Building My Body Part 1: –Awakening–
182 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rebooting...... Please, Stand By.......

5%

32%

68%

81%

ERROR: Memory Banks Lost; System Damaged; Initiating Factory Reset;


I opened my eyes, but I could barely see through them. They were dirty, rusted and broken, leaving me only a blur of the grey, cloudy sky above. I tried to access my memory, but it was all lost. The self-diagnosis was also inoperative, leaving me unable to determine the damage that had occurred to me. My barely functioning audio receptors then picked something up from behind me. A voice.

- Wait, it's on? - A man's voice exclaimed from behind. - It works! I can actually fix this one!

I felt myself being lifted off the ground, being forced to look at the floor as it happened. Not soon after, my power went out once again and I went back into low energy mode. It had been a while since the last time I had seen that screen. It was clear I had been turned off, but now finally operational, I could think. Unfortunately, all the time I had was wasted in trying to remember... Anything. Designation, residence, orders and necessary data were all gone. It was as if it all had just been erased.

After aproximately 20 minutes, I could see again. The sight was as bad as before, but I could see the silhouette of a face right in front of me. I did not recognise it. This person was clearly inspecting me in an attempt to ascertain damage. They did not seem pleased.

- Hmm. All limbs are gone, probably scavengers. The eyes are rusted, voice modulators aren't working and the micro-generator has to be constantly running for it to stay awake. Maybe I'll just start with the voice and eyes to communicate and go from there. Hear me, android? You're getting fixed. You can thank me later... When you physically can.

After that there were another 30 minutes, the figure was carefully cleaning and fixing my eyes. After both of them were fully clean I could see my surroundings. It was a messy but fairly clean workshop. I could see many different parts of scrap metal and electronics lying around. All the tools were scattered on a small table next to me, and the person fixing me was sitting right by my right side, eagerly watching me.

I could finally clearly see the man that was working on me. He looked young, in his early 20s. His eyes were hazel, and his hair was a dark brown and very dirty with grease. He wore typical mechanical clothes and goggles, and his hands were dirty and rough. It was clear he had been doing this for a while.

- Good! Now let's get to the rest of your movement, so you can better move around. I'd fix your voice modulator but... I just realised I don't have one here, and yours seems to be completely busted. We can go together to get one that fits you tomorrow. Now, about your limbs.

More time passed, and this time the man quickly gave me some replacement limbs. He was agile and skilful, finishing the process in barely any time and doing it securely. I could move my arms and legs, however the micro-generator behind me was still attached, and I could not move more than just a few meters. It was enough to look at a mirror, at least.

When I looked at myself I expected some form of recognition. Instead I found a blank, mannequin-like face staring back.  The eyes were the only thing with a semblance of personality, having a green aperture move as I focused my vision on different objects. My body was originally completely white, but now were dirty and rusted. The new limbs were all clearly taken from a crash test dummy and painted over roughly. My figure and face were androgynous.

The man walked up behind me, sending my way a concerned look. Soon enough he got up and grabbed the micro generator, attaching it to my back and shortening the cable.

- There we have it! It's getting dark now so I'm heading home. You uh... Feel free to do whatever. Just please, don't break anything inside. - He paused for a second. - Tomorrow we'll... umm... You know. Do the whole voice thing. There's a lot to do so... Patience and stuff. See you tomorrow.

He left the room and I sat down on the floor, staring at myself in the mirror. I did not even think about checking the rest of the house, I just ran a diagnosis check all night. The entire time, just staring at those sleek, clean eyes and blank expression. Some part of my memory would have to come back, surely.

They never did.

2