Chapter 18
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam was nearly at the top of the Hons mountain, tired cold hungry, and beaten with shaking hands and soring muscles but sure of what he wanted to do, put an end to Thir's life.

Breathing in that altitude was the hardest thing and his boots however rough and high quality they were couldn't handle the sharp rocks anymore, worse than anything was his first misstep would be his last, Adam wasn't exactly ready for climbing, and the fact he got this far amazed himself too.

He climbed so high that he wasn't able to see the lower grounds anymore, clouds that surrounded the mountain blocked his view and the only sound that could've of be heard clearly was the harsh cold winds that brushed off the snowflakes on the rocks of the mountain onto his face, making climbing only harder.

He still had his sword close to him which warmth his heart with memories and why is he doing this, a motivation that's all he had to for climbing.

From time to time he could've see Eagleborns diving from the peak of the mountain to hunt animals for food and invaders for fun but they paid no attention to look around the mountain and keep an eye for anything, it was because they were sure that no man doesn't dare to climb the mountain and even if one does they probably already hunted him down.

In the very early morning when the weather was colder than any time of the day Adam reached the top of the mountain, it was big enough to hold a town in itself, which was a big surprise itself.

All the houses looked small made of the black rocks of the mountain. Adam saw hanging dead animals next to most of the houses and a pile of firewood for keeping their houses warm and pair of hand-crafted white wings outside of every house and all the town was built around the massive cave gate, where Thir slept.

With no guards and complete silence, Adam slowly walked to the cave's gate took one of the many torches that light up the entrance of the cave, and stepped in.

All these times he thought of how will he slay the greatest beast of all the eastern empire how can he kill the ender of the war and there he stood looking at the sleeping beast.

Her white feathers covered the ground around her and her wounds on her wings weren’t healed yet, she looked thin and fragile, weaker than the time Adam saw her in the skies killing all those men.

Her silver beak lost its shine and her claws were dull, he got closer and looked at her eyes, her huge silver eyes that used to match the color of her beak.

At that moment Adam realized that Thir wasn't sleeping, she was dying slowly and painfully.

"They killed you far before you can end the war didn't they"

Adam said and slowly draw his sword and got close enough that he could finish her and finally took his revenge for all those nightmares and all the agony she caused him.

Thir stared at Adam didn't move as if she didn't care at all she didn't even blink.

"what should I do now?" Adam after visualizing this moment thousands of times and being prepared for this very moment was now in doubt.

He climbed the highest mountain on earth to kill her but his hands wouldn't allow him. His nature wouldn't let it happen his instincts stopped him, Adam felt wrong. 

"look at you, can't even fight or fly anymore"

Adam put back his sword in its sheath and sat next to her and laid his back on her neck, it was warmer than sitting beside a fire camp.

"you know; you are the reason that I couldn't sleep well these past a few years while you were sleeping here like a baby"

Adam touched her feathers and gave a long, weary sigh.

"I wanted to kill you and were filled with hatred and revenge just a few second ago, now look at me, talking to you like you are my best friend" Adam's voice was fading from his exhaustion and fatigue, he felt like he can sleep this time and have no more nightmares.

"I'll be honest, I'm just tired now I should be angry and thirsty for your blood but now I just want to sleep" Adam closed his restless eyes and slept like he was at his own bed, safe soft warm, and finally felt at ease no nightmare nor fear only calmness.

He slept the whole day and by the time he had woken up the sky was dark once again.

He was lucky that Thir had covered him under her wing through the day and the Eagleborns didn't notice Adam sleeping there.

Adam packed his sword and backpack, stood up next to Thir, and got close to her face.

"guess next time I wanted a good sleep I know where to come" Adam said and smiled he looked fresh and full of energy.

"I hope you recover and can fly once again friend" Adam said before he leaves the cave.

He walked out with confidence like he completely forgot about his revenge and his past as if a new Adam was born.

As he got closer to the edge of the mountain he grabbed a pair of hand-crafted wings outside one of the houses and put them on like no big deal along with the mask and checked out the height for a few moments.

"well it can't be that hard" he whispered to himself as he got ready to jump off the cliff.

He could've climbed down but he neither had the power or the supplies and besides that, he always wanted to fly and nothing could hold him back no more.

Adam inhaled deeply and before fear can take a hold of him he jumped.   

He floated on the air like he had done it thousand times before with steady wings and smoothly flown away.

Adam smiled again as he looked around and started shouting "Woooooohooooo" full of joy and excitement he felt free, relieved, and in a way felt alive again, no one here could chase him no man nor beast could even saw him up there, the only companies he had were the stars and the moon which were awfully quiet that night.

"Thank you" he shouted looking back at the mountain as tears of joy spilled down his cheeks like a little boy who received his favorite gift for his birthday.

He knew the person he died in the cave next to Thir and the man who woke up was someone else. He felt like a newborn child.

 

                                               _  _  _

 

 

Adam continued flying away to the east until rocky roads and mountains replaced by massive forests which its trees hid the land beneath their leaves. He didn't recall what the forest was called and if he ever heard of it which felt strange because he didn't see any sign of a forest in this part on his map too.

Adam wondered how much of the road he had fled, he knew he was a few days ahead comparing with the time he could've ridden on his bike but still, he should not bump into a forest.

Either way, he needed a flat empty land to land on as he was losing altitude and didn't want to land on a bunch of tree branches so he kept his wings up and looked around.

Forest looked endless and at a point, Adam thought he was circling around the same place and there was no escaping it.

 Slowly dark clouds kept surrounding him in the sky making it hard for him to see anything else and harsh winds started blowing against him as lightings made horrifying sounds and each time lightings got closer and closer to his ears.

Adam tried hard to keep the wings steady but it was becoming an impossible task and he could not control his movement and the wings.

Forceful winds blew him here and there like a puppet and as he lost altitudes a bolt of lightning hit him and that was the last thing he saw, pour light and suddenly everything turned black.

For a newly born man, he certainly didn't start well.

0