CHAPTER FOUR
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

━─────╮•╭─────━

THE NIGHT CAME QUICKER AS BASILLA AND GINNY TALKED.

Ginny explained more about magic, it's properties and origins.

Basilla didn't try any herself.

"Your power is connected to your emotions. It's important that when you cast certain spells, you channel a certain emotion, or else you can release too much and hurt yourself. Much like you did in the forest. The best witches are able to handle their emotions under stress and in turn, their power. So, for now, I think it's best we just teach you the bookish things." Ginny had said, and Basilla agreed.

But, by then, Basilla was too drowsy to continue. So, Ginny left her alone in the room to rest.

It was strange sleeping on something other than her cot; she had gotten so used to it.

The blanket was thick and warm against the cool early spring night. The pillows were plump and comfortable, supporting her neck well.

But however comfortable she felt, sleep did not claim her.

Her mind was plagued with images and unfamiliar thoughts when she closed her eyes. And when she opened them, the shadows that danced along the wall of the room frightened her into shutting her eyes again.

The darkness behind her lids soon morphed into shapes, grotesque and contorted. Those shapes molded themselves into silhouetted images.

There were two silhouettes and one looked familiar. She'd seen that profile numerous times. The sloped, birdlike nose. The high cheekbones. Lips constantly pursed. Dame Gothel.

The other silhouette she did not know. The two embraced for a moment and seemed to speak with each other, but no sounds came from them. Soon, the conversation seemed to get hostile. The figures yelled and pointed. The unknown figure left and Gothel's figure sat with her hands to her face. Her shoulders shook as she faded away.

Basilla opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling. Why was she imagining such things? She wondered. Such had never occurred before, this waking dream. Like a memory she didn't recall having.

But Basilla pushed the thought from her mind. She didn't want to think of the Dame at all. She forced her eyes shut and eventually the shores of slumber pulled her out into it's ocean.

And just as she began to drift off, she was awoken.

A knock at the door sent her sitting straight up. There was a dim light emanating from under the door. Basilla stood cautiously as the gentle knocks continued.

Opening the door, Ginny stood behind it, cast in soft candlelight.

"Ginny? Is everything alright?" Basilla asked as Ginny walked in, quietly shutting the door.

"We must be quick. Klaus has horses waiting." She whispered rushedly.

"What? Why?" Basilla asked, watching Ginny grab Basilla's shoes.

"Put them on. We have to leave or we won't get a chance. Klaus got word that the king is headin' this way. He'll be here by morning, so we must leave now."

Without another word, Basilla tugged on her shoes and the pair left the room. Ginny blew out the candle and they quietly walked down the hall to the stairs.

Ginny guided her to the entrance of the inn, a big, heavy door that creaked in a shrill whistle when they opened it.

Ginny winced at the sound and set off even faster, taking Basilla by the hand and rushing down the dark street.

They trudged a ways off. It had rained earlier in the night and the walk was muddy and wet, but they dredged on.

The gentle whiny of horses and a faint light was a comfort as they reached a wooded area. Hidden behind the thick shrubbery was Klaus, keeping two saddled horses quiet.

"Took you long enough." He said, teasingly.

"Oh, bugger off, Klaus." Ginny said, taking one of the horses reins from Klaus.

He cast his attention on Basilla. "You'll be riding with me, Bas. Gin isn't the smoothest rider."

Basilla nodded and Ginny grumbled at his jab. But, quickly enough, Klaus mounted and pulled Basilla up behind him.

Ginny muttered an encanation and soon a small orb of light grew in her hands. She tossed it gently and it hovered in front of them.

They set off without another word, expertly traversing the dark wood guided by the light. Basilla tightened her arms around Klaus' waist and shut her eyes against the rushing winds.

The ride was nothing short of rough.

Trees and dark shadows rushed by in blurred masses, meshing into the night air.

The streetlamps in the town faded into the distance and Basilla's sight was overwhelmed by the darkness. The heavy huffs of the horses and their fluttering hoofbeats matched Basilla's racing heart. They kept like that for some time, how long exactly, she did not know.

It felt like almost an hour before she felt even a semblance of slowing down, but finally, they did.

The horses slowed to a trot as they reached a small clearing. Klaus and Ginny lead the beasts along, allowing them to sniff and stomp a bit before dismounting. Klaus helped Basilla down before moving off to tie the horses to a nearby tree. The orb of lights remained nearby, bobbing around as it pleased and illuminating the clearing.

Ginny let out a chuckle at the sight of Basilla's windswept hair.

"Don't you look a fine mess!" She said, carefully raking through Basilla's tangled locks. "Id've warned you if we had the time."

When finished, Ginny adjusted her own hair and set of clearing away branches and leaves.

"What are you doing?" Basilla peered over inquisitively.

"Making room. We'll be sleeping here tonight." Ginny replied, tossing away a particularly large branch.

"But, what if someone finds us?" Basilla asked.

Ginny simply nodded over to Klaus and the horses.

"We got those horses charmed ages ago. They're warding spells. Turn people the other way if they get too close. We'll be fine. Long as we can get moving to the next town by morning."

Basila simply nodded, trying her hardest to be helpful in clearing away some of the debris. They finished and Klaus returned soon after, his arms full. He held a large roll of fabric in one arm and a chest in the other.

He set both down and got to unfolding the roll. Inside were stakes of various sizes and a mallet.

"D'ya need a hand?" Ginny called.

"No, I'll fare fine." Klaus voiced back. "Besides, you couldn't pitch a tent if it meant your life." He joked.

