CHAPTER FIVE
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

━─────╮•╭─────━

 

  THE LIGHT THAT STREAKED INTO THE TENT WAS FAINT AND WISPY, CREEPING IN SILENTLY. 

 

  Basilla woke up alone, confused and groggy. 

   The flap of the tent drew her attention as it fluttered lightly in the morning breeze. Voices traveled to her, faint but present. One calm and low, there other quick and pitched. 

  Basilla pushed past the tent flap and stepped out. Her back ached as she straightened in the sun. 

 

  Ginny and Klaus stood a ways off, near the horses.  

 

"It's a waste of energy." She heard Klaus say. "You'll just tire yourself out." 

 

  "It's worth the risk." Ginny replied. "Who knows who'll recognize us?" 

 

  Catching sight of Basilla, Ginny beckoned her over. 

 

"Bas, you'll be the deciding vote then." Ginny announced with a sly smile. 

 

  "Ginny, that isn't-" 

 

Ginny stopped Klaus' protests to explain the argument. 

 

  "There's a chance that this next town'll house members of the rebellion. No doubt, Bran has already sent word of our escape. I think I ought to cast a disguising spell to keep us from being recognized." She explained. 

 

  "And I find the prospect unnecessary. If anyone knows of us, they'll be expecting a party of three. And two witches among them. Any band of strangers would look suspicious. And disguising us would be too much of a toll on your magic, Gin."  

 

  Basilla nodded, thinking between the two lines of reasoning. "What do you think, Bas?" She was asked finally. 

 

  "If it will be too much for your magic to handle, Ginny, I'm not sure it's such a good idea." Basilla voiced thoughtfully. 

 

  Klaus smiled at this. "See, Gin? Bas agrees. It's for your health more than anything. If you are really worried about it, we can come in separately so we don't look to be a group." 

 

   Ginny huffed, a strand of her red hair gleaming a brighter hue with the combination of sunlight and irritation. But, she finally nodded. 

 

"I 'spose that'll do." She grumbled. 

 

  Satisfied, Klaus set towards the tent to take it down and Ginny took to saddling the horses. 

 

   Basilla stood awkwardly in the space between the two. 

 

  "Do you need help, Ginny?" She asked bashfully. 

 

  "No, Bas. I can handle it myself." Ginny huffed, pulling at the belts of the saddle. 

 

  Basilla nodded and wandered off. She settled on a nearby tree, laying on it's side with it's roots upturned. 

 

  Her hearts wrenched a bit at the tension between her new companions. 

 

  Had I stayed out if it, Ginny wouldn't be upset. Basilla scolded internally.

  

   Her hands shook slightly. She didn't want them to be mad at her. As of that moment they were the only thing she had. The only people who had ever shown her a shred of kindness, though she had only ever known anger.

 

  They didn't have to keep her around. They could leave her right there on her little log in the forest alone and she couldn't really blame them if they did. 

 

  She felt her eyes water slightly, but quickly brushed away any semblance of tears from her cheeks. 

 

  There was an inescapable tightening in her chest that she could barely breathe through but eventually, with tightened fists and a stiff jaw, she suppressed the feeling. Instead, Basilla focused her attention on her surroundings. 

   

   She remembered where she was, that she was no longer trapped and that eased her a bit. The trees were swaying softly in the wind and now she could reach out and touch one instead of eyeing it from a distance. She liked that. 

 

  Basilla lost herself in this for a while, watching and touching the things she never had the freedom to watch and touch. She spun in small happy circles around the forest floor and only stopped when a gentle laugh broke her stride. 

 

  "Having fun there, Bas?" Klaus called. He wore and intrigued smile at her antics, which made her stop and drop her head in embarrassment. 

 

  "Yes, a bit." She replied. 

 

"Well I hate to take you from it, but we're just about ready to set off. We'll be able to breakfast once we get to town." Basilla nodded and followed eagerly behind Klaus as he walked over to Ginny and the horses. By then, Ginny was fully mounted, assuring her steed and adjusting her reins. 

 

  

   Klaus mounted as well and held out a hand to help Basilla up. She gripped it and pulled herself up carefully and sat herself just behind him. 

 

  "I'll ride in first, scout the town. Hang back for a while Gin, least 'til midday." Klaus directed. 

 

  Ginny simply nodded with a tight jaw. 

 

"Stay safe." Klaus said, before kicking his horse into a trot. 

