7: Iron Veins
155 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So Alfrey is from the Nation of Parks? Maybe I can ask him about my Crafting Menu and see if he has some knowledge about it. 

Anyways It would have been useful if I can gain some knowledge out of him early on… Right he is a bonafide craftsman that relies on his effort. A cheat like this would be devastating to his pride.

If I can..  that is.

I don't want to repeat that same mistake from last week. I wish I didn't get a Crafting System. A Leveling System or a Shopping System would have given me more strength. 

But I guess that being who gave me the inventory has a purpose as to why he made it. I just hope I can find answers from anyone in this world. 

" Really? I don't think that my skills are worth it though. Especially, since most of my creations rely on magic.".

" What do you mean? Everything in this world relies on mana. Unless… you have a trump card up your sleeves.".

" Of course not! I am going to be honest with you right now. My ability to make things is pure magic and without skill and effort.".

" So basically what you're doing is a magic technique right? Well, that doesn't change anything! I want to know about it myself!". 

I don't want to expose my powers further. I want to keep it under the impression as a magic technique rather than a system. Practically however I had already shown powers to some people.

I cleaned my trousers and stood up. I glanced back at him. " I guess an old man like you is too willing to know more huh?". 

I accepted his request however I would only show part of my Crafting Menu.

" So what do you want me to create?". 

" Wait! Do you create elements?".

" Of course not, I can craft things as long as I have the recipes.".

" Can you make Bronze? I have the materials.".

Metal? Well fuck yeah I'm going to accept this.

" Yeah sure.". We left the workbench and I followed Alfrey to his tent. Inside there was an anvil and a forge. Stacks of swords could be seen in a crate. Most of which were already starting to rust. 

" So you're a blacksmith?".

" You could say… As of now, I can only forge equipment made out of bronze.".

He gave me a box of ores. Inside were filled with ores of two varieties. With copper giving the most amount.

New items can now be crafted

I went closer to his forge and opened the Crafting Menu. 

Welcome to the Crafting Menu! What would you like to craft?

Category: Material

Material: Anything

Station: Forge[Old]

Bronze

Copper

Tin

Sharp Flint

..

" Craft!". 

The ores I touched had morphed into smooth bronze ingots. I gave it to Alfrey to let him inspect the system's work.

" Hmmm… this ingot is alright. It's not good nor it is bad. This would look like your average blacksmith mass-producing metals. That said alright.".

I see so most of the system's works are just average. It's not offending but I am. kind of disappointed with this. If I could see that being again I wonder if it would give me a modifier feature.

" Anyways since you made bronze just by your technique. Why don't you try making a bronze sword?".

He gave me timber for my handle.

New items can now be crafted

I neared myself towards his anvil and crafted the sword.

What I got was a smooth bronze sword. With light reflecting from the blade. I handed it to Alfrey.

" This is the same too. It looks like something I would mass-produce. I guess that technique of yours can't make high-quality swords. Nonetheless, you're more fit for handling jobs that would take time.".

" I guess I have to improve my work.".

" Now that you think about it. I don't feel any shred of mana in your body but when you try to craft things I can sense surges of it. Do you perhaps conceal your mana?". 

Wait, it does?

That's neat

But does that mean I don't possess any mana of sorts or does it conceal itself automatically? Argh! Questions keep piling up!

" I don't even know myself, quite a mystery isn't it?".

" Hah! A mysterious lad, aren't ya! Tell you what, help your friend find some ores in the nearby canyon. I'll give you something in return. You can call it a job offer from the mercenary guild!". 

" Does that still work especially in times like this?". 

" Of course! As long as there is a community the mercenary guild will always be there! Besides, I am already associated with them!".

" Ok, but why me? Shouldn't there be better miners out there?". 

" Here is a thing boy there isn't, we only got weak people with common jobs. Two soldiers. The addition of you and your friend can help us! Also, I feel in my instincts that you should.".

" To add another your I can sense that your friend lacks the knowledge.".

" I'll accept…!.".

I took this side quest since it would expand the scope of what I can craft. Since I'll be accompanying Anya with me. Wait does she know?

I left Alfrey's tent and came to the riverbanks where Anya was watching the children. While I was looking at her, she had a gloomy atmosphere. I tried to break the scene of course.

" I'm done talking with the old blacksmith. I hear you're heading out?". 

" Yeah, later this noon I'll head out to the canyon I discovered.".

"So during the time you were gathering you discovered a canyon? So where did you meet the refugees?".

" downstream of the river, they looked ragged when they were traveling nearby. I'll assume something bad happened to them. Anyways I haven't traveled far upstream of the river so I'm going to the canyon to gather things.".

" Can you bring me with you?". Her expression changed instantly

" Huh? no! Are you retarded? You do know you injured right?".

" I'm willing to do it. Even though it's a dumb decision.".

