6. Battle Formation
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6: Battle Formation

 

I truly like Rand taking the lead when it comes to tactical formation. He knows what he is talking about. I mean, there is no groundbreaking novelty to his methods, but he is at the very least correct. Unlike… others.

“Let’s go over it once more. Dorian, scout ahead and fall back if you find anything. In battle, you will keep them busy by engaging in close combat. I’ll be on the front tanking the enemy attacks. Lillia will rotate and give me cover whenever I need to recover. Mike, do constant damage from behind. And finally, Mark, focus on keeping us up.”

“Understood!” All of us say at once, a tradition we have since our very first game.

“One more thing.” And all the playfulness in the environment evaporates. “Mark, you will be the shot-caller.”

“No way! Him? Do you want us to die?” Guess whose voice that is…

“Mike, listen here. You tend to have tunnel vision. Your class is damage based, and, well, once you target something you forget about the global perspective.” He pauses to let that sink in. “Mark must, precisely, look at that global view. He must know where our enemies are, who they are targeting, and how much damage they’ll dish out. He simply is better suited for the role.” Staring at me, “are you up for the task?”

“Of course! I won’t let you down, guys!” And I sincerely mean it. God! I was dying to see Mike relegated from that charge. Just as Rand says, he goes completely blank at times and forgets about the battle.

“Then let’s not waste more time!”

And just like that, we approach the entrance of the mines. Kobolds are small, rat-like creatures. They barely reach my waist, even though they stand with two legs like us. Maybe because, as they’ve told me, they are quite hunchbacked. Whatever the case, melee attacks against them are hard to connect, so we will have to rely on spells.

Oh yeah, the mines are not kobold-made. They are an old source of precious metals for us, the humans. It would seem that when all resources were exhausted, they abandoned the mines. And of course, they soon found another host.

Kobolds aren’t miners, far from that, actually. Like wild rats, they are omnivorous. But, given their evolved state and intelligence, they have taken a liking to meat. And, of course, they are no longer afraid to go look for it. What started as simple robberies to small caravan groups has lately degenerated into armed attacks with the eventual hijack.

And that’s mainly why we are here. Not to rescue the captured people, no. They are most likely eaten by now. Our mission is to decimate their numbers and to send a message. Mess with us, and we will exterminate you.

“Everyone to their positions. Scout ahead Dorian! And remember, be on high alert. The mines might be human, but it is known for kobolds to excavate their own tunnels.”

And so we enter the enemy’s domain. Dorian seems to need little to no light as he immediately ventures inside. We, on the contrary, must rely on the torch Rand is carrying.

The first few minutes are entirely uneventful. Just mines. The typical rocky walls. What remains of the cart’s rails. And nothing much to see. The support timber props are nonexistent or in such bad conditions that it makes one wonder how this whole cave hasn’t collapsed yet. There must have been oil lamps at some point, as evidenced by the cavities in the walls. Why didn’t they use magic? Maybe magic wasn’t always here?

“Mark, 3 targets ahead. All three equipped with swords and light armor. The one in the middle is also holding a shield. No way around them. I’ll meet you half-way there.”

I relay the intel to my party, instruct Rand to hide the torch’s light, and we continue along the only path ahead. Not long after, we meet with Dorian.

“About 11 meters ahead, they are blocking the way.” It’s dark, and our own light source is hidden to avoid being discovered. The kobolds seem to be carrying tiny lamps hanging from their waist, but they are far from enough to distinguish them from where we are.

Now it’s my turn to shine! “Thank you, Dorian. We’ll do this. Rand, charge at the middle one and try to keep the attention of the three of them. In the event it is too much, hold the one with the shield. Lillia will take care of stopping the other two if it comes to that. Mike, once they are secured, whoever is the closest you discharge your full force on him. Dorian, try to sneak to their backs. I’ll keep an eye on them and make sure none of you gets too low. Let’s go!”

