4. Noob
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4: Noob!

 

“Materialize!” There is no need to call it out loud, but I just felt like the occasion demands it. As my body turns translucent and takes the form of a spirit, their faces show a range of emotions: ugliness, surprise, amusement. I’d pay to see them again.

“Uh.” Dorian’s only verbal answer. And let me repeat it, verbal. As for physical… As quick as lightning, his hands move in a trained fashion to reach for the daggers by his waist.

“Dorian wha-” And before I can even finish the phrase, a dagger goes through my forehead.

“DUDE! That could have killed me!”

“But it didn’t. You can’t be hit by physical attacks, am I right?”

“Yes… yes you are, party pooper,” I say with a grin on my face. “It’s more than that tho, I simply can’t interact with anything physical in this form.”

“Neat! When you are free, please come see me. There are so many things I want to try with you.”

“Thi… Things? Why does that sound awful?” What was I even expecting asking this? The only thing I get back is a meaningful half-smile.

“Mark, I believe you have a few things to do.”

“Do I, Rand?” Authentic confusion must be showing in my face. I mean, I just came here to meet with them.

“Of course you do, you noob! Go to the instructor at the plaza and let him introduce you to the basics of the game. Then visit the cathedral, you’ll want to meet the priest that handles resurrections.”

“Uh… Do I really have to do all of that? It’s not like I can die again, and I know all I have to.”

“Yes! Come on, I want to play with you!” Lillia blushing just after saying these words, realizing that what she said could easily be misunderstood.

“Don’t you worry, I’ll be back in a short while!” Resisting the urge to wink at her, really constraining myself from taking it further, I have goodbye.

I materialize again and head for the entry to the city. A heavily guarded gate, flanked by two towers undoubtedly filled with archers, receives me.

“What is your business here in Irisgarth?” one of the soldiers at the entrance enquires me.

“Hello! I just come to meet an instructor and train. I am new and seek guidance.” If I’ve learned one thing, especially after talking to Jonas, is that one must keep appearances in this game. Talk nicely and behave even better.

“Go on then, make sure to cause no trouble.”

“Thank you, sir.”

And so, the most magnificent scene opens in front of me. An avenue with a mansion topping it at the far horizon. Street vendors at each side. Shops overflowing with activity. People coming and going from all places. Fruits I can’t identify. Awnings of vibrant colors. Facades of even weirder colors. A cacophony to the eyes that, at first sight, you wouldn’t think they match. But, that once composed, create a unique experience.

“Excuse me, madam.” I politely address the artifacts vendor on my right. “Would you happen to know the way to the plaza?”.

“Oh my, what a handsome youngster we have here!” I refuse to admit it, but deep inside me, I know she has just fumbled my body, from my hair to my feet, with her eye. “Would you like to buy this beautiful ring of mine? It is said that its powers will help with spell casting.”

“I am most sorry, but I am new to this world. I am afraid I do not have any currency to spare.”

“Oh fuck off! Straight, you’ll find it. Now go away!”

Huh! What is wrong with her! Where’s the kind old woman from a moment ago? Don’t let it show, do not lower to her level… “Most grateful!”

And so I keep going straight, just like before but being afraid to engage in conversation with any other merchant. After 10 minutes, 15 tops, I reached my destination.

That can’t be it, right? A queue with at the very least 100 people waiting dominates the view.

“Is this queue for the trainer?” I ask the last person there.

“I guess so!”

“You... guess so? I mean, what if it isn’t?”

“Huh! Good point. Wait.” And he just turns and asks the person in front of him. “Hey man, here for training?”. Funny enough, the other one seems to be in the same boat, as he only bothers to raise his shoulders in resignation.

“Well, I’ll go take a look.” Even if more people come, the queue is already huge as it is, it won’t matter much.

Said and done, I go ahead to the front of the queue. I truly hope there is more than one trainer. Maybe the line splits into several inside the building. Otherwise, I might be stuck here for a few hours, perhaps even a day.

“Excuse me, could I ask you one question?” I address the person who seems in charge of managing the queue. Maybe not a trainer herself, but she must be informed of what is going on. “Is this the queue for the trainer?”

“Indeed. This is the queue for trainer Lea, often called the Hunter Goddess.” Hunter Goddess… I’ve had enough of gods.

“Maybe there are some other trainers around?”. Oh my, his confused look right now speaks for itself. Why would you renounce training with the Goddess?

“Ah… sure. Each of the houses on the east side of the plaza is the home of a trainer. Head over one and ask for guidance.”

“Thank you! Truly!” Let’s see… There are placards on the facades.

  • Home of Lea the Hunter Goddess
  • Home of Elgar the Brave
  • Home of Isha the Wise
  • Home of Harde the Faithful

So, no Goddess and no Faithful, that is for sure. That leaves me with one who claims to be brave and one who claims to be wise. I’m not the bravest of men, but neither could I say I am the wisest. Still, given all that has happened to me, maybe a studied, smart person, might be better suited to comprehend my situation. Plus, there is no one at his doorstep!

*Tock* *Tock* I make myself announced by using the staff-shaped knock on the door.

“Who might you be?” An old, cracking voice comes from the inside. It’s shaky, probably from the age.

“Oh wise one, my name is Mark. I seek your training and guidance.”

Out of all the answers I was expecting from an old sage, even contemplating a straight refusal to guide me, laughter was not an option. The door opens, just to let the sounds reach me better, what an utter humiliation.

“Come in, young one. Follow me; the master of the house shall receive you shortly.” Everything said while not even bothering to hide his amusement. But of course, I’ve just called ‘Oh wise one’ to the, apparently, butler.

While the decoration is not exactly abundant, it is more than evident that this is a place of knowledge. Bookshelves everywhere. Cabinets showcasing the most exotic artifacts, probably of magic nature. Scrolls with languages I can never hope to comprehend—a real demonstration of a life devoted to the pursuit of erudition. Wise, a fitting name, it seems.

“Please have a seat over there.” He says while half bowing and pointing towards an armchair next to the fireplace. I certainly like the style, classy and elegant.

Less than 5 minutes after, I see a slim figure reflected on one of the multiple metal chalices on the coffee table in front of me. Long hair, falling wild over her shoulders but held together with a tiara on top. A long dress, plain but somehow elegant, reaches for her ankles.

“Hello Mark, my name is Isha. I’ve heard you seek guidance?”

“It is a pleasure, my lady.” Is that the correct way to address her? I mean, she can’t be older than me, look at her face! Not a single wrinkle, everything in its place and firmly held together. “Indeed, I have just been bestowed with life in this world, and it would seem I need some formation regarding its inner workings.” That’s the businessman in me, trying to sell the latest of my useless inventions.

Saying she is scrutinizing me might not be enough. She is submitting me to a complete exam. I would dare to say she is even piercing my soul. Fuck! I’m still shirtless! “As I see it, you have already experienced far more than some of the natives. What is it that you want me to teach you?”

“How can you tell? Is that some kind of spell?”

“There is little that escapes my sight. I know you have forsaken Jonas.”

“That… I can explain, I-”

“There is no need for explanations. You have forsaken and tarnished his name. And for this, I accept you as my apprentice.”

“Whaaat?” I have to make an overly conscious effort to close shut my mouth and keep whatever composure I have left. “Because I betrayed him, you trust me?”

“Jonas is no God, just a self-proclaimed faker with deliriums of greatness. It is by breaking your ties with him, that I am able to speak freely and teach you what I know. Let’s get to work!”

0