Chapter 9: Guild Limea
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night began when we got out of the adventurer organization.

The streetlamps flickered.

No more running carriages and the noise settled down.

If I was a kid, I would’ve loved to run around and play in this free space.

But I can’t do that anymore, I would only look like an idiot if I did.

“It’s beautiful.”

I muttered to myself. I’m talking about the ambiance of the city.

The right degree of temperature, the now silent houses and road, and the aesthetic of being under the radiance of the streetlamps.

“Mm-hmm, I agree.”

That was somewhat embarrassing, not going to lie, for Mira to hear my mutter. But I guess it was a justifiable definition of the place.

“Reiji?”

I turned to Mira as she called for me. The time decelerated the moment I did.

The long black hair shone and fluttered. Her innocent brown eyes reflected my image and her thin lips were curved upwards.

“It’s beautiful.”

“Eh?”

“Eh?”

What the fuck did I just say? It was true but why? I reactively muttered that and it’s directed towards her.

Now it’s definitely embarrassing. Am I now considered a pervert? But that wasn’t perverted, it’s untainted intention.

I thought of this and got interrupted by Mira who’s slightly blushing.

“U-um, would you like to join us for dinner?”

“Y-yeah, sure.”

Dinner? Isn’t it just at the guild mansion? Well, it’s not like I was invited beforehand.

… … …

We entered the guild mansion. The mega-large and mega-rich mansion.

At the lobby, waiting was Mayer, or at least that’s what I conceived it to be.

He was sitting behind the reception table near the stairs. He seemed to be writing something and then noticed us.

“Good evening.”

We greeted back. Mayer approached us with papers in his hand.

“Reiji, the Guild Master calls for you.”

What could it be? The only thing I can think of is the information about my past. However, it’s only been a few hours so it might be a different matter.

“I’ll be going first then, Reiji. Let’s meet up here at 7:00, okay?”

Here? In the lobby?

“Why here? Isn’t it supposed to be in the dining hall?”

“Ah. I haven’t told you about it yet. We usually eat dinner at an inn outside.”

“I see. I’ll see you later then.”

There’s still about an hour when we left the adventurer organization.

Mira had gone upstairs and I followed Mayer to the Guild Master’s room.

“Mayer, does everyone in the mansion go to that inn to eat?”

“No. Sometimes we do but mostly it’s just Mira, Ranju, and Aeri.”

Do they eat in groups? There’s no reason for them to be separated.

While I was thinking of this, Mayer probably saw me and continued.

“I usually eat dinner with my family at home. As for the other residents, they eat here at the mansion.”

“You don’t live here, Mayer?”

“Yeah. My house is only a few blocks away from here but it is on the other side of the main road.”

Well, that was surprising. Who wouldn’t want to live in this extravagant mansion? But maybe for independence or privacy.

Mayer knocked on the door.

“Guild Master, Reiji’s here.”

“You may come in.”

As we entered, the Guild Master was already leaned on the table and her chin resting on her hands.

She was smiling genuinely yet intrepidly; I don’t really know what it was but it’s quite tense I would say.

“Good evening, Reiji. Please have a seat.”

Yeah. I’m feeling tense right now for no apparent reason.

I literally got chills run on my skin as I was sitting down.

While Mayer walked to his old position, to the right side of the table, the Guild Master asked me.

“Have you found any information at the adventurer organization regarding your past?”

I think she’s talking about the Storage Karda.

“My Storage Karda had a Weapon Invoker and a bag of coins. Other than that, I’ve registered as an adventurer. They said that in order for them to provide me information, I needed to.”

“That’s good news then. I see that the weapon you chose is a gauntlet. It’s quite unorthodox on the design department though.”

How did the Guild Master know…? Ah, I forgot to remove it!

It felt too comfortable that I hadn’t been aware of it.

While I dematerialized the gauntlets, I remembered that bag of coins. I have money now.

“Um, concerning my stay here, Guild Master. I’m really grateful for your generosity but I think I can get by myself tomorrow.”

I can look for an inn tonight but I’m not going to blow away the opportunity of living in luxury. It might only be my chance to see the caliber of what the highest guild here in Thehill can provide.

“I see. If you need recommendations on what inn you should stay in, feel free to ask us.”

After I nodded, the Guild Master continued.

“And about my findings, I’m starting to gather descriptions that could potentially be related to you. So, I request that you would live here in Thehill for the time being.”