 

     Basilla turned and waved Ginny goodbye as she disappeared behind the brush. 

 

  The ride into town was longer than Basilla expected, maybe since the horse wasn't traveling as fast as it had before. Though slower speed did not correlate with bumpiness. Basilla felt soreness shoot up her let the moment they set off. 

 

The town, 'Staelle' Klaus had told her over the wind, was larger than where they had last been. They arrived at a busy hour. Merchants and wise-women shouted their wares and cures in the streets. The wide walkways were lined with carts and booths full of goods.

 

   Basilla marveled at the sight. She hadn't gotten to see much of the last town, but now the sights were hers to behold. 

 

  Klaus merged inconspicuously with the other carriages and riders forming a queue down the center of the street. A ways down, the path forked and Klaus took the right which eventually led to a grassy gated patch. 

 

   A young boy sat at the gate, his cap hanging over his eyes. 

 

    Klaus walked the horse over and the boy stirred. 

 

"Mornin' sir!" The boy sniffed, sitting up straight. "D'ya need lodging for yer steed, sir?"

 

  "Quite so, lad." Klaus said with a smile. 

 

"'Tis just there, sir." The boy said, pointing to the far end of the grassy patch, where a small stable lay. 

 

  The boy grabbed the horse's bridle and led them across the field. The rain of days past left the grass wet and muddy, so there were no other horses grazing. 

 

  They reached the stable, greeted by a symphony of neighs and whinnies. 

 

  "Pa!" The boy called out. 

 

  An older man emerged from a stall and shuffled over. 

 

  "G'day, sir." The man said, tipping his cap at Klaus. "M'lady." He hurriedly added, noticing Basilla's small frame tucked behind him. 

 

  "I'll need lodging 'til tomorrow morn," Klaus explained, dismounting and helping Basilla down after. "What are your rates?" 

 

  "Two coppers a night, sir." The boy piped. 

 

  Klaus smiled. "I am afraid I haven't got any coppers. Will a silver do?" He said flipping a gleaming silver coin in his fingers. 

 

  "That'll do just fine, sir." The boy's father said with a smile as Klaus handed the coin over. 

 

  He took a satchel from the horses cargo, before patting the steed on the flank. "Be good, Vuros. Don't give them too much trouble." The horse puffed a bit of air in response. 

 

  Klaus nodded Basilla's way and the two headed out. 

 

"There's a lodge nearby. We'll head up a room there. We should stay as unassuming as we can. Mere passerby." He thought for a moment, looking across the sunny sky. 

 

  "Do you think Ginny is angry with me?" He asked, suddenly. 

 

  "She did seem a bit upset." Basilla replied, thinking back on the squabble.

 

  Klaus sighed. "She likes to use her magic too much. She's good at it, healing magic mostly, but lately she's wanted to try new things. But, now really isn't the time. She can't afford to be incapacitated from over doing a spell." 

 

   They walked down the street that grew slightly more populated as they went. "I know it's for the best that she saves her energy, but I feel bad." 

 

"Maybe you could get her a gift." Basilla suggested, indicating towards the displayed goods they passed. 

 

  Klaus hummed, thoughtfully. "I suppose that's a right idea. She hasn't had anything nice in a while." 

 

  He scanned the area in search of something good. 

 

  Basilla followed, but the gradually populating crowd closed the space between them and she lost sight of him in mere moments. 

 

  She searched around, standing on her toes, but she could barely see over the crowd. 

 

  Panic set in as she turned frantically. The movement of the throng jostled Basilla's body to and fro.

 

  She managed to maneuver her way to the side of the street, near the buildings where there were less people. 

 

  She ducked into a space between buildings, a wide alley. 

 

  From there she could see a bit clearer, but not much. 

 

"Are you lost, little lady?" A voice said. 

 

  Basilla's eyes moved to the sound. 

 

  A man stood ahead of her, slipping from the traffic into the alley. 

 

  "I - I've lost my friend." Basilla stuttered, her voice pitching to a nervous octave.

  

  "Ahh." The man voiced, inching closer. "I can help you find your friend." He said, his arm resting on the wall behind Basilla's head. 

 

  "For a price." 

 

In a moment, rhe man buried his head in the crook of her neck and his hands wandered her chest. 

 

  Basilla's body stiffened. She felt nauseous. Confused. She wanted to run, but her body was stuck. Her eyes brimmed with tears that threatened to drown her. 

