Chapter 28: The Aftermath
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Somewhere at the outskirts of the forest, where hardly any trees can be found, three figures in respective cloaks were in attendance. The two of them, who just recently made an abysmal ambush on the underground mine, had their temples planted on the green-less soil. In front of those two was a cloaked woman, sported in a darker shade of cloak and had ornate on its hood section.

Sitting on a tree stump with her hands hooked on her legs, the cloaked woman looked at the two who are groveling at present. She let out a weak, disappointed sigh.

"What a letdown."

The cloaked woman said morosely. Her tone was dull and coyish that it sounded more of a huff than a chide.

"I even gave you my support. I don't even care about this Ruined whatchamacallit that your guild lusted forever. You begged for my assistance yet you still couldn't achieve the single objective that you came for. I'm really, reeeeeally disappointed. So what do you have to say for yourselves?"

"W-we lacked reliable information regarding the party and my cloak had a defect as to why I failed to abduct any of them. I deeply express my regret for that blunder, Madam. We shan't ever do the same again."

The man with a scar all over his face convinced. He felt the intense gaze of the cloaked woman on him that made him stutter his pronunciation at the start.

"So you're telling me that you would've succeeded if your cloak was operative? As far as I know, you already had one of them in your grasp."

The cloaked woman paused for a moment and leaned forward for a little bit without getting out of her position.

"Are you lying to me?"

She quizzed as her intense gaze exacerbated.

"Forgive me, I have no intention..."

The last of the three, the woman with tattered clothing and perverted nature furtively glanced at the scar-faced man as he made his petty arguments. This man is his superior, the very same man who would physically abuse her if she vexed him in the slightest and strangle her to death if he didn't get the necessary results. If it wasn't for her abnormal constitution from the experiments, she would've literally died by those. So to have seen him with his huge self-esteem being nosedived in the drainage by a girl smaller than the both of them, she mocked him inwardly.

To be bossed around by a little girl. What a comical doormat.

The woman with tattered clothing thought to herself.

"Fine, fine... How about you?"

The cloaked woman shifted towards her, waiting for an appropriate answer in which she had one.

"Well, the Elegant Blade was unfortunately there too. I did my utter best to slow her down but she's what everyone deemed to be—a remarkable adventurer. I'm truly sorry for failing to hold her on my own."

The woman with tattered clothing said. Her voice had the tiniest impression of indistinct sarcasm.

"Is that so?"

The cloaked woman, seemingly, regarded that answer at face value. With that in mind, the woman with tattered clothing sneered while she was kowtowing.

What a gullible little girl... Who's she to criticize our work? Acting like a big wig. She must be a brat of one of our higher-ups.

Slice! A slice as keen as a flicker of a finger resounded in the area. In the blink of an eye, still with her sneering expression, the woman with tattered clothing was in front of that little girl.

Huh? There was a minuscule amount of pain on her scalp. She blinked twice and noticed that she was being pulled up by her hair. Seconds later, she realized that there was no weight below her neck, neither a feel of her limbs nor nerves.

Everything apart from her head was laid on the ground and afterward, all of that became ashes—leaving not a drop of blood nor any of the garment she wore. She was literally just her head now.

"Could you please repeat that in front of my face?"

The beheaded woman had been drawn towards the face of the cloaked woman.

There, she saw the vague complexion of the cloaked woman. The partiality of her silver forelocks peeked out of the hood and under it was a pair of gorgeous gems—topaz-colored eyes, glimmering to perfection—it was so perfect that it could hypnotize anyone who'd set their sight on it.

The beheaded woman's eyes widened as she looked at the sadistic thin lips of the cloaked woman forming into a smile. Trepidation flashed upon every aspect of her being, it was hard to tell what the cloaked woman might be thinking. Furthermore, she couldn't regenerate her body as if it had been tampered with.

"Hmm? Cat got your tongue?"

