Chapter 6: Number
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If I had to describe her personality based on appearance alone, she’s like a principal with high standards.

The three of them lined up in front of the table and I followed along.

“We’ve returned, Guild Master.”

And they bowed, synchronously.

In my case, it was a bit delayed. I wasn’t expecting them to do that.

The brawny man delightfully smiled at me, perhaps to alleviate my tension. I do feel quite agitated.

He had the big brother type of guise so his actions were complemented by it.

“So, who’s the young man we have here?”

The Guild Master propped her chin with both hands.

“I am Reiji Tatemiya, Guild Master.”

“What a nice young man. Nice to meet you, Reiji. Well then, may I ask of your affair here?”

She looked kind of strict but she gave me a welcoming smile.

As I am about to explain my five-second predicament, Mira stepped in and glanced toward me, clearly indicating that she’ll be the one to handle it.

While she spoke to the Guild Master, I briefly examined the room.

The front side of the table had the letter V. The design was just simple. Not too over-detailed, not too under-detailed.

It’s probably the logo of the Guild.

Mira’s explanation took about a minute. I’m impressed that she pointed out every scenario concisely.

The Guild Master inhaled.

“I see. If I’m going to speculate, judging from your name only. Pastellia might be your place of origin.”

Pastellia...? Nope, it doesn’t ring a bell at all.

“I’ll do my best to gather information but searching it all over the land is going to be arduous. It’ll take a lot of time.”

“I am very grateful, Guild Master.”

Mira bowed to express her gratitude.

I took out my Karda. It was the only item I had that can provide some information.

“Excuse me, Guild Master. I can’t remember how to use this but maybe this may help in some way.”

“May I?”

I handed the Karda to her. She just shortly stared at it and handed it back.

“I think it’s better to take this to an Informant and have them unlock it for you.”

“… Thank you.”

Afterward, I bowed the same way as Mira did.

“Why don’t you have a seat? You’ve just come back from your journey.”

At the center of the room were a long rectangular table and two sofas.

Guys sat on the left and ladies sat on the right.

“Well then, it would be rude of me if I haven’t introduced myself yet.”

The Guild Master spoke to catch my attention.

“I am Amaya Gran. The headmaster of the mansion and the guild master of Guild Limea. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Reiji.”

I nodded to her.

She then shifted her sight to the man standing beside her table.

They met eyes with one another and then to me with a smile.

“I am Mayer Rankine but you can call me Mayer. I’m the second-in-command of Guild Limea. Nice to meet you, Reiji.”

I nodded to him.

“How was the quest today?”

The Guild Master inquired.

“Everything was all fine Guild Master…”

Aeri suddenly made her gesticulation. A passionate one at that.

“But, it’s Ranju. He made a horrendous mistake and almost killed an innocent man. If I wasn’t there to cover from… I-I can’t…”

And pretended to agonize over the false fact that’s kind of true.

“O-oy! You flat chested liar! I’ve already told you multiple times. I DID NOT! The Mudboars unexpectedly changed directions. That’s all there is to it.”

Ranju grinds his teeth in annoyance.

“Huh?! What did you say, protein-headed idiot?!”

“And what’s wrong with protein?”

“Now, now, you two. We’re in front of the Guild Master.”

Mira intervened to calm the ridiculous development.

The Guild Master and Mayer laughed softly. It seemed that they were also used to this.

Well, it is entertaining to watch them.

“May I ask you something, Reiji?”

The Guild Master broke the argument as she said that. I turned to her.

“Do you have a place to sleep?”

Fuck…

That never crossed my mind at all. She’s right. The Guild Master was right. I was too pivoted at trying to recollect my past. I haven’t thought of money and lodgings yet.

“Now that you’ve said it. No, I don’t.”

I suppose I might need to beg for money to be able to live for a while.

I also need to find a stable job and be cautious of people that might take advantage of me. Scamming and swindling are practical in large cities.

“Would you like to stay here, then?”

I paused my train of thought just to think if I heard it right. The Guild Master invited me to stay here?

