscle.

He isolated his wife from her social life and work. He became her physical and emotional support. She couldn't live without him anymore, and she could not distance herself from him for various reasons. That was also why he dared to hit her. A week ago, he got drunk and angry and hit her in the face, unlike his usual simple threatening and body battering. That was why, whenever she went out, he would go out with her to keep her mouth shut, as well as drive away any meddler, including the neighbors.

Now, he finally met a hard nail, her ex. Her ex seemed like he would meddle in this, whether he and his wife wanted it or not. If he manages to shake the web of manipulations that he instilled in his wife... Going to prison for up to a year was a likely outcome. In that time frame, his wife might also file a divorce and get a restraining order. By the time he got out of prison, not only would he lose his wife and job, but also half of his money, as he didn't sign a prenuptial agreement. That would ruin him!

Now it was Eli's turn to show disdain, not intimidated in the slightest, "A living hell? Like what you were doing to Trinity? What was your name again...?"

Gavin spat, "Gavin."

Eli droned, "Gavin, right..." And then said in a roundabout way, "Gavin, you seem like a smart enough guy. I am sure you know what will happen if this goes to court... Such as prison, losing your job... A permanent mark on your record... That would be disastrous for your future, might even make Your life a living hell."

Gavin's face hardened, his anger bursting at the seams, "What are you trying to say?! Spit it out!"

Eli said decisively, "Divorce Trinity, give half of your money to her, and put a restraining order on yourself to leave her alone forever. That way, although it will be a bit hard, you will still have a decent future ahead of you."

Actually, Eli was bluffing. If Trinity refused to testify, then no matter how good the evidence is, Gavin might still get out of this scot-free. He was trying to increase Trinity's courage while psychologically restraining Gavin.

While Eli was saying all this, Trinity, who stood quietly on the side, suddenly realized that she held some power! She finally had support!

After three months of this living hell... I can finally be free! Eli can help me. I'm not alone!

Unconsciously, she started distancing herself from Gavin and walked to Eli.

Gavin, who saw this, immediately got furious and grabbed Trinity's hand tightly with his strong grip, causing her to wince in pain.

"Don't go!"

She cried bitterly, "You're hurting me..."

Eli also voiced with a frown, "Gavin, let her go. Now. You are drawing in a crowd."

Only then Gavin realized that they were in the middle of the street. An idle crowd started forming up, watching the drama. Some were even recording this on their phones.

Reluctantly, he let go of Trinity, letting her run from him and get behind Eli. When he saw this, Gavin clenched his fist tightly, hyperventilating in hate. A casual outing devolved into him losing his wife, his property. And it was all because of this meddlesome fellow. Not one moment did he think that it was because of himself. He only knew how to blame others. That was how his brain was wired.

He spat a final warning before leaving, "I will make you pay for this!"

Spoken like a true third-rate villain from a sitcom - Eli thought to himself.

From beginning to end, Eli was unafraid of the intimidation and size of Gavin. To him, a man who already killed two serial killers and experienced getting shot a dozen times, Gavin was nothing but an overinflated puppy. Even if Gavin initiated a fight, Eli was unafraid. He had precognition and Time Stipend. Also, if Gavin dared to draw a gun at him, he had a gun as well in his inventory.

As the crowd slowly dispersed, Eli heard a sad sigh behind him. He looked back and looked at Trinity, sadness, worry, and a sense of loss in her eyes.

Eli also sighed and said, "Trinity, let's go and find you a place to rest. It's getting late."

Trinity remained silent for a bit before muttering, "Thanks..."

Eli inquired, "Do you have a place to stay? Other than your house? Maybe your mother's house?"

Trinity sighed, "No... I cut contact with mom before I met Gavin..."

Eli asked hopefully, "Maybe a friend's place?"

Trinity shook her head sadly, "Gavin made sure that all my friends hate me now. I am alone..."

"I see... Money, then?"

She shook her head, voice filled with bitterness, "I barely have $30 in my balance, not enough for even the cheapest motel. Gavin made sure I was on a tight leash."

Eli had many a question, like why she ended up like this. First things first, however. He needed to find her a shelter for the night.