The cloaked woman was waiting for an answer. However, the beheaded woman couldn't do so. It was like the little girl whose age hadn't reached maturity had sheer dominance over her.

The cloaked woman cocked her head to the scar-faced man.

"Oh Grail, report to your incompetent Guild Master that I've killed one of your inept members, okay?"

"Y-yes."

"Eek!"

The two voiced out in unison.

"Eh? So you can shriek, huh? But I have no use for disposable garbage who already got caught."

That's impossible, I'm supposed to be valued considerably. The beheaded woman thought to herself. Why? It's because...

"You thought that just because you're one of the 'successful' experiments, you'll be given special treatment? Is that why you're so full of yourself? Then, let me tell you a secret—a super tiny secret."

The cloaked woman's dull voice was mingled with sinister as she said those, and then closed in the beheaded woman at ear's range.

"You're irrelevant to us just like this man here. Why do I know this? It's because the conductor of those experiments is one of my siblings. It's hilarious to reckon yourself as someone special when you have no value. If anything, your saving grace—your existence alone is just to amuse me, which is why—now that I'm bored with you..."

Dazed and unresponsive, the beheaded woman sensed something painful flowing down on her skin. It was blood, the cloaked woman had done nothing, and yet every available hole in her head trickled red.

Upon knowing how powerless she really was, "P-please s-s-spare m-me." She begged.

Her inflated ego had now become nothing but a desolated rubbish. She realized that the little girl was the embodiment of wickedness, a being that was led by her own whims.

As the cloaked woman mulled that over, she placed a finger on the tip of the beheaded woman's nose. She fiddled with it, pressing it gingerly upward that resembled the snout of a pig.

"Hmmm... the garbage is begging. Oh, speaking of begging, I recalled that you're willing to be lower than a pet slave."

"Y-yes, I-I can be anything that y-you want."

"Hehe. Such an enticing deal, if that's the case."

The cloaked woman pondered again. Sooner or later, she jerked like an idea sparked on her mind.

"Oh, I know. Grail, here catch her."

She casually tossed the decapitated head.

"I'll let you pick, Grail. Your life or hers, which will it be?"

"Ah! That's—"

Splat! The scar-faced man, named Grail, mutated his arms into a furry claw and without hesitation, squashed the head like a bug as it got inside his proximity. Blood and flesh splattered about, creating a gory mess.

"Fufu, no hesitation, huh? Isn't she a precious subordinate of yours? ... Heh, talk about companionship."

It was her own fault that everything went haywire. She deserved it, having only been a member for about a week. Grail haughtily thought to himself. He blamed her for not giving him enough time to do his work even though, unknowingly, he was at fault as well.

Not only her but the boy with a headband, Grail couldn't forget how resistant that boy was and how his eyes never wavered. If he were to meet him again, he'll definitely torment that boy, wishing that death will be the only salvation left.

By the time Grail conceptualized that, the blood of the beheaded woman turned into ashes. Not a trace left to it.

"Oh, Grail, I remembered. Revoke the report. Tell them that you're the one who killed her, okay?"

"Y-yes."

"Good, good. Honesty is the best policy, after all."

The cloaked woman made playful little kicks while gazing at the sky. She took a deep breath as she reminisced the episode that had just transpired.

"That was fun."

She vented out a giggle. Straightening her back, she looked at Grail.

"Oh, one more thing I forgot Grail. Never pursue that group anymore until I say so, okay? And I mean ever. In fact, never go near them without any of my approval. It applies to all of you guildmates too, is that clear?"

"B-but Madam—!"

Slice! Both of Grail's arms fell, blood squirted on the ground. Similar to the deceased woman, his limbs didn't regenerate.

He wanted to scream in pain and fright but doing so will be his end. He knew what drastic effect it will bring about. Therefore, he just ingested the affliction.

The cloaked woman put a finger on her chin.

"I thought the answer would only be a simple 'yes' or 'no. Did they change that now? ... You've clearly heard me, right?"

"Y-yes!"