She was waiting for my answer. I was embarrassed to say it. I’m just a stranger after all.

No, I got no choice but to accept it for now.

“I’ll gladly take your offer, Guild Master. It would really aid me, thank you.”

I lowered my head a bit as a sign of respect for her hospitality.

A small sphere that resembled a cotton ball, in size and shape, popped out near her.

“Hello, Kata?”

“What do nya need, Guild Master?”

A feline-like voice of a woman rang out of the cotton ball.

So, it was a communication device. It looked like candy. What if a person accidentally ingested that?

“Tell the other maids to prepare room 19 and have a set of clothes for male prepared.”

“Nyanderstood, Guild Master.”

After that, the cotton ball dispersed into dust particles and vanished, leaving no trace of it.

Not only did she lend me a room to stay in but a change of clothes too. I was overwhelmed.

“T-thank you.”

I lowered my head again with the same motif.

“You’re welcome.”

The Guild Master reclined, resting herself on the chair.

She wiggled her shoulders to cushion her back.

It must be grueling to have that size on her chest.

“Reiji if you don’t have anything to do today, I would like you to come with Mira to have you assisted in the adventurer organization. And for you Mira, I would like you to guide Reiji properly.”

“Understood, Guild Master.”

Mira replied and then looked at me.

“When do you want to visit the adventurer organization, Reiji?”

“How about you, Mira? When are you going?”

“I’m actually heading there following this meeting. I have to submit the quest application.”

“Then I’ll join you now.”

I don’t have anything to do anyway. And I want to check the Storage Karda they mentioned. It looked like it might contain something inside. I really hope it can help me find my identity.

“All right. Are there any more inquiries, anyone?”

The Guild Master waited for several seconds.

“Now that we are done on our daily report, let’s adjourn this meeting.”

And as the Guild Master declared that, Aeri and Ranju energetically stood up.

The two stretched out their bodies even though we only sat for a short time.

On the other hand, Mira was still seated on the chair.

At the top of her palm blue flames ignited. What came out from it was a long brownish paper.

It defied the concept of what a fire can do.

Is that magic? Magic’s amazing!

Mira smiled upon looking at the contents. After that, blue flames once again ignited but this time it did their purpose.

“Mayer, are you free after this?”

Ranju asked.

“Yeah, just let me finish this.”

Ranju pumped his fist at getting approval.

I’m just guessing but I think it’s about training. Ranju had an athletic build even though he looked younger than me, comparing our frames was like day and night.

Aeri was smirking and ponderously staring at the wall. There wasn’t anything there.

Or is it? Hmmm, nope nothing but a painted wall.

“Shall we go to the adventurer organization, Reiji?”

Mira asked. She was already standing.

“Yeah.”

We farewelled to the Guild Master and Mayer as we headed outside the room.

On our way out of the mansion, Aeri and Ranju made their way to the back door.

Before we leave, Aeri reminded us of dinner,

“Be right back before 7:00, okay?”

She said and Mira nodded.

… … …

“What are you plotting, Aya?”

Frowning at the lady beside him, Mayer said that. However, Amaya looked back and uttered in a natural tone.

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t play dumb. This one is different from the usual you. Letting a stranger inside the mansion. You could’ve just let him stay at an inn and pay for it. So, tell me the reason for that invitation.”

“If you were in my position, what would you do then?”

Mayer peered nastily at her. She had the countenance of a composed lady. If it was from the other people’s point of view. However, Mayer knew that it was the countenance of sarcasm.

“Of course, I’d let him stay here.”

“See. I’m just doing what you would do.”

“Quit messing around.”

“I’m not joking though. There’s something about that young man. And my intuitions were never mistaken. Isn’t that right, Mayer?”

Amaya whose voice is insinuating irony.

Mayer could only do was sigh in defeat.

She then cocked her head onto the door. The door that just a few moments ago, the four youngsters walked out.

Amaya perhaps elated by the arrival of the young man, tapped her fingers on the arm of her chair, making a consistent tune.

“If he’s the one, things will finally be moving once more.”

From being relaxed, her expression changed into a pensive one.

2