Chapter 6
2.2k 4 89
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The child in front of her was showing severe signs of hypothermia and from her fluttering eyes and shallow breathing, she could tell that the girl was fading in and out of consciousness. They needed to get her somewhere warm immediately. 

 

“Your coats!” She removed her own coat and swiftly wrapped it around the semiconscious girl. The other knights handed her their own coats and she wrapped them around the girl as well. 

 

Picking her up gently, she realized how light the child was, but she had no time to think any deeper about it. Holding her flush against her chest, she and the other knights moved at a brisk pace towards the village. She was careful not to jostle the girl. They needed to get her someplace warm where Claire could fully assess her condition and perform first-aid. 

 

The knights picked up their pace. 

 

~~~

 

Sable faded in and out of consciousness. 

 

She felt herself being wrapped in something warm before being lifted up. Unconsciously, she shifted closer to the source of heat. The person holding her was saying something, but she could not make out the words. 

 

~~~

 

“I got you. Stay with me.” Claire whispered to the girl in her arms, but kept her eyes forward. They were nearing the village. 

 

“I’ll go on ahead.” Talbot broke into a sprint and yelled for help. A few villagers who were keeping watch recognized him and opened the gate. He quickly informed them of the situation and the villagers acted quickly. 

 

Living in the North, they were well accustomed to the cold, but there would still be cases of people suffering from hypothermia. They prepared a room in one of the nearby houses and ushered Claire inside. 

 

Placing the girl on the bed, Claire set to work on treating her. A few women from the village joined her to help. 

 

It would be a long night. 