 

  The pain in her chest that she had suppressed awoke again, clawing at her throat like an enraged beast. 

 

  She tried her best to keep the familiar feeling at bay, but as the man's hands traveled lower, the feeling clawed up higher. 

 

  It started with a single tear. It slid softly down her cheek and stopped at her jaw. She squeezed her eyes shut and her ears rang. But the ringing was better than what came after. A thunderous boom that felt positively shattering. It wasn't as bad as before. 

 

But, it hurt.

 

Basilla's skin burned and her muscles ached. Her body swayed even though she was standing perfectly still. But at least the hands on her were gone. With her head down she opened her eyes. 

 

  The ground held a familiar singe that made her worry deeply. Something was in the air. It smelled like sulfur and tonic, something she hadn't noticed the last time. But, there was something else.

 

   Quiet. The confusing bustle of civilian livelihood had ceased and there was silence. She looked up and the commotion had stopped as well. 

 

  They just stared at her. 

 

   The man who had touched her stood among them, his mouth agape and his hands shaking. They were red, raw and singed. 

 

  The whispers started. 

 

  The crowd shifted and Klaus burst from the tight group. 

 

  He reached Basilla, taking her hands and leaning down to gauge her emotion. 

 

"Bas, are you alright?" He whispered. 

 

  She did not reply, simply squeezing his hands. 

 

"Nothing to worry about here." Klaus called at the crowd. "Her magic goes a bit awry when she's hungry!" He laughed, beginning to lead Basilla gently away from the prying eyes. 

 

  "Watch your witch boy!" A voice from the crowd yelled. 

 

  Luckily, that was the end of it and the movement of the crowd moved back into its tumultuous pattern.  

 

   The two stayed silent as they walked, soon coming upon the lodge Klaus had spoken of. He pushed open the heavy door and let Basilla step in. The bookkeeper stood at a desk in the main parlor room that had been converted into a meal hall. Rowdy customers ate and drank at the mess of tables and stools. 

 

   "Room for two." He quickly said to the bookkeep. 

 

  "None left. We've got a single room to spare." She replied lazily. 

 

"That's fine." He replied. "We'll only be a night." 

 

  "Oi, witch!" A man called from a far off table. "You better not be here to make trouble." 

 

  Before either Klaus or Basilla could respond the patrons, many drunk, began a chorus of agreement with the man. 

 

  A loud bang sounded that quieted the room. 

 

"Quit all that fuss." An older, white haired woman stood and beckoned Basilla and Klaus over. "Come, child." 

 

   Klaus considered for a moment before cautiously leading Basilla over to the table where the woman stood. The wooden table was strewn with empty tumblers and cards. 

 

The woman embraced Basilla and kissed her on both cheeks. "I expected you'd come later this week." 

 

"You know the girl, Loc?" A man at the table asked. 

 

  "Aye. My grand niece. I told you she'd be visiting." The woman, Loc, replied. 

 

  "You didn't mention that." The same man said. 

 

  "Yes I did, you just don't listen when I talk." She snapped. She laid down a few coins from her apron pocket. "I'll be off, lads. Same time next week." 

 

  The men at the table said their goodbyes and Loc led Basilla and Klaus out of the room and back outside. 

 

   She walked ahead of them, not turning her head once. 

 

  They finally reached a quieter part of town, where the houses were farther apart. 

 

  "Why're you lot here?" Loc asked, traversing the muddy ground. 

 

"Why does anyone come through Staelle?" Klaus answered cautiously. 

 

  Finally the woman turned, danger in her narrowed eyes. 

 

   She pointed a wrinkled finger at Basilla. "She's got magic on her. Strong magic for someone so young. I'd recognize the aura of the king's witch anywhere." She hissed. 

   

   Basilla jolted at Loc's sudden change and Klaus held a secure and reassuring arm on her shoulder. 

 

  "She's a newborne. Gothel's newborne." Klaus explained. "She barely knows how to use what she has." 

 

  Loc raised a brow at this, taking a bold step towards Basilla and peering into the young girl's eyes. 

 

  Loc own eyes softened. "Hm." She sounded. "Come." 

 

  She continued on, wordlessly. 

 

   "Where are you taking us?" Basilla squeaked out. 

 

  "My home." Loc said. "We have much to discuss." 

 

  1. ━─────╮•╭─────━
  2.  
  3.  
0