I nodded. After all, this is by far the safest place I can reside.

The Guild Master reclined on her chair. Her chest bounced a bit. And no, I’m not a pervert, I’m just stating the fact.

“Very well, I’ve called you here just to have an update on your situation.”

That marked that I could leave. Therefore, I stood up.

“I’ll be heading out now, Guild Master, Mayer. Mira invited me to come along with them for dinner.”

However, when I was about to leave, at the moment I rotated the knob of the door, the Guild Master said.

“I forgot one thing, Reiji.”

“What is it, Guild Master?”

And when I was about to turn around, the words that came out of her made me daze for a while.

“Would you like to join Guild Limea?”

Did I just hear it right? Join? Guild? Limea? Or it could be a staff member like a helper. That’s not it. If it was that then the Guild Master should be specific. And that wasn’t specific at all.

Anyway, she’s waiting for my answer. I’m just going to assume that it was that.

“… B-but, I’m just an F Rank adventurer. Recruiting in a high-class guild will only…”

“The ranking is not a qualification basis for us.”

She cut off my speech. How would I reply to that?

“It’s the aptitude we are looking for. My two children, Aeri and Ranju, are only D Ranks yet they are strong individuals. So, why don’t you at least try it, Reiji?”

Children? Not that it matters. If that was the case, I’m still a newborn in terms of everything, like a seedling that just had been planted.

But well, if I seriously think about it, there’s no downside for me. In fact, the benefits are great. Too great to be exact.

It’s a win-all-lose-nothing kind of bet.

“So may I have your answer, Reiji?”

“I’ll take it, Guild Master. What are the requirements?”

An expectant expression came from her.

“Hm, what a great young man. I just need your Ability Karda and Adventurer Karda.”

The two Karda’s mentioned transformed into brown papers. No changes from the Adventurer Karda, it’s just the letters became more uniformed.

“Here. I’m just an F Rank adventurer, Guild Master.”

The Guild Master scanned it in a usual manner.

“It’s alright. No need for you to worry about your rank.”

And when he swapped the papers.

“Hm, so you’re impotent.”

Ack-! That’s a lot of damage. To the one who invented that word, I hope you’re happy.

Done with her observation, the Guild Master dematerialized the two Karda and placed them on the table, in front of me.

“Okay. Now for the last one, a little test.”

“A test?”

I thought it was just the Ability Karda and Adventurer Karda.

“Yes. You’ll immediately know after you take your Karda.”

As I was about to take the Karda, at the corner of my eyes, Mayer seemed restless.

He’s glancing at the Guild Master. No. I think he was glancing behind her.

Is something wrong there? I don’t see anything but the window.

But when I shifted my sight on the Karda once again, the Guild Master’s right hand was gestured like a cat’s paw.

Strange. Is this the test? But I couldn’t make a guess of it.

I kept my sight on that as I grabbed the Karda.

And when I did grab it, the cat’s paw pointed a finger.

Suddenly,

[Three white lines] – [Red] – [Red] – [Green]

Three lines appeared in my vision and only the right turned green.

An immediate response. I made for the right one by tilting my head slightly.

My consciousness had commanded me to.

At the same time, a slap of wind streamed through my cheek.

… Wind magic?

It wasn’t strong nor sharp. Just the typical fast-moving one. I couldn’t believe that I dodged that in a split-second reaction.

“You’ve passed, Reiji. As the guild master of Guild Limea, I, Amaya Gran congratulate you.”

I looked back at the Guild Master who looked happy and was offering a handshake.

“As of this day, you are one of my lovely children.”

I still couldn’t swallow the reality that I passed. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad. However, to call me one of her lovely children is quite peculiar. Most likely, she would look like a young mother from her mien.

I accepted the handshake. With that, Mayer breathed in relief. He really was restless a moment ago.

That was the test. Regardless, I’m thankful for my special ability—Visual Perception.

If not for that, it would’ve been an easy hit.

“Would you accompany Reiji his room, Mayer?”

“E-er, that isn’t necessary—”

“That’s fine, Reiji. As your upperclassman, let me guide you. Let’s go.”

I couldn’t even finish my sentence. Mayer gingerly tapped me on the shoulders and smiled as to come along with him.

I retrieved the Karda and walked together with Mayer out of the room.