 

~~~

 

Sable awoke, feeling groggy and drained of energy. Her body was uncomfortably warm and she struggled to break free of the blankets wrapped around her. 

 

“Hey, slow down. Don’t push yourself.” A blonde woman dressed in a black uniform walked over and gently helped her up. Sable caught a glimpse of the insignia on her chest.

 

“...Where am I?” Sable’s voice sounded hoarse. 

 

“Hold on. Let me get something for you to drink.” The woman left the room and returned with a cup of hot tea. She offered it to Sable. 

 

“Thank you.” Sable cupped the mug in her hands and blew onto it, before taking a sip. The woman watched her for a moment. 

 

“You’re in my home in Frostford Village.” The woman explained. “We found you in the forest nearby suffering from severe hypothermia. I apologize, but we had to change you out of your clothes. I hope they’re not uncomfortable?”

 

Sable shook her head. 

 

“That’s good.” The woman smiled at her. “You’re quite a lucky child, you know that. If it wasn’t for that butterfly, we wouldn’t have been able to find you out there. I shudder to think at what might’ve happened.” 

 

Sable’s fingers twitched. 

 

“...Butterfly?” 

 

“Yes, this glowing blue butterfly.” The woman had a thoughtful expression. “I’d never seen anything like it before, My mother used to tell me that butterflies were ‘the souls of the dead who guide those who have lost their way.’ I never really thought much about those old folktales before, but after last night... Well, it seems you have a guardian angel.” 

 

Sable fell into silence. She thought back to the words of the other Sable. 

 

Oh, I’m much more real than you think.” 

 

It was clear that the other Sable could not simply be written off as just her hallucination. Somehow, the other Sable was able to act independently to save her life, and she seemed to know more than she was letting on. The more she thought about it, the more strange it became. 

 

Sable felt a headache coming on and she pinched the bridge of her nose. 

 

“Is something wrong?” 

 

“No, it’s nothing… Thank you.” Sable bowed her head. “For saving me.” 

 

The woman held up her hands. “No need for thanks. I’m just glad I could help you in time.” 

 

“Even still, thank you.” Sable was grateful, but her face remained expressionless. The woman observed her for a moment. 

 

“Come to think of it, I never introduced myself.” The woman stood up. 

 

“Claire de Mille, member of the Lione Knights, at your service.” She balled her right hand into a fist and placed it over her heart. It was a knight’s salute. “May I know your name, young lady?” 

 

“Sable. My name is Sable.” She omitted her last name. Whether or not Claire noticed, she couldn’t tell. 

 

“May I ask you a few questions, Sable?” Claire’s serious tone made Sable straighten her back. A slight wariness entered her eyes. 

 

Sable nodded. 

 

“What were you doing out there in the snow? Pardon my frankness, but you clearly weren’t dressed for the North and the forests around here are no place for children.” 

 

Sable sipped the tea soundlessly, thinking for a moment. The knights were the ones to save her life so she had no reason to lie and based on Claire’s reaction earlier, she didn’t know Sable’s identity. 

 

“...I was left there to die.” She answered somberly. 

 

Claire’s eyes widened. “By who?” 

 

“...My father.” Sable dropped her gaze and fiddled with her cup. 

 

At her side, Claire frowned. Her words confirmed their suspicions. While she was treating Sable, the rest of her squad went back to investigate the area where they found her. They were able to identify Sable’s footprints in the snow and retraced them back to a side road. There, they were able to find another set of footprints and carriage marks. But with their horses at the village, they were unable to pursue the perpetrators who abandoned Sable. 

 

Claire was at a loss on what to do. Returning Sable was not an option. The other party would likely expect her to be dead and she did not know what they would do if they found out that the child was still alive. As a knight, Claire swore a vow to protect the innocent and she would not allow them to lay their hands on Sable. Even if the other party was her father. 

 

Still, she was in no position to take care of the child. A knight like her would often be sent on missions and she would be too busy to properly look after Sable. 

 

After a bit of pondering, Claire came up with an idea. 

 

“Would you like to come with us back to the Grand Duke’s castle?” Claire offered. 

 

Sable fell into deep thought. The other Sable’s request repeated in her head. 

 

There’s something much bigger going on here and you’re going to find out what.” 

 

From her words, the other Sable suspected something, but she was unable to confirm it. 

 

Sable needed information. It was now clear to her that Marquis Marten kept her in the dark about many of his plans and she could not rely on the memories of her past life. She did not want a repeat of what happened at the Capital.

 

What better a place to start than the Grand Duke’s castle. They would certainly have a library and, if he already returned from the Capital, then she could also inform him about her father. It was killing two birds with one stone. 

 

Mistaking her silence as hesitation, Claire grew slightly desperate. “His Grace and his family are all good people, Sable. I’m sure they’d be willing to help you.” 

 

“I’ll go.” Sable bowed her head. “Thank you.” 

 

Claire sighed in relief and stood up. “I’ll let the others know.” 

 

Sable watched her leave, before she got up from the bed and paced around the room. Noticing a curtain, she moved it aside and looked out the window. 

 

It was early in the morning, but several villagers were already awake and going about their day. A few older-looking children were helping the adults, while the younger ones played together in the snow. 

 

Sable gazed at the peaceful sight with empty eyes. In her past life, Sable rarely went beyond the Capital. Most of her time was spent studying in the mansion or attending parties hosted by other nobles. The world outside seemed foreign to her. 

 

Hearing voices behind her, she turned her attention to the door. Claire entered, followed by three others, all wearing similar uniforms. They each saluted her in greeting. 

 

“Sable, meet my companions.” Claire gestured to the three of them. 

 

“This is Percival, our Captain.” The man she pointed to was older than the rest of them, but he carried himself with a certain strength. Despite being an old man, Sable could tell that he was more than likely a formidable knight. If the scars on his hands were anything to go by, he had experience fighting on the battlefield. 

 

“That is Talbot.” The knight she pointed to had light brown hair and a playful air about him. Sable felt that his youthful appearance and friendly demeanor belied his true ability as a knight. 

 

“And that is Isaac. He doesn’t talk much.” True to her words, the white-haired man kept quiet, but gave her a nod. Sable could not get an accurate read on him, but felt a strange sense of camaraderie. 

 

“It is nice to meet all of you.” Sable greeted them with a bow. Percival raised a brow, but this went unnoticed by the others. “Thank you for saving me.” 

 

“We are only doing our duty as knights, Miss Sable.” Percival replied. “So am I correct that you wish to join us on our way back to the castle?” 

 

“Please. If it is not an inconvenience for you.” Sable added. 

 

“Not at all, Miss Sable. We could use the company.” Talbot winked good-naturedly at her, but her face remained expressionless. This did not deter him. “I think Isaac and you will get along well.” 

 

“Now that introductions are out of the way, shall we eat? I’m sure Sable is hungry.” Claire gestured for them to follow her out into the living room. 

 

Claire’s home was small and humble. There was a small living room with a fireplace that was lit and next to it was a kitchen and dining area. It was enough for one person to live in, a big difference from the large mansion that Sable was raised in. 

 

And yet it felt more like a home than that place ever did. 

 

Sable sat in the chair that Claire pulled out for her. The others sat in the other chairs except Isaac who walked over to the kitchen. He returned and served the four of them with bowls of stew. 

 

“Is Sir Isaac not eating?” Sable noticed that he did not join them. 

 

“Isaac was in charge of cooking today so he already ate.” Claire voiced and scooped a spoonful of stew into her mouth. She let out a noise of content. “As excellent as ever, Isaac.” 

 

“Isaac is the best cook out of all of us.” Talbot informed Sable. 

 

“I see.” Seeing the others eat, she followed suit. She usually didn’t have much of an appetite, but the scent of the stew was quite fragrant and her stomach rumbled. She carefully spooned a bit into her mouth. 

 

The stew was mild, if a bit sour, but it was not unpleasant. The spices and the broth mixed well together with the small chunks of meat and chopped vegetables. Sable found that it suited her tastes and she steadily finished it. Claire discreetly gave Isaac a thumbs up and the side of his lips quirked up. 

 

“So, Miss Sable, where are you from?” Talbot piped up. 

 

“The Capital.” She answered. 

 

“You’re a long way from home then.” 

 

She stirred the stew in her bowl. “I no longer have a home.” 

 

The mood at the table quickly turned awkward when they heard her quiet mutter. Claire glared at Talbot and kicked him under the table. He awkwardly rubbed the back of his head. 

 

“Sorry.”

 

Sable hummed in acknowledgement, but said nothing else. 

 

They finished the rest of their meals in silence and the knights other than Claire headed out to prepare the horses. She cleaned the table and Sable sat, patiently waiting for her. 

 

“I’m sorry about Talbot. He may talk a lot, but he means well.” Claire had an apologetic expression. 

 

“You didn’t tell them?” Sable tilted her head. 

 

“I told them you had difficult circumstances. Thought it would be more comfortable for you that way.” Claire replied. “Come on, let's get you dressed for the journey. Properly this time.” 

 

Sable stood up and followed Claire into the room. She handed Sable a coat. 

 

“This should be around your size. One of the villagers gave me a spare for you.” 

 

Sable thanked her and put it on. 

 

“Shall we head out?” 

 

Sable nodded and the pair left the house. 

89