10. Rats and Mice
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10: Rats and Mice

 

"You got Isha to teach you? How did you manage to do that?" I understand Mike's confusion; after all, Isha herself told me she didn't usually accept anyone.

"Yeah, something about my class. I don't really know." Please let them buy it. I can't reveal any more information. They know my connection with God was broken, but they still think I somehow went to the church. One day I'll have to tell them, probably when they see me die, but I don't think now it's the moment. Plus, I've got to win Isha's favor.

"Mmh…" Dorian's head tilts to the side. "I guess that makes sense." Yeah, no way he believes me… Okay, I'll have to explain to them, just not now.

"I'll tell you, I promise. But for now, you'll have to trust me. Let's meet back here in 30 minutes. If there's anything, I'll call you."

Leaving the mystery lingering on their heads, I head over to see Isha. She told me to come back once I was 10, which I clearly am not, but the situation demands it. I hope she understands. Well, worrying about it is useless.

I walk the avenue, bustling with the same activity as the day before. The plaza, contrary to my expectations, is even more filled with people. The game is gaining traction, more and more people are entering.

I use the staff handle to knock on the door and wait. And wait. And wait even more. Huh? Is she ignoring me?

"Isha, I know I am not level 10, but I have something I want to discuss with you!"

Someone is inside, without a hint of doubt. Smoke comes out from the chimney, there's light escaping from the curtains, and I've clearly heard noises.

"We encountered a mouse-like creature when hunting Kobolds on thei-"

Criiii… The door, possessed by some kind of magic, squeaks and lets me in. I guess I have to go to that same hall? Entering and closing the door before me, I try to remember the way. Along the way, and after having done a few wrong turns, I bump into her.

"You said mouse? Describe to me how it looked." Her usual calm expression is nowhere to be seen.

"Yes! Unlike Kobolds, it had fluffy fur, whitish. Its body was shorter but not as hunchbacked. I would say it was… cuter?"

"Cuter? You better not fall in love with one of them!"

"No no! That's not what I meant…"

"Tell me, did you kill it? What class did it have? Name?"

"Ah yes, it is dead. It was some kind of assassin, well trained if I'm to judge for its accurate stab to my heart. Name… Aah…. "I make an effort to remember the events, "Shadow Mouse! Yeah!"

"This is bad… Come, we must see the Governor." The Governor? He's the maximum authority of the city, the upper echelon of the nobility. Not precisely a democratically elected position if my hunches are right.

"Would it be fine if my party came with us? I mean… they were the ones that invited me in the first place."

"Fine. We will meet them outside. Meanwhile, let me search for an old book of mine."

"Thank you."

*Ring* *Ring* "Hello Dorian, it's Mark. I need you to be at the plaza as soon as possible."

"Sure. Why, though?"

"I'm afraid this is even more important than what we gave it credit for. Isha wants to see the Governor."

"The Governor? Then it IS serious. We'll be there in 5 minutes."

"Perfect!"

I end the call and look for Isha, who is nowhere to be seen. "Isha! They'll be here in 5 minutes!"

"Good, get ready!"

Barely three minutes later, I get a message from Dorian through the machine's system. They are already here. I notify Isha, and both of us go outside. She takes the lead and introduces herself to my friends.

"Nice to meet you all. Mark has explained your findings; you did well coming to me. Now, let me briefly elaborate on why this event is catastrophic. The last time the Rat's Monarchy and the Mice's Empire united, they conquered half of the human territory."

"Do you think that is what is happening now?" I sincerely hope it is not, although the fear is there. I just have to ask.

"We don't have any proof to think the contrary. It might be only the Kobolds and Shadow Mice. They are not the whole races, so their power will be limited, but it is still worrying."

"Last time… did you manage to stop them? Is that why they only got half the territory?"

"Hah! We wish… The only reason we are not fugitives or slaves is that their union fell apart. Do you see this book?" She points at the tome she had been looking for before. "It is what remains of those dark days, the written history of how the Rats, blinded by greediness, tried to overrule the Mice."

"So… if they had cooperated," I do an uncomfortable pause while the information sinks in, "there would be no Irisgarth?"

"Precisely. That's why we have to bring it up to the Governor. The independent city of Irisgarth must be prepared for what might come. Quickly, follow me".