The hallway was silent and peaceful. I find it really odd.

This is the renowned Guild Limea. It's one of the largest guilds and yet I haven’t seen any adventurers.

“You couldn’t find other adventurers, right?”

Mayer, who was walking beside me, asked that.

“How come? Are they in another country? Or doing long quests or something like that?”

“Yeah. But the main reason is that Thehill is also known as the city of beginners. From the word itself, only the weak monsters inhabit here.”

So that’s why the adventurer organization looked abandoned.

“Then, no one is staying here aside from us. How many residents does this guild mansion have?”

“As of now, only eleven people live here including you, Reiji.

Mira did say that Guild Limea had a lot of influence so it’s common to have them all over the lands.

“Alright, we’re here.”

Mayer stopped by the door. We are on the third floor of the mansion.

Attached on the door Mayer was pointing on was the number 19.

“Thank you, Mayer.”

“No problem. And Reiji, if you’re available tomorrow after breakfast, I can teach you the basics of your abilities. We do somewhat have the same classification of weapon.”

So, Mayer’s also a gauntlet user. Anyway, I nodded and he left.

I entered my room and switched on the lights.

Whoa! Too big for a single person. I expected this quality. Wait. Now that I’m part of Guild Limea, this is my personal room now, right? If so, then I’m going to live in luxury every single day. Woohoo!

Above the bed, there’s the set of clothes prepared by the maids.

The bed itself is five times my size if I straightened myself like a log. There are several pillows too.

A study table and another door at the other side. And a clock… on top of them.

“I’m going to be late!”

Only a few minutes before seven.

I changed as quickly as possible and folded the adventurer attire.

The design of the clothes was definitely for the rich people. Too fancy for my taste.

As I was about to run outside, I had the urge to look inside the other door.

A little peek won’t hurt.

A bathroom. Don’t tell me that every room has a bathroom.

“Sigh. I’d love to have another set of clothes but it’s too immoral to request the maids especially that these are mine in the first place… Oh, the time!”

Along my way to the lobby, someone yelled to me.

“Hey, Reiji!”

It was Aeri. And before I even turn to her, a hand tapped my back.

“Yow! How’s the field trip to the adventurer organization?”

“Well, I’ve become an adventurer and acquired a weapon. Other than that, none.”

She was with Mira. Both of them are already in their pajamas and it had the same pattern too.

The only difference was the color. Mira had sky blue while Aeri had light green.

They looked like an adorable sibling in that outfit.

“It’ll take time but your memories will eventually return, I think.”

Aeri, whose hands are laid on her head, encouragingly said that. Mira smiled and the three of us descended the stairs.

Full of sweat and a towel on his shoulders, Ranju was there. He still had the same outfit only without the headband and other attachments to him.

“Hey! You could’ve taken a bath at least.”

The peering Aeri shouted.

I wasn’t drenched in sweat but I got struck by it. I also hadn’t taken a bath yet.

“Training is much more important! I can take a bath later.”

“Never come near us then, you stink! Ah. My nose. It hurts!”

Aeri exclaimed as she pinched her nose. Ranju inclined towards her and the two began.

“I-I do not! You’re overreacting. I sniffed myself earlier.”

“Gya! I’m going to suffocate! Someone, help me!”

“Okay. Everyone, shall we go?”

Mira clapped as to intervene the two of their prattling.

And here, I was enjoying the scenery but oh well…

… … …

“What’s with the long face?”

Contrary to their expressions, Amaya was exhilarated and as for Mayer, that was his.

“What do you think?”

“What are you implying? Please elaborate.”

Mayer, who’s mildly scratching his head, made way to the papers he left on the table.

“Using that on a beginner, Ava. Really?”

“Oh, so that’s what you’re speaking of? But Isn’t it much more innocuous than using plain magic? Am I right?”

“No. You using magic was outright absurd. You’d usually evaluate someone by just your intuition only.”

“Either way, Reiji had dodged it successfully. I wouldn’t use it if he couldn’t do so in the first place.”

As Amaya was saying that, Mayer was checking the papers one-by-one and faced onto the door.

“Sometimes I really don’t understand what’s going inside your mind.”

“Are there any more questions?”

“None. I’ll just finish this batch and go home. My wife and daughter are waiting for me.”

“Say hi to Minna and Firi for me.”

Mayer signaled a wave without turning back and exited the room.

2