"That's great!"

The cloaked woman clapped her hands together.

"Okay. You're really lucky that I've quite enjoyed that Grail. Otherwise..."

She hopped onto her feet and crouched at the level of Grail, whose expression was ambiguous. She softly pressed her index finger to his forehead, circling it around to his cheeks, across the bridge of his nose, to the lips, and lastly hanged it near his right eye. At the same time, Grail was sweating buckets as he followed that with his sight.

Once it stopped, his eyes were linked to the cloaked woman's complexion. Her thin lips had a sadistic smile that he intuitively needed to look away from, but if he that, he fully knew that it will be his finale.

"Yuck, you're too oily and sweaty. Try to use some skincare products, okay?"

"..."

Having no reply, the cloaked woman tilted her head, confused.

"… Uh, where’s my answer?"

With a crack in his voice, he replied.

"Y-yes."

"Good boy!"

After hearing her desired answer, the cloaked woman patted Grail like a dog while her other hand, the one that was used on Grail's face, was wiping the oiliness away using the man's cloak itself. After that, Grail's arms, similar to a lizard, grew back to normal.

"But how can I explain any of these to my sibling?"

The cloaked woman rose to her feet and worriedly stared at an open space.

"Set aside those useless dogs but the creations my brother made also died. What should I do? What should I do, Grail? He really loved them. I hope he won't smack me in the head, I despised being smacked on it."

Grail turned to where the cloaked woman's line of sight was. Mountains of shredded corpses of Hellhounds filled the vacant lot. No, if Grail didn't know that those were Hellhounds, he wouldn't identify it. They were slaughtered to the brink of being indistinguishable along with the pumpkin-headed monsters.

He was unaware that the Hellhounds were all killed during their one-sided conversation. There was no implication of how she killed them. However, he understood that the woman with him can murder anyone as long as she hankered for it.

And to be frank, the cloaked woman was the one who created that grotesque scenery. Thus, she made that problem for herself.

"Hmph, you really are a boring person, Grail."

The cloaked woman abruptly cocked her head with a pouty snort. Grail flinched in regret as he forgot to answer her once more.

"You could've made a funny comeback like 'but you're the one who made that problem for yourself' and we would both laugh at it. Hmph, I'm exchanging you for a more useful retainer when we return to your filthy lair. Let's go back before I get bored to death and kill you. But first, let's tootle a bit. I still want to reminisce what transpired prior."

The cloaked woman demanded as she proceeded to skip and hum serenely. Grail acquiescently tailed her from behind like a dog on a leash.

"Lalala, I've finally seen the Hero, and together with him is the Priestess. Fufufu, this will be a piece of excellent news to my siblings. Humhumhum, they will be overjoyed and refrain from smacking me in the head..."

Incidentally, the cloaked woman was too tone-deaf to sing.

… … …

The Amrel Village had only received minor damages regarding structure, mostly on the fence and borderline houses. What actually suffered from the attack was the livestock. Hellhounds are carnivorous monsters so they would rather instinctually go at slow-moving or stagnant prey than someone fleeing. Suffice to say though, that gave the best outcome for everyone.

From what Mayer had told, a flock of Hellhounds was already assaulting the village by the time of their arrival. However, due to their timely intervention, there were no listed casualties among the villagers, although others still got injured.

When we came in, Cassio and some of the stationed adventurers were helping with the heavy labor around such as reconstructing, carrying provisions, and whatnot. Ostensibly, some people didn't have Karda based on the crates being carried from here and there. The Karda must be limited to a chosen few. In any case, the ones who got injured were being nursed by Peia as of now at a nearby building.

"I'll have to assist Peia, Reiji. You can take a rest there."

"I'm alright now, you can help them out. I want to help as well... Yeah, you don't need to worry about me anymore."

Mira was still holding my hand despite that the ambiance of the place was benign now. Up till now, I couldn't look at them straight ahead but I can communicate now, at the very least. And although I still couldn't maintain a positive vibe, I already decompressed myself.