His own apartment was not suitable, as it was too small for both of them. Besides, she was a girl, and even if he was her boyfriend in the past, it was too much to ask of her to stay with him, even if they had slept on the same bed in the past (Although nothing except for kissing occurred between them). Especially since she was currently married, no matter how horrible her current husband is.

As he was thinking this, Trinity asked, "Can I stay in your place? I don't mind sleeping on the couch..."

Eli shook his head, "I am independent now. I live in a small studio, and I barely have a queen-sized bed. No couch."

Trinity hesitated for a bit before muttering, "I-If it's you, I don't mind sleeping together on the same bed... I trust you..."

He thought for a bit before he relented, "Fine. You can stay with me then. But I warn you. The place is small."

Trinity let out a small smile, "I don't mind..."

Eli and Trinity didn't walk back to his house but opted to take a streetcar back. It was close to midnight by the time they got to his apartment.

After he opened his door, he bowed like a servant greeting royalty, "Welcome to my humble abode, My fair princess."

Giggling at the silly antics of her ex, she stepped inside his apartment. She did a simple scan and laid her judgment in her mind.

It is simple and crude... A far cry from his dad's house or Gavin's villa... But I like it.

She then frowned slightly at the bit of dust she saw on one of his chairs, her OCD kicking in.

Although I suppose it needs a bit of cleaning. It wouldn't hurt to have a female's touch here and there...

Eli noticed her slight frown. Knowing his ex, he already guessed that she thought his place was dirty, and her OCD was kicking in, "Sorry about that, Trinity. I wanted to clean my place today, but I forgot..."

She shook her head, "There is nothing to apologize about. I'm the sudden guest here. I will help you clean tomorrow. It is the least I can do."

"Thanks. Would you like some tea or coffee? Water?"

Trinity gave him a side-eye, "You should already know me good enough to know what I want."

Eli chuckled, "Green tea then, no sugar."

As he started boiling some water, Trinity took a wet cloth near the sink and cleaned up one of the chairs before sitting on it. 

After Eli prepared the tea, he placed two cups on the table and sat down opposite her.

While letting the tea cool down a bit, Eli was the first to ask, "So... What happened to you this past year? How did you end up with Gavin?"

Trinity sighed, "Remember that my parents were fighting at home? Dad divorced mom after she cheated on him. He moved back to Texas, back to his family, while mom brought her lover to the house... It wasn't long before I got driven out of the house. I barely scraped by, working as a cashier in some fuel station... Half a year ago, I met Gavin while I was working. We chatted together several times, and we clicked together... Soon, I started dating him. He was sweet back then, gentle even. He had money, looks, personality... A Mr. perfect for a girl in hard times like me. He pressured me to marry him, and with my own financial and emotional situation, I foolishly agreed... And after the marriage... It was the beginning... The beginning of my personal hell."

Her tone then took a darker tone, "Before I had even realized it, my friends cut their contact with me. When I tried to inquire about it, they refused to talk to me anymore. It turned out later that Gavin went out of his way to turn my friends against me. He made me quit my job, saying that he earned more than enough for the both of us, and he was right. He did indeed earn more than enough, a whole $8,000 a month, courtesy of family connections. However, by quitting my job, I also cut off my last source of income.

He already knew full well my family situation. He knew for sure that he cut all my ties to the outside world with the steps he took and all chances of me escaping. It was then that he revealed his true face. The verbal abuse, putting down my self-worth... Telling me sweet nothings, that only he could love me... Hitting me whenever he even thought I was trying to escape... He expected me to be a perfect housewife, unquestioningly loyal to him, spreading her legs for him whenever he pleases... Not that the pinky-sized dicked bastard could satisfy anyone, him not lasting even three minutes in bed, and not knowing about the word foreplay. Perhaps it was part of the reason why he was so insecure and possessive, thinking that I would cheat on him."

Taking a sip from her now cooler tea, she added, "With how he acted towards me and how bad he is in bed, I don't blame him for thinking that."

She did not cut edges or mince her words, giving the harshest judgment in her vocabulary on her husband, letting out three months of frustration. While her earlier words irked him a great deal, the latter diminished it, even slightly amusing him, bringing an amused smirk on his face, having almost forgotten how harsh his ex could be with words on the rare occasion that she was ventilating. That was one of the things that actually drew him to her in the first place. Not her looks, but her uniqueness.

