18. Consequences
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 18: Consequences

 

Finally inside again! I was dead when I logged off, so I raise my arms alternatively to check if everything is fine. Yes! I’m myself again, in the flesh. I should be finding my friends, there’s a lot to do today. I send a quick message to Lillia, “You here?”. She is the most likely to have logged in before time.

An answer immediately arrives. “Yes, meet me by the shop!” Huh? The shop? We couldn’t afford it, and it can’t have changed in my absence.

As I approach the city walls, the differences become apparent. Indeed, war is coming. The whole fortification is being patrolled by archers and soldiers alike. Atop most towers, mages can be seen. The entry is guarded by a full platoon instead of the usual two soldiers.

“Who are you? The city is in lockdown, and tourists are not allowed.” One of the guards shouts at me the moment I approach. Am I considered a resident here?

“Hello.” I nervously wave my hand. “My name is Mark, I have come t-”

“Mark?” He interrupts me mid-phrase. “Are you perhaps Isha’s student?”

“That would be me, yes.”

“Come in, please. Isha gave the word to have you brought directly to her.”

“Thank you, I’ll go see her now.”

“We will escort you.”

“Oh no, no, there is no need for that.” I gesticulate with my hand. “I believe we need all our capable soldiers guarding the entrances.” Please… I want to go see my friends first. Hell, we might even have a shop?

“Very well then. Please proceed with caution; these are uncertain times.”

“Thank you!”

Not giving them time enough to think about it twice, I enter through the gates and take the avenue, heading straight to our beautiful street.

All four of them are talking and busily carrying things around a stall. Even though I knew it couldn’t be possible they had bought the shop, I kind of got my hopes up. Still, a stall is not that bad. As a first step, it is actually perfect.

“So, we got a stall?”

“Mark!” She says with a fond smile. “Isn’t it wonderful? We aren’t known yet, so we don’t have many clients, but we will make that change!”

“Hell yeah! You are a genius Lillia, this location is so perfect!”

Hahaha…” Her face truly is adorable when she laughs.

“Well then, how did it go yesterday?” I quickly change the topic, afraid of staring at her for too much time.

She proceeds to explain the events from the moment I logged off. They went to see Isha and together visited the Governor. Of course, the news was shocking. According to her, the Governor almost passed out and fell to his chair. I believe, though, she might have exaggerated a bit.

They discussed several strategies but ultimately reached a single conclusion. The town must be left undefended.

“I disagree with that! They are leaving them to die there!” Any trace of happiness gone from her face. Tears threaten to fall down at any moment, already accumulating in her eyes.

“Can’t we shelter them here?”

“Right!? That’s what I said! The Governor, however, opposed the idea immediately. ‘There wouldn’t be enough food and space for all of us,’ he said.” Her condescending voice completely exposes her anger.

“Fuck… what happens if they die? Do they get resurrected at the church like us?”

“I also wondered, so I asked Isha when we left…” The way she pauses makes it clear that it can’t be anything good. “Apparently, only those with powers get to be revived… most people at towns don’t have them… they would just…-” her strength finally gives in, and tears start falling, “-they would die…”

“Shit! This is so fucked up… this might be a game for us, but for them… it’s their lives, their families and friends… we can’t just abandon them!” I don’t think of them as NPCs; here, they are live beings, just like any of us.

“What do you propose?” Rand’s voice, more severe and profound than I have ever seen, comes from my left.

“We will go. We might not be able to do anything. We will probably die. But what is death for us? We MUST go!” An inner-voice I didn’t know I had somehow surfaces.

“See, I told you guys. That’s why he is our shot-caller.” Rand replies.

Huh? You already knew?”

“Of course, we were ready to follow you from the very first moment. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“Thank you, truly! We will go, okay, Lillia? And we will try our best, more than that!”

“Yes!” Still sobbing and crying, her face somewhat lightens up with the news. She knows, as well as I do, that we will probably be unable to change their fate. But we must try.

