Chapter 4: The One That They Called God
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I trembled. It wasn’t terror rather it was the complete opposite. I was flooded with rage. An agonizing rage.

Have I expected that answer? I thought to myself. The answer to that was simply—yes, I did. However, I wouldn’t want to hope that that was the case.

“Why, why did you do that!? What’s your purpose?”

“You know, Reiji, living for a long time really does suck the life out of you. I’m bored and wanted to spice things up a notch. And so, I sought something valuable, something that will give me thrill and excitement… Something that you will strive for to entertain me.”

The mockery in his pronunciation, word by word. Like a thin thread being pulled with great force, something within me snapped.

Before I became aware of it, I swooped in and my hands went directly for his slim obsidian neck.

Clouded with fury, I violently lifted him as if he’s some kind of object, continuing the strangle tightly.

“YOU MOTHERFUCKER! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE!”

I kept bellowing. For such a long time, I’d never had my arms ached in pain. Still, even with that, I hadn’t let go of the scumbag.

To be more specific, I would never relinquish my hands away from him even if it was useless.

However, there was no struggle nor any affliction from his non-existent face.

“Are you done?”

I should’ve impeded his airway yet he had no difficulty in saying that… Truly a monster.

“Y-you bastard! I’m going to murder you!”

“Let’s talk this over, shall we?”

“Shut up! You—”

“LET ME DOWN, HUMAN!”

“!?”

I was toppled down to my knees. No, I was forcefully brought down. I fell limply, weakened all of a sudden.

What is this?

An unbearable sensation swelled inside my heart. It wasn’t a regular ache.

It was atrocious, loathsome, all of the negative emotions seeping within me. I couldn’t breathe properly, I couldn’t think straight, I couldn’t utter any cry.

What is this? What did he do to me?

It’s continuous. And with a thud, I fell on the ground, looking at his unchanging grin, with my hands now on my chest.

Ah-ahhhh! It hurts! It hurts! It hurts! Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop! It hurts! It hurts! It hurts!

I curled, I writhed, I coughed, I asked for mercy. It was a sequence and with every lap, the excruciation factor expanded infinitely.

“It hurts! Sorry! Forgive me! I apologize! Please make it stop! Stop, please!”

I spat out. I induced myself to vomit yet instead only a hefty portion of saliva got released. I almost soiled and peed myself if he hadn’t said these pitiful words.

“Okay, you’re forgiven.”

The suffering and pain came to an end. I almost had my eyeballs overturned. My strength was gradually coming back to me.

“Wipe your face, Reiji. You look like a mess.”

The tone was the same. And the presence, it was the same. The one with a wicked and disgusting aura that had me paralyzed.

At that moment, I found myself staring at the bottomless ground.

It was useless, absolutely useless. The anger and frustration that I had.

That’s right… I know what to do. I know why I’m here.

I submissively laid down my hands and bent my body forward. I pressed my forehead against the ground.

“I’m sorry.”

The utmost gesture for begging a favor—prostration. The automatic response I gave as my tears began to fall. I give up.

“I’m sorry, I’m really sorry. So, please save them. I implore of you. Please save everyone. Please. Please.”

“You know I wouldn’t do that, Reiji. Showing your pathetic self won’t redeem me of my boredom.”

I kept myself down.

“Now that you’re like a trained puppy, why don’t you accept my beguiling proposition?”

I kept myself down.

“Aren’t you bored of your world?”

“…”

“Jackpot, am I right? I know it, Reiji. We’re the same so I think of you as a kindred of mine. This is why I’m here to give you something that’ll also satisfy your desires.”

I looked at him while he’s saying that. Whether to kill him or save the world that I lived in, that was my desire. The only pleasure that I’ll take in.

However, the one he meant was that of his own personal lust.

“How about going to a different world? A world that's full of magic and adventure. A world where monsters and hidden treasure exists. A world that you’ll fall in love with. Doesn’t that sound extremely fun? You would want that, right? You would perfectly want that, right?”

—What does that have to do with the destruction of my world?

“H-how can I gain the power to save everyone from there?”

“Oh, great question!”

He jauntily clapped three times.

“In that world, there are these beings called Numbers. Each one of them possesses tremendous influence all over the land. Your mission is to defeat and have them acknowledge you. By doing that, you’ll receive power.”

—What does that have to do with the destruction of my world?

“Then, my only objective is to defeat these Numbers?”

“That’s right. Ping pong. A perfect score. And what’s more, I’ll keep your world frozen in time meaning that you don’t have to worry about them and to have yourself enjoy to the maximum. Isn’t that great? Aren’t I so kind?”

—What does that have to do with the destruction of my world?

“Is that all?”

“Absolutely.”

Heh. He could stop time to let me have fun. He could give me the power to let my world be saved. I bet he could even restore me to peak condition on a whim. Of course, he can. He’s God after all. Right…

“DON’T YOU FUCK WITH ME, YOU SCUMBAG!! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! IF I’M SAVING IT—IF YOU COULD DO THAT!! THEN WHY BOTHER DESTROYING IT ALL, HUH?! YOU PLAY WITH HUMAN LIVES LIKE IT’S SOMETHING DISPOSABLE, YOU FUCKER!!”