Trinity glanced at Eli, noting his amused smirk, "So what about you? What happened after I left you? How's Nathan?"

The smirk on Eli's face vanished, replaced by a look of gloom.

He sighed and said, "Dad got hard into gambling, to an unhealthy extent. He went to those illegal casinos, drunk out of his ass, and lost all his money and property. Two and a half months ago, he finally had enough of the mortal coil and pulled the trigger. I was unlucky enough to witness the mess he left."

Trinity apologized, "Sorry for your loss..."

Eli dismissed it, "It's fine. My father died the moment my mother died. We just didn't know it yet."

Eli then continued his narrative, "I am now working at the happy-crabby factory as a line worker. Not a most illustrious job, but it is fine."

She raised an eyebrow, "Weren't you crabbing? What happened?"

"I got too obese and out of shape. They didn't let me."

"But you don't look obese now, just a bit pudgy. You even look a bit taller, and you look fit enough..."

"That's because I lost weight these past few weeks. Perhaps I will apply next season, depends if I want to or not."

Trinity nodded, not inquiring further. She then asked an important question, "So, what is the plan? How do I handle this mess?"

Eli remained silent for a bit, musing to himself before he asked, "Do you have all of your identifying papers on you? Is your bank account a shared one with Gavin? Do you have your phone on you?"

Trinity took out her wallet and showed her papers, "I have all my papers with me, luckily. He believed he could control me through financial means alone. As for the bank account, I still have one that is unshared. Not that it has any more money for me to use. And yes, I still have my phone, the same one I used when we were still dating."

Eli didn't reply and instead asked, "Can I have the card number of the unshared one?"

Trinity didn't ask any questions and just gave her card to Eli, fully trusting her ex-boyfriend. Eli took out his phone, opened an app, and sent $10,000 to her bank account before returning her card.

Trinity received a message about a money transfer to her account. When she read the amount of money transferred, her eyes widened in surprise and shock! Soon, tears started misting in her eyes, extremely touched, yet, at the same time, guilty.

She voiced out, almost crying, "Eli! This is close to all your savings! I can't take it. Take the money back."

Eli reassured her, "Don't worry about it. Actually, today, I went to the casino and inadvertently earned over $10,000. If you don't believe me, look here, I'll show you."

He then opened his bank account overview, showing it just like a trophy to his ex. Only after she saw the transfer he received a few hours ago, she calmed down slightly. However, it didn't diminish her guilt.

"Eli, that's your money, not mine. You could save it and go to college sooner..."

Eli waved his hand in dismissal, "Don't worry, it's fine. I want you to hire a decent lawyer and sue the fuck out of Gavin. That is enough to make me satisfied. If you still want to return the money I gave you when you're done, you are free to do so. Until then, keep the money. It also includes money for daily necessities."

He also withdrew $800 from his wallet and gave it to her, "Here is some cash, and don't hesitate to ask for more. You can live with me until you tide this over. Until then, know that you are not alone and that I'm here for you."

Eli's gesture touched her deeply. Perhaps to the current Eli, it didn't mean much, having discovered that the worth of money is like dirt, easily earned. However, to Trinity, it meant a world of difference. She perceived it as an act of extreme kindness when she needed it the most. How many people would be willing to give half of their money to an ex-girlfriend, just like that? She was certain Gavin, her husband, would have never done that willingly.

Bittersweet memories filled her mind, memories of the time they have spent together. Before the incident with his mother, she was happy. Even with the troubles at home, she felt secure about her future. Where did it go wrong? Did she make a mistake in her judgment when she left him? No... Perhaps, she would have done it all the same, even now. She was not strong enough to witness the gloom he had back then, Like a scalding knife wrenching her heart. Perhaps they were just not meant to be together, Fated to only be friends. But, maybe, just maybe...

Do you think we could have a fresh start? The two of us?

Those words remained unsaid by her. She didn't have the courage to ask that. Instead, she asked, "Can I use your shower?"

"Yeah, sure. You don't have spare clothes, though. Want to use mine? A word of warning, They're large. I have a belt if you need one."

"That... would be appreciated, thank you."