With everything said and a nod of confirmation from everyone but Mike, Rand takes the lead. A single whistle from Dorian alerts us we are within range, at which Rand reacts immediately. I swear, seeing that big man, easily mistaken by a gorilla, running at full speed is both hilarious and frightening. Imagine a bull coming for you without any care in the world, face first and with its eyes injected in blood. And now, figure that beast glowing red. Because, fuck yeah, he is glowing in red.

PAM! A clean knockdown on the shielded enemy, who finds himself wining and rolling on the floor.

“Wait for the others to lock down on Ra-”

“FIREBAAALL!!!”

Sure, why not. Get their attention with a magnificent fucking ball of fucking fire.

“Lillia be ready! Engage on the enemy on the right! Dorian, contain the one on the left!”

It soars through the cave, blinding us all and successfully letting the goddammed kobolds know of his presence. There is no time to blame anyone; focus!

My predictions come to a brutal reality. Both minions turn and face us, threatening to collapse onto our backline. Even worse, the fireball misses its target. Rand, stretching his arm out of nowhere, lands a well-timed punch in the left one’s face, successfully preventing him from moving. A yellowish liquid, most likely blood, pours out of its lips. Dis-gus-ting.

Fast as an arrow leaving its bow, Lillia readies her narrow blade in front of her and approaches the one on the right. Have you ever seen a fencing match? Her pose while holding the sword, combined with her fast foot movements, gives the impression she is immersed in one of them.

Three slashes in quick succession to its belly. A faint to its right, to end up jumping to its left. Amazing, the agility of a fencer combined with the swordsmanship of a paladin.

“Hold him for a bit and fall back, Lillia! Mike blast him!”

“FIRE ABYSS”

The ground above the kobold cracks. A circle with embedded symbols starts forming out of nowhere. I peek at Mike and see him channeling.

“How long!?”

“10 seconds!”

Those very same symbols start glowing.

“Lillia, hold for 8 more seconds! Heal!” She might not be in danger yet, but she has lost over 25 health, so there’s no risk of overhealing her.

The sensation of casting a spell is marvelous. From within my stomach, I can feel a faint sensation of tingling. Those butterflies hurriedly ascend my body and go up through my arms until they find themselves in the staff. An inexplicable phenomenon, a myriad of feelings that happened but in the blink of an eye.

Betraying my expectations and those of anyone who has ever played an RPG, a radiant black light leaves the staff and immediately surrounds her. Her life goes up, just as expected, even though the weird color of the spell.

The lines that conform the circle, up until a moment ago pitch black, lighten and begin emitting an ominous aura.

“You’ve got it! Fall back at my signal!”

Sparks begin to appear here and there within the circle.

“NOW!”

The very same place where the kobold was standing 5 seconds before turns into a column of fire.

One kobold less! How am I so sure? Well, seeing its blood was disgusting. Smelling its rotten flesh being burned is… nauseating. It must be dead! I have to give it to Mike, the spell is slow, but if it connects… oh my, if it connects.

“Heal!” Rand has gotten a bit low, 100/133, so I use it as soon as the cooldown is over. The shield-bearer has recomposed itself and is covering the other one while it tries to stab Rand. He is in no serious danger, but given my spell cooldown, I can’t let it go.

“Okay, guys, let’s finish this. Lillia, take the small one. The others converge to the shielded kobold.”

A few more blood splashes here and there, two heals more to keep them topped up, and that’s it, our first battle done!

“Hooly fuck! That was amazing!!!” I let those words go without even meaning to do it, they just come up.

“Hahahaha! Exhilarating isn’t it? Nothing like the first battle!” Rand’s genuine laughter echoes in the cave.

Do you know what usually happens when the effects of adrenaline wear off? Well, reality settles in, you have the comedown. And fuck my life, I’m all drenched in yellow liquids! How! I was in the back! This smell… Oh no, please. Don’t. Don-

Bleeeeergh

Was so much realism necessary? I wonder while I throw the contents of my stomach out.

0