After I yelled like an apparent idiot, I coughed and had to gasp for air. The diverse emotions that I had built up, I let it all out.

All that’s left is anger. Condensed, seething anger.

“Why are you doing this? You could’ve just sent me or someone. Why bother?”

“Because that’s not fun at all. Come on now, we’re just going spinning around with this, you know?”

He swirled a finger and pointed it toward me.

“I’m bored and you’re here to entertain me. That’s all there is to it.”

Don’t you dare call me by my name, you Scumbag!

I couldn’t win against him, let alone go against him. But if I accepted his self-serving proposal, I’ll be able to save my world. I’ll definitely save everyone.

And so, I glared at the pathetic being I called Scumbag.

“So, what are your stupendous ploy, O’ Great God?”

The sarcasm on my tone only made him more fascinated.

“Hahaha! That’s more like it, that certainly is what I like…”

The Scumbag levitated about five meters.

“In that case let me explain it to you.”

The floor quaked. Perhaps around magnitude 5 or 6. It was strong enough that I’d had to balance myself.

Encircled around us are blocks of shadows that had emerged from underneath and counting them, they were five in total.

As I stood up, I had to peer at each of them. They were doors but they don’t have a knob. The size was equivalent to a double door.

“For you to save your dying world, you’ll need to open these doors. Each of these will give you the power you needed.”

A light glowed above the doors, they were symbols engraved—I, II, III, IV, V.

Since I woke up in this nightmarish place, I finally saw a different shade of light.

“How do I open these doors?”

“Oh, another great question!”

A repeat of the three annoying claps.

“By defeating those beings called Numbers. They will be your key in opening these doors. That meant that for every win you obtained, you’ll get a boost up. It’s exhilarating, right? It’s absolutely exhilarating, right?

So, I just needed to defeat five people. They’re not that many. I’ll just have to adapt to the basics of that world and find myself the best way to level up. I’ve played hundreds of games, so it will probably be in a similar setup.

“One last thing, Reiji. I’ll have your memories altered.”

As I was in the middle of thinking of the possible schemes I could come up with, I was interrupted by that.

“… What for?”

“Well, for one thing, I’d rather send you in a jovial state than a face screaming for a brawl. And for the other thing, as I said, I want you to enjoy the other world experience. I’m so nice, aren’t I? You don’t have to thank me.”

What a self-centered bastard, altering a person’s mind like it has no bearing at all.

“So, what are you planning to change?”

“Sorry, I can’t say it. And don’t make me say it.”

A malicious aura emanated from him.

If I asked him, he might do what he did earlier or what’s worse, I’ll lose my chance.

Tch… He’ll hinder my progress just for his own amusement.

“Do I have the option to refuse?”

“…”

Just as I expected, the Scumbag didn’t respond. It seems that it was irrefutable, to begin with. He imposed it like some ordinary rule.

“Do what you want you fucking Scumbag.”

Everything’s already settled for me anyway. I’m just waiting to get out of this hell hole. I’ll just give him what he wanted, it’s not like I can change his decision.

“What are you waiting for? Send me already.”

“Okay—Ah! I almost forgot!”

The Scumbag thumped a fist onto his palm.

“Why don’t we have a bet?”

“What kind of bet?”

“Wow! You answered so fast. Aren’t you bothered or anything?”

“I just wanted to finish this once and for all. I’m exhausted looking at your disgusting face.”

“Eh-, interesting.”

A small white flame kindled on the Scumbag’s palm and approached me until we are an arm apart.

“What are we wagering for?”

“Your soul and my authority. If I win, I’ll have your soul and your world. However, if you win, I’ll give you the authority to be a God just like me.”

“What are the conditions?”

“Hmmm, seems like you’re getting used to me, I like it.”

The flame flew close to my chest. I sensed no heat coming from it.

“If you give up on THAT world, I win. But if you’ve fulfilled YOUR objectives, you win. That’s too easy, right? And the odds of winning are against me. Aren’t I wonderful? Aren’t I extremely wonderful? So, accept my humble offer, Reiji.”

Stop saying my name, Scumbag. And you better keep your word.

Once I gripped the flame as hard as I could, a strong whirling gale surrounded us.

I’ll take every opportunity I can get. And when I win, you’d better not have that grinning mouth of yours, Scumbag.

“Do you have anything more to say, O’ Great God?”

“Good luck and have fun, Reiji.”

Everything immediately dissipated. The blocks of shadow and the darkness receded to the center point. All went to the Scumbag and he too disappeared with it.

It was now a room painted in white. And my consciousness turning to that same color.

Mom, Dad, Kyo, Naomi, Satoshi, Jouji, Everyone.

I’ll find a way so please guide me—are my final thoughts before the smell of wood infiltrated my nose.

————————————————————————————

I’m Reiji Tatemiya and “I cannot remember my past.”

2