After Eli gave her some spare clothes, she went to the bathroom and undressed. Underneath her winter clothing, her skinny, battered body revealed itself. Every few inches, painful blue, and purple dotted her body, some fresh, some healing, some faded. As she took a shower, tears streaked down her cheeks, indistinguishable from the water showering on her head. A nightmare extinguished like an illusion by a helping hand. The only testament that it had ever existed was the dull pain covering her body.

After what felt like an eternity to Eli, Trinity came out of the bathroom, her hair and skin wet, wearing his clearly oversized clothes, half soaked in water. He could tell that she did not wear a bra, as the erect nipples of her modest breasts made two small protrusions on her shirt. His imagination would have run wild if it wasn't for her battered face and body, extinguishing all the perverted thoughts from his mind.

She opened her mouth and asked, "Do you have a spare toothbrush?"

Eli's reply was to go to a drawer and throw her a new wrapped toothbrush. After they both brushed their teeth, they went to bed.

Eli, who laid on the left side of the bed, said, "Good night."

Trinity, who was on the right side of the bed, replied, "Good night."

They then slept, backs facing each other, sharing the same blanket.

While Eli slept, he heard quiet sobs from behind. He did not need to turn his back to know that it belonged to Trinity. He did not turn around and hug her. He did not want to use her vulnerable state. Instead, he just clenched his fists, restraining himself.

Dark thoughts started to cross his mind, ones begging for blood, a life, Gavin's life. Many people have such thoughts on others they hate, and almost all never play on them, mostly because of the thought of the consequences of their actions. However, Eli had an especially dark thought right now. One that whispered to him in an echoing and ethereal female voice, speaking in a foreign yet understandable language, tempting him to commit to his thoughts.

{Kill him... Slaughter him... Butcher him... Make his blood flow... Revenge...}

But how? I will get caught if I do that. I will go to prison. I will be viewed as a killer, a murderer - Eli's rational thought argued, not at all bothered by the thought of killing someone, so great was his hate for Gavin right now.

{Do not worry... I shall take care... Of Everything...}

It was then that Eli received a quest from the system... No, not from the system... From something else, something darker. An ancient evil.

[The user has received a quest offer from the LVL -- entity, Ⱥsm๘đɇᵾs. By accepting the quest, you accept all the rewards and penalties alike. Whether the user accepts or rejects is up to the user.]

Quest: Kill Gavin.

Kill Gavin: Your ex-girlfriend, Trinity, was abused physically, emotionally, psychologically and sexually, by a man named Gavin, forever scarring her mind and body. I offer you a way to kill him without leaving evidence. The choice is yours, but know that inaction is one of the greatest of sins...

Description: Upon accepting the quest, you shall receive two items. The Cloak of minor null existence - Allowing the user to evade the senses of all entities and objects alike that do not use mana sense or enhanced senses. The Ring of evidence erasement - Erasing most non-magical evidence of the user's presence, including DNA prints, fingerprints, shoe prints, and clothes pieces, but make sure not to use your own gun or knife. It will not erase injuries inflicted on corpses. You will also know the exact location of your target through the system. Your objective is simple, and if you feel kinky, I shall reward you... Kill Gavin (0/1). Optional: Torture Gavin, and as painfully as possible (0/1). Time limit: 2 days.

Rewards: You get to keep the items, and Trinity will not die. Optional: Depends on how satisfying it is. 

Penalties: Trinity will die, and the items are forfeit. Optional: None.

Note: The penalty this time is not a real penalty. If you don't take action, however, Trinity will really die, one way or another. Consider this a gift from me to you, young one... Do note that you will need mana to use those two gifts, so I suggest you get your mana core soon, and I highly recommend maximizing it.

[Do you accept the quest? Yes/No?]

If Eli's emotions were calm, perhaps he would have considered things a bit more. However, he was not calm. He was a burning furnace of cold rage.

Yes.

[Quest accepted.]

Quests:

Main Quests:

  1. Kill Gavin

Side Quests:

  1. Basic training(12/30)

After dismissing the notification, he slept, letting the flames of his anger ferment, feeding on the sobs on his ex. Tomorrow is the day Gavin dies.

Yep, the murder cloak and ring are back, with a minor twist in them. Although I don't plan on making Eli go on a murder spree, this will make things a little darker.

19