"I'll be going then."

"Yeah."

I had things to do. First of all, there was the cloaked woman, I need to gain information about her. She was inside the Amrel village, plainly standing in the middle for all to look at.

Together with Freya, we joined Cassio and took up the provisions to distribute it to the villagers and damaged homes. While doing so, I interviewed the villagers but all of their answers were the same: A direct to the point "no". Not a single one of them had noticed the cloaked woman.

"Those cloaks have a concealment feature to them, making it practically impossible to detect the bearer. Even with my heightened senses, I couldn't disclose their location."

Freya explained. She was with me throughout the interview. According to her, those cloaks were ridiculously high-grade and only a specific association had access to them for highly classified purposes. In other words, they were illegal for public usage and no store would publicly sell those.

"For you to see through that, Reiji, you have a notable special ability..."

When Freya said that, I reflexively twitched. Perhaps seeing that, Freya strained her own comment. I wasn't sure why I reacted like that. But I figured that I shouldn't stiffen the mood further.

"Yeah. It must be my special ability. But the cloaked man, even though he wore a cloak—we all explicitly caught sight of him as if he wasn't invisible whatsoever..."

Saying that was a mistake. It made me remember that scenario again and my body began to tremble.

Damn, I hate feeling like this. The silence that followed it only made it worse. I think Freya was trying to alleviate it but doesn't have the words to speak.

A moment later, Freya finally spoke.

"Reiji, the mayor's mother is calling for you."

I peeked in the direction of Freya's lower frame was faced. The mayor's mother was beckoning at me. She had a short stature that I can practically see what she was doing.

"I'll be excusing myself, Freya..."

"Hm, yeah."

I sauntered over the mayor's mother.

"Young man, can you help me pick up the sweets at my house? I want to distribute them among the children to cheer them up."

I nodded. Along the way to the mayor's house, various conversations rang everywhere. The village population wasn't that many but because of the incident, it got busy. I even heard Ranju and Aeri, it seemed to me that they're arguing like usual. I'm somehow jealous of how natural they can be.

We entered the house and I was led in the kitchen toward the overhead cabinet. Once I opened it, I immediately found the bag of candies. Upon closer inspection, it was the same brand the mayor's mother handed us before.

"Grandma, is this it?"

I showed it to her. She nodded and took the bag. I had no qualms when I looked at other people such as the mayor's mother, and yet why couldn't I do the same with them?

"Would you like a cup of tea, young man?"

Out of nowhere, the mayor's mother asked me. Of course, I was taken aback by it. How should I respond to that?

"U-um... I better get back to help them. But thank you for the offer."

I flatly refused. To begin with, I wasn't fond of tea and I should resume my interview. Though, I knew that it was going to be a waste of time.

"You seemed tense, young man. Drinking tea can help you loosen them... Come, come."

... So, it was still evident on my face, huh. I thought I was fine now, that my emotions had stabilized. If the mayor's mother saw it, then more likely that they would too.

Without knowing, I was seated at the table within the kitchen. The mayor's mother whipped up a tea and put it in front of me. She then sat on the opposite side and had a tea of her own.

I watched as the steam rose and vanished into nothingness. I grabbed the cup, blew the steam off, and drank it. Naturally, the tea was hot and it slightly burned my tongue.

It has a bland bitterness to it and the taste wasn't fit for everyone, including me. Tea calms the heart and the mind. Even though I have no memories of my past, I still know that factuality.

And yet, after I swallowed it, nothing changed. Only the bitterness stayed on my throat and that bitterness made me remember the traumatizing experience again.

Why am I so weak-minded? I internally laughed in self-derision.

"It must be hard for you, young man."

The mayor's mother said suddenly.

"..."

"You can tell me your troubles if you want, I'll listen to it."

She smiled. I was reluctant at first. I thought that telling it would release me of the shackles. Then again, what if I was scowled at instead? I was conflicted. But before my mind had windup, automatically, sentences came out of my mouth.