I've always wondered how Irisgarth can be classified as a city. Sure, it's composed of houses tightly put together, people enjoying their lives, bars, theaters, associations, whatever you would like to find in a city.

However, its size would suggest the contrary. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that a few hundreds of thousands lived inside. And I truly mean inside., as absolutely everything is surrounded by high walls. The medieval-inspired rampart is inspiring, impenetrable. What enemies are we facing that we can't come unprepared?

My thoughts keep me preoccupied while we take the avenue and walk towards the big mansion at its end. The ambient is tense; nobody dares to speak. I'm sure we are all thinking the same, what if they are uniting once again?

Up until now, I've seen Isha's house and the Merchants Association's one. Both astonishing. The first one due to the knowledge accumulated within, the second due to its riches. And now, a palace looks down at us from some hundred meters in front of us.

We find ourselves standing behind a metal fence, decorated with motives I fail to understand. Wings and feathers interleave to create the illusion that the latter fall from the former. Two big gates, closed with a metal bar that no man in its right should be able to lift, block our way. That, and two guards with spears forming across right in front of it. Patrolling over the perimeter, both inside and outside, I can count more than 10 people. The security is tight.

Isha makes a sign for us to stop and approaches one of the soldiers. I can't hear what they are saying, but her status alone seems to be enough, as they immediately open and let us pass. Still quiet, we follow after her once more.

Low bushes mark the way to the front of the palace. Red and yellow flowers appear here and there, with the occasional white bulb enlivening the space. Gorgeous, not overloaded with trees, the garden creates the perfect recreational space. Ample space to stroll with enough shadow to shelter from the sun. The deeper we venture, the more peaceful it turns. The hubbub of the markets and shops outside soon disappear, and instead the splashes of water jumping from a near fountain fade in.

"Governor." Isha bows with only the head, showing more an acknowledgment than reverence. We follow suit, albeit at least in my case, making sure my back also bends a little.

He seems to be in his late 40s. He's grown quite a large beard, which he wears nicely arranged and combed. His hair, also long, grows wild over his shoulders. A few wrinkles can be seen in his otherwise manly face. He's wearing a shirt with the two top-most buttons undone, and both sleeves pulled up. On top of his shoulders lays a long cape with an oversized and straight-up collar. A gorge connects to an ever wider lapel than runs down to its bottom—quite a first sight.

"Isha! You brought company? It is quite rare for you to come here."

"Indeed, there are pressing matters that must be discussed. It would be better if it was outside of prying ears."

"Come to my office then; we shall have privacy there."

We enter the mansion after the two of them. Military and nobility combine to create a spectacle as we advance. Guards perform military greetings to the Governor while servants deeply bow. However, I find the interior quite disheartening. It's sober, empty… devoid of any feeling. It should mean that appearances are of little importance here, and yet again, all I feel is coldness.

And the same goes for his office, made of only a table and a few chairs. "Please, bring some more chairs and then leave us alone." The Governor instructs the servant inside.

Barely 1 minute after, a few soldiers bring those chairs. We take our seats and wait for them to leave and lock the door.

"So, what is it that you have to tell me?"

"My student, Mark, will explain it."

The Governor's face just now took a little, almost imperceptible, twist. Just a second, and it went back to normal. Is it because she said I'm her student? Or because she lets me explain it?

"Ahem. Yes. We were on a mission for the Merchants Association on the mines at the west. Our objective was to kill Kobolds. We were a few hours deep into it when we were attacked from the back. To our surprise, it was not a Kobold but rather a mouse."

"A mouse, you said?"

"Indeed. Once killed, we confirmed it was a Shadow Mouse, an assassin."

"Is that true, Isha?"

"Yes, without a doubt." I still don't comprehend how she seems to know it all. But if that serves to prove we are telling the truth, so be it.

"This is serious… we must investigate, find out if it's an isolated case or we are facing another united front." A short pause to meditate, and he continues. "You five, can you go back there?"

Can we? We decided to abort last time. On the other hand… winning the favor of the Governor might prove priceless. Let's try to play it safe. "It would be our honor, Governor. I must say, though, that we are uncertain of what we'll find. So mayb-"

"Isha will come with you, do not fret."

0