“Okay, guys. I need to go see Isha but wait for me here. I have to check your levels, skills, spells, status, everything.” We have gone too long without sharing them. We can improve our combat strategies if I know their abilities.

Reluctant to part with them and make them wait, especially Lillia, I turn my back and start running. “And don’t forget to sell everything before I come back!” I shout halfway to the main avenue. At least this might distract them a little.

Soon enough, I find myself entering her house. As Isha told me I can come and go as much as I want, I walked inside without using the doorknob.

“Isha! It’s Mark!”

“Come find me in the library, upstairs, and straight ahead.” Her voice magically makes its way to my mind.

I follow her instructions and find her rearranging some books.

“I have news that you must hear.”

“Is that so? What is it?”

“It has come to my attention that Dominion is under attack too. Several groups of warthogs have been systematically testing their defenses.”

“Dominion…” it is as though she is thinking of something but doesn’t dare to voice it out loud.

“I have been thinking lately… what if-”

“The attacks are not isolated?”

“Yeah, exactly! Do you also think it?”

“We have contacted several independent cities, and while some of them refuse to see the truth, three confirmed unusual sightings. Four now, counting Dominion.” She pauses a moment. “Palanthir, on the south, is also gathering a large army.”

“I…” I hesitate to speak, perhaps afraid of the implications of what I’m about to say, “do you remember the voice that spoke to me? Maybe there is someone behind these movements? I can’t believe all of the monsters have agreed to collaborate without an external force.”

“You are worthy of being my student. Although, I do admit that I have yet to teach you anything. Yes. There is someone or something behind. However, until we know more, this will be kept hidden. We don’t know if it is among us.”

“Certainly, only my friends and you know of it. And I intend to keep it like that.”

“Good.” That’s it? She just takes my word without any hint of a doubt?

“The guards at the gates told me you wanted to see me?”

“Ah yes, though I suppose your friends have already updated you.”

“How do you make it? Reading my mind, I mean.”

“I have not. That I only do when I consider it necessary; otherwise, it is common courtesy to respect others’ privacy. You will learn it in time.”

“I see. Well, yes, I’ve spoken with them and know what happened. And, I must inform you, we will attempt to save a town. We can’t leave people to die.”

“Although I find it commendable that you are willing to sacrifice your life and time, I also strongly believe it to be futile.”

“I… we know. Yet we cannot see it happen without acting.”

“I won’t stop you. But make sure you are prepared for its consequences. Do not waste any more time; you all need training.”

“Consequences? What do you mean?”

“Ask your friends about death. It is not my place to discuss it.”

“Thank you, I will go then.”

I make haste back to the stall, having barely been gone for 15 minutes. So it is not that easy? There must be penalties for dying. How couldn’t I think of it before? I zig-zag through multitudes, dodge vendors, and push around some people to arrive sooner.

Oh, is that a client I see? He seems to be buying one of the magic-enhancing books. Indeed, they are our best product right now.

“I’m back!”

“Everything’s fine? You seem absently minded.” Lillia asks me with concern.

“Ah, well, I just saw the client and was daydreaming of our future shop, haha.”

“I can’t wait for it!”

“By the way, everyone, there is something I must talk about with you. I have asked you to come with me on a suicide mission, yet I have not fully considered what that might mean to you. What happens when you die? There must be penalties, right?”

“First of all,” Dorian takes the word, “we come because we want to. Do not feel obliged. Answering your question, dying does carry some consequences…”

To sum up, it would seem that during a rolling 12h period from your last death, penalties sort of accumulate. Each death doubles the time you spend in the limbo, starting at 10 minutes. Also, each time you lose one level, which again doubles per death. To top it all, once resurrected, you remain in a weekend state for the same duration you spent at the limbo. This weekend state halves all your attributes, including health and mana, essentially making it easier for you to die again.

“Thank you for telling me. I didn’t realize it wasn’t simply reappearing at the church.”

0