I told her everything that panned out at the underground mine, how I pitied myself and used my companions to stay alive. There was a distinct stiffness to my voice and every time I was reminded of my cowardice, it suffocated me.

"... I was useless and would sell my friends just to live... I don't even have the right to call them my friends."

By the time I finished, I was extremely clenching my fist.

"But did they say that to you?"

"...?"

The mayor's mother was fiddling with her cup, gazing at its half-filled contents.

"Did they say that you were useless?"

"No, but..."

"No one can become strong in just an instant, young man."

Interrupting me, the mayor's mother said and smiled pleasantly.

"I think you've misunderstood useless for weak—and there's a major difference between those two. Right now, you might be weak and you have to accept that jarring truth. But from your story, I would never fathom a man who strove to live as someone useless."

"Still, I was consumed by dread and guilt. The fact that I was a burden to them..."

And the fact that they just let that fade away. I should've received condemnation yet what I was given was compassion. It sickened my inner conscience.

"You know, my sister was super strong... And I was the opposite."

The mayor's mother's shoulder drooped and her eyes permeated solitude.

"Not only me but everyone else depended on her valiant strength. She became the symbol of the people, tearing down all of our hurdles and serving as an inspiration. However, none of them—and even me—held her up when we've fully known she was going through difficult times. I've always thought that she can solve it, that she could overcome it. After all, she exceeded our expectations of her... Before we knew it, it was too late, she was gone. If only I reached out my hand to her that time. Even now, I haven't had the chance to redeem myself."

She looked at me. She was grieving and her expression had no optimism to it. How hard it must've been for her to speak of it.

"Perhaps, this was it. This was my chance to atone for that. You can be scared and run away at the things that you can't win against, it's the natural order of the world, young man. That is to say, that there are also things that you shouldn't back down from. It is the same with them which is why they fought through it. You might not recognize it now but indefinitely, those people will need you. At the same time, you will need them. That's why you should have more faith in yourself. Don't make the same mistake that I did."

"Then, how will I erase this feeling of guilt?"

It was caged inside my heart, constantly emitting repugnance whenever I interact with them.

"Time will tell you and you—yourself will know when that time is."

The mayor's mother rose to her feet and gaited towards me. She stretched her hand out as if she was giving me something. I laid my palm open and she tapped it twice.

"This is..."

It was the candy... That was for the children. I suppose I'm still a child then.

"That looked better on your handsome face, young man."

What is she...? I see. I haven't realized it but I was smiling...

"Well then, we better distribute the candy now."

The mayor's mother walked away before I could even ask any questions. Well, whatever. I just smiled and ate the candy.

… … …

We distributed the candy to the children.

The mayor's mother even gave out to Mira and the others. I guess we really are children to her.

Although I thought of that, the mayor's mother walked past Peia.

Weird isn't it?

But Peia seemed unaffected by it, perhaps it was because she was, first and foremost, an honored maid of Guild Limea. Yeah, she might just be embarrassed to ask for one. Hence, as an older citizen and a guildmate, I sneaked a piece for her.

"Here, Peia. I won't let them leave you out."

I whispered to her.

"Ah...? Thank you, Reiji."

She seemed genuinely surprised when I put it on her hand, maybe she was overjoyed.

"But Reiji. I'm not a kid anymore. I'm actually..."

She tiptoed and gestured me to lean down, which I did, then she whispered back.

"Eh?! Really?"

"Yes. But thank you for the consideration. It was nice of you to think of me that way."

She's from the fairy race. At a certain age, they'll stop developing appearance-wise and up until their last breath.

All in all, I was the one who truly got surprised.

Why didn't I think of her being part of the fairy race? I suppose it was because they looked too human that I misjudged Peia for one.

I got my first impression of her wrong, I hope it didn't offend her. But thinking of it now, the mayor's mother was an expert in knowing who is a child and who is not.