" Look no is a no! Just understand!".

" You have common sense but you don't have information about what you're gathering. I know enough!". 

She stayed quiet and swayed her head many times. Finally, she made a choice. 

" This is going to be the dumbest decision of my life. Alright, I'll bring you in.".

Yes! I managed to persuade her! Now I can assure my safety! If I could gather enough ore I would be able to fight with ease.

" Hey! Just because I am strong doesn't mean I'll protect you fully. If you die it's not my fault!". 

I wonder who in the world could have stabbed her if she is a great warrior. I felt like there was a warrior out there excellent enough to kill us all in a single slash. I don't like this at all. 

The twins finally noticed me. They instantly ran back to me and well… hugged me. I felt heartened. 

" Mister thanks for saving us! We'll repay you with our lives… Ow!'. Pinched in the cheeks, Anya reprimanded her. 

I mean that was awkward itself doesn't it. If this was a crowded street I would have been crowned with the title of a pedo. 

" Hey! Don't say that! It's not good".

" I'm sorry… please forgive me.".

" It's an OK kid. Don't do it again.". 

Ulysses on the other hand kept quiet but he was happy to see me. I yearn for the time he talks properly.

" We will go out for a while! Are you going to behave while I'm gone! Me and mister here would go outside.". She warned her siblings and they nodded. 

It took her a while before both of them were briefed.

" Anyways are you ready? Here's a sword Epifanio gave it to me.". Anya handed me over a sword made out of iron. It was used and had some chipped parts on the blade. Nonetheless, it could still cut well. 

 

It was already noontime. We ate the food supplies made by the refugees. Once we were done we headed out to the wilderness with my jacket intact. I followed Anya who knew of the land. She always kept an eye on her surroundings and constantly glanced at me to check if I am still at one piece. 

I on the other hand was dead tired. Especially since we started climbing an uphill forest It took all of my energy reserves. 

" Hey! Can we rest for a bit?". I complained a few times but she never backed down on me. 

" This is your decision dumbass, face it!". 

Yeah… maybe I should have waited but I guess this is worth the risk since I planned something while climbing uphill.

Yes, I planned to introduce some modern contraption to this fantasy world. With the help of my system, I could fight with ease pretty quickly. 

" So um how far are we?". 

" Oh, we're heading close.". I walked past the bushes that made my skin itchy. Once I got the final hurdle away I saw the canyon. 

The rocks were beautifully formed with some having a perfectly good shape. The rocks were white and I could see the ores from just nearby. 

" Hey? can you help me gather the ores?". 

" Yeah sure…".

She got her pickaxe ready and hacked her way to the stone. In one swing she already blew a small gap that would take many swings for a normal human.

 There were some evident deposits of iron ore in the walls of the canyon. I looked down the canyon and saw a gorge with a river flowing. 

" Hey catch this!".

She threw a crystal at me and a notification came up.

New items can now be crafted

I checked the crafting menu

Welcome to the Crafting Menu! What would you like to craft?

Category: Armor

Material: Anything

Station: none

Lifestone Necklace

..

Holy shit! My first ever armor recipe. I bet it gives healing properties!

" Hey! What is it! You know the stone right?".

" It's a life stone…".

" Wait for what! A life stone! I heard people back at the Arnel Continent say that it gives life! Quick hide it!".

I kept it in my inventory hoping no one but saw it. 

" Looks like bringing you was not a stupid decision after all!".

I quickly picked every rock and a notification appeared once again.

New items can now be crafted

I checked it out and it looks like we can now craft Iron related products.

" Hey gather more!". She hastened her work and finally, we managed to gather enough for the day. 

" How much did we got?". She wiped her sweat with her arms.

" We got enough to make new weapons for the whole group.".

The work was done and it didn't look like the sun was setting. We have done it earlier than we have expected. So we decided to rest.

" Hey! Let's climb on that rock!". She directed her fingers to a high rock formation. It had an easy path to climb so it took no effort

" Don't worry I'll help you!". 

I just simply nodded and went with her anyway. With hard work like that you could never miss a chance of seeing beauty. Once we got to the top we saw the dazzling scenery. The sun started to set and the sky slowly turning into orange. 

" Hey, do you see that?". I looked on the horizon. I saw smoke coming in different directions.

" Isn't our camp on our side?".

" Yeah… it looks like there are others who decided to stay in the area.".

Maybe it was something different. The chances of it being another hostile group were high. Either way, our campsite was defenseless and weak. Having only two soldiers who can defend the area, chances are we're bound to lose.

" Shouldn't we go home? Maybe we need to inform Epifanio right now.". I asked her 

" Yeah sure, we can go back! If we don't inform them early on, my siblings would suffer.".

Rest time was over and we finally left the canyon with the knowledge of new threats in the area.


Have A great day!

7