Ginny shot a disdainful glare his way, but set back to her work, which wasn't really needed anymore but she felt she needed to occupy herself. By the time Basilla and Ginny had rid the area of everything but the very earth, Klaus stood proudly next to his newly pitched canvas tent.

"You couldn't have salvaged anything bigger?" Ginny whined.

"At least I got one." Klaus called as he disappeared into the tent.

Ginny rolled her eyes and beckoned Basilla to follow.

Ginny pushed back the flap of the tent and they both ducked in. The tent wasn't too small, enough for all three of them and the mess of furs that lined the bottom. At the far corner was a tiny furnace. It reminded Basilla of the one Dame Gothel used to let her use in winter.

Klaus was already laying down, yawning loud and wide.

"I suppose it'll have to do." Ginny said as she sat, looking about the interior. "Least we won't be here for long."

Basilla sat carefully next to her, her hands twisting and tugging at her curls. She had never been in a tent before, let alone in a tent with a man.

It reminded her of a book she had. The only one that spoke of men, one who left his lover for another woman. It made her sad to read it, but the Dame had stressed that this was the reality of it.

This is how they are. She had said. This is how they will always be.

"You fuss with your hair too much, Bas, it'll all fall out if you do that so. And you have such nice hair too." Ginny said, pulling Basilla from her thoughts. She moved closer and pulled Basilla's hands from her hair. "I haven't got a brush but here, I'll braid it for you. That way it won't be all ratty in the morning."

Basilla let Ginny take her hair in her hands as she wove the strands.

"How long did she keep you there?" Klaus asked suddenly.

"Pardon?" Basilla replied, recoiling slightly at Ginny's tugging.

"The witch. Gothel. How long did she keep you at her manor?"

Basilla kept silent, her eyes downcast.

Ginny shot Klaus a dirty look. "You can't go asking sensitive questions like that numbskull. What if she-"

"Quite a while." Basilla replied. "I was born there. She said I was born in that very room. She never let me leave."

"Oh, Bas. I'm so sorry, I didn't know it was that bad." Klaus said, his eyes shifting away as he sat up.

"I suppose in some ways it wasn't." Basilla said, giving Ginny a smile as she finished the braid. "She was kind sometimes. When she wanted to be."

"Did you ever try to escape?" Ginny asked bashfully.

Basilla nodded. "Many times. Knowing what I do now, she must've had a spell on the door. I used to slam myself into it until I was bloody, but it never even splintered." She whispered.

They sat in silence for a while, Ginny simply laying her hand gently over Basilla's.

Basilla's eyes searched for a distraction, settling on something that glinted in the corner of her eye.

A thin chain holding a jeweled pendant was wrapped around Klaus' wrist.

Basilla pointed to it. "That's a lovely gem."

Klaus' hand moved to it and he smiled softly. "Thank you. My mother gave it to me."

"She must care for you." Basilla voiced gently.

Klaus hummed. "I am sure she did."

"You doubt?" Basilla asked.

Klaus laughed and shook his head. "I make it seem like I am ungrateful but I have my reasons." He sat up, unwinding the chain from his wrist. It was longer than Basilla expected, more so a short necklace than the bracelet she thought it was.

"My mother was the queen." He said simply.

Basilla gaped slightly at this. "You're the king's son?"

Klaus nodded with a rueful laugh.

"Unfortunately, yes. It's not exactly a privilege holding that title. King Lucan is just as bad a father and husband as he is a king. Adulterous and aggressive. I don't blame my mother in that regard. But, she went about it rather spitefully." He chuckled as he recalled. "She had a witch spell my father to make him irreversibly infertile, so he'll never sire another heir. She had her death faked and my own before she left him. I think her spite got the better of her. It clouded her mind and made her act irrationally. She made a mistake and he found her. Had her killed. She got me out in time. Sent me to live with in Leasyde on the seaside, with Ginny and her parents." He nodded to Ginny and she smiled back.

He sighed, lifting the necklace to the light. "This necklace serves as proof of my birth." The small red pendant glowed faintly. "It contains my parents' blood. Irrefutable evidence. My father wants me dead. My mother wanted me to be king in his place. And it's my only chance to change this land." He gripped the pendant until it dug into his skin.

"So, the king is chasing you as well?" Basilla asked.

"He knows I must be alive, but it's been a decade since he's seen my face. He does not know the man he's looking for. That is my only advantage now that we've left the rebellion."

Ginny sighed deeply. "Another slew of enemies to worry about. Bran'll tell every division about our mutiny."

"We'll be fine, Gin. You know Bran likes to brag. Two towns over and there won't be a revolutionist in sight." Klaus assured.

"I'm sorry you had to leave because of me." Basilla said, wringing her hands in her lap.

"Don't fret, Bas. We would have left one day anyway." Ginny comforted.

"Aye." Klaus agreed. "We only stayed for protection. I thought it would give us an outlet to the king. But, in hindsight, it was a risk. For now, we need to make it to a safer place and hide out for a time. 'Til we get our bearings about us."

"I know you must be tired, Bas. We're to travel early, so it's best you get to sleep." Ginny said with a smile.

Basilla nodded as the three began to settle in.

Basilla's mind swirled with the past days. It made her shiver. But what scared her even more was what was to come. It was unknown to her what the future would bring and that terrified her. At the Dame's manor she could predict her day down to the minute, but here there was nothing to expect.

And she wasn't sure she was ready.

━─────╮•╭─────━

0