... ... ...

During the initial restoration of Amrel Village, Mayer delivered a letter to the capital to hire construction workers to renovate the houses. Even though the damage was minimal, none of us are actually proficient in carpentry. There are few in Amrel Village but it might take too long for them.

With that being said and due to the hefty work we did at Amrel Village and the incident, at some point all of us got hungry. We haven't eaten lunch yet as a matter of fact.

Therefore, we rested ourselves at a nearby bench and I materialized the basket and the wooden bottles in my Karda. Impressively, the sandwiches were still warm and the smell made me salivate. Even after half a day passed, the Karda preserved its freshness.

Everyone took a piece of sandwich. By the way, it was only the five of us. Mayer and the maids had eaten already.

I can finally look at them although there was still a gaping hole in my chest. The mayor's mother said "time will tell me" but I wasn't precisely sure what she meant by that. But I think it was for me to figure that out and I think this wasn't the moment for that. The mood right now is fine as it is, I don't want to potentially ruin it.

Okay.

"I wonder if the inn later would revert to its formal state. Freya's impression left them tight-lipped last night."

I simply started. It was kind of awkward to say it so suddenly but I spurred myself on...

"That's right. It was my first time seeing the inn like that. Hehe, even Ranju was starstruck when he saw Freya."

Aeri enthusiastically replied.

"Huh? You were just the same as me in that regard."

Ranju firmly retorted.

"Come on now, you don't have to be bashful about it. That's not so gentlemanly, you know?"

"I am not! ... And how did that even link to being a man?"

"... I-I'm extremely mortified for what I did last night. I should apologize to them later."

Hearing those two, Freya blushingly murmured to herself.

"No, those stout guys were actually glad you came, Freya. They were smiling privately behind their mouths."

I said to her. Hearing all of these, Mira heartily giggled.

From there, our conversation bloomed.

We talked about random topics that would bridge one to another.

"... There was this time when Arue was trying to show me his progression in wind magic saying "look big sis Mira, I can fly now" but when he performed it, he accidentally bumped his head in the ceiling. I had to heal him immediately after that. He worries us so much that we couldn't just leave him unattended."

"Well, being rash is part of growing up. I bet that Arue was just pumped up that he wanted to show it to you as soon as possible. After all, kids love to be praised for their accomplishments."

Mira would describe who Arue and Arua were to Freya, how adorable and energetic they were. I have seen them in the guild mansion so I do concur with that. As for the other two, Ranju and Aeri, their gluttony got ahead of them.

"Weina's fwud ish de bisht!"

"Euwh, I dwfniteluy awgreu!"

At least swallow the food before talking, but strange enough, I understood what they said. They were praising Rina's sandwich.

Speaking of which, Rina was the only maid who I haven't seen yet. Cassio, Peia, and Kata are here but not her.

Thinking this, I glanced at the other maids. And oh boy, they had a fierce aura radiating from their demeanor. It seemed that they heard the two.

They were challenged. This is what they call rivalry at its finest, right?

I should stop those two from chatting whose sandwiches are better.

"...?"

"Mofu, mofu, fulu, lufu, nyafuku, hafu, waifu."

"Weshnu, pishni, effre, appu, wurnu, snaku, giorno."

"…?"

I suppose they also got the message and instead transitioned their words into some form of an incoherent demonic rite.

… … …

It was time for us to depart.

Indebted, the mayor awarded us a bag of coins. Based on the proportion, whether gold, silver, or copper, it should be a lot.

"This is the spare we collected. Thank you for saving us."

Of course, Mayer didn't accept it and we all agreed to it.

"You should make use of that to restock all of the agricultural repercussions you lost. Likewise, there still further expenditure to be made."

The mayor had shown his gratitude by bowing.

"Thank you."

The stationed adventurer and the other villages copied as well.

We boarded the carriage separately. Mayer had their own which had a similar design to ours.

We farewelled the Amrel Village, waving our hands.

0