Building My Body Part 2: -Feeling-
96 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was around 6AM when he walked back into the room. I was still in the same position, staring into the mirror. Once he passed me I turned my head to look at him. He seemed startled and unnerved and walked around the workshop gathering a few parts. Noticing his reaction, I turned my eyes back to myself. Once he was done, he stood in front of me, blocking my view of the mirror.

- Hey, uh... We should head to the market early, the good parts always get picked first. Come on, I'll help you up.

He extended his arm to me as I stood up, looking disappointed when I did not accept his help. I had no voice, so I could not explain to him how heavy I really was. I simply put my hand over his and gently lowered it, attempting to be soothing. He opened the door and gestured for me to go outside. I hesitated, although I did not understand why.

Once I did get out of the room, I found myself in a small house with few pieces of furniture and fewer pieces of decoration. The man clearly was spending what little money he had on parts for his workshop and now on me. We walked past the living room and through the front door, and finally onto the streets.

The place was huge. You could see far away skyscrapers that were hundreds of floors tall, neon lights above and flying vehicles going around in patterns. Down on the streets, however, things were much simpler. The buildings and roads were small and made out of stone and brick and the few vehicles around were low-tech, nearly ancient cars with corroded rubber wheels and rusty doors. The clothes were simple, but colorful. I did see many pretty dresses, skirts, shirts, and shoes. Though that was the only semblance of color in the place.

We walked some more, coming across an open market with many different tents and stands. It was loud, people were shouting out prices, deals, product names and discounts. As we walked in silence, people would stare at me worriedly or disgusted. Something was happening within my programming that I could only describe as a feeling. I felt something, and it was not good.

- Here we are. - He stopped at a stand and shook a man's hand. - Hey, Hector! Long time, no see. I was looking for a voice modulator for this android over here. Got anything good for me?

The man he was talking to was large, had a huge beard and short black hair. He wore clothes similar to my helper's and was just as covered in oil and grease. He looked at me with a huge smile, scratching his chin as he did.

- Well, haven't seen that model before, but I have some universal fits. - Hector said, turning back and sifting through a huge pile of metal. - Here we go, got these just yesterday. You got lucky with your timing, kid. This one right here is compatible with voice changing, so you and your android buddy can choose whatever you want, whenever you want.

- Great! - He looked excitedly at me, almost as if waiting for a response. - How much for that?

They completed the transaction, and my helper and I walked around the fair for a while longer. Many pieces and parts were bought that day, all mechanical and purely for their functionality. I couldn't help but stare at all the other androids around. They looked distinct, had personality. Some were even on their own, being their own individuals. I looked like a blank slate, fresh out of the factory.

I did not pay attention to the entire walk back home, lost in my own processes and trying to understand what was happening in my programming, why I... Felt. And why it was bad. Once we finally got there, I sat down on the same place as before, staring into the mirror. But the man got in front of me and looked into my eyes.

- Hey uh... So, can I do the thing? With the voice modulator?

I shook my head and stood up, waiting for him to shut me down while working. That did not happen, instead he opened the plates on my chest and neck and started to change the wires around, fitting the voice modulator and slowly installing it. He would constantly take a step back to assess the situation and go back to work.

- Alright... Should be working, can you say something? Anything at all?

- Testing. - The voice that came out was robotic and lifeless. - Yes.

- Well, good! That works, and you should be able to change as much as you want too!

- What is your name? - I asked the only thing I could think of, trying to find a voice that would suit me.

- Oh, it's Mason. How about you? Got a name?

- I... I don't remember. I feel bad, Mason.

The man paused for a second, giving me a sad stare.

- Is there anything I can do for you?

- I want to figure out who I am. Can you call me by a name I choose?

- Sure. Yeah, of course. What's the name?

- I thought about it during the night. I want it to be... Olympia.

0