9: Victoria’s Best (Unedited)
130 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I lacked the energy to travel that's for sure. With Anya and me having the only idea as to where this group is of course I would be forced to join with them. 

However, it would have been better If said that earlier. Because we were exploring the forest far beyond what I explored without Anya. Even then I regret my silence and should have denied it further earlier. 

Anyways that damage had been done and I'll just rest If we ever reach the other refugee group. I just wish nothing bad would happen at the moment…

" How far are we?". Epifanio asked as he started to grow tired of walking. 

It seems our fellow scholar was also weak. It's good that I also have someone to be tired with.

" I thought you could use magic? Why can't you help yourself with it?".

" Look, I am knowledgeable at magic arts but I don't have the time to improve my body. Besides, I haven't even mastered the Body Enhancement Arts.". 

So there is a magic art that could enhance a body? That's neat If I could grasp my hand with it I can be a strong opponent to my enemies! " So do you have any knowledge about that art?". 

" I don't have it. If ever my Body Enhancement Art Book was left behind in the school. However if you ever tried it with your weak body you wouldn't even live in its basic spell.".

" Why? I thought that Art would help a weak person.".

That's bullshit If I couldn't possess that. A magic art that is supposedly focused on the body should help a frail person like me. 

" It's a shame but this is the truth. Every person In this world wields mana but there is a natural seal kept in a living soul. The stronger the seal the weaker the mana reserves that reside in your soul. So not everyone can use magic. In the case of the Body Enhancement Art, you need a stronger body and an adequate amount of mana in your soul.".

"The mana inside you forces your body to work hard and a strong body can repel the after-effects that it brings.".

" What After effects?".

" Oh, you know, You could end up a vegetable. Even worse you could die due to the after-effects. This is just what I know about it. I do know that my knowledge about that Art is still incomplete but your friend over here could be a user of the Body Enhancement Art.". He pointed at Anya who glanced back at him. 

" Quit the chit chat! We arrived at the canyon!". After walking the upward hill we finally found ourselves in the canyon. We climbed the same rock formation that allowed us to observe the horizon.

There were now three clouds of smoke rising in the air. Once we got the gist of our directions we headed down the rock formation and crossed the canyon. We circled the canyon before descending to a hill and entered a forest

It was much easier to walk downhill and my stamina slightly improved. We walked deeper into a forest and noticed signs of marks in the trees. There were also some strange symbols that I didn't recognize but felt familiar with.

I did not recognize it yet Anya and Epifanio managed to read out the text.

" What's this? I don't understand it…".

" This is the Continental language of the Arnel Continent. Everyone who is educated can speak this language. How come you don't understand it and while speaking Arnelian?". 

So Arnelian is the counterpart of English in this world. That's quite suitable. 

" I'm sorry but I only learned how to speak it…". 

" It's alright let's move on.". Epifanio continued to walk ahead along with Anya. I examined the symbols for a bit only to realize that they had a jarring resemblance to the current English lettering.

" Damn! Was there an Englishman that came to this world?!". From that, I knew I wasn't the only transmigrator although it was expected from the start that I wasn't the only one. Anyways, I followed their steps and managed to catch up with both of them. 

They were looking at a bush that somehow showed the clearing on the other side. 

" What is it? What's in the clearing?".

" I never thought that they would have a large number!". 

I looked at the bushes and was surprised to see the number of people they have. 

" It's good that they're also refugees right?". Anya said.

" It's good but I found them to be very wary of the forest at the moment. Almost the majority of them are standing guard.". Epifanio responded

" How many are there?". 

" I can say for about a hundred refugees or more! If we could negotiate with them then at least we can merge with their campsite.". Epifanio answered back.

" I suggest we introduce our presence.".

Epifanio directly exposed himself to the large campsite. Anya also joined him with me being the last to show up. We raised our hands and dropped our weapons to the ground. Soon Epifanio declared our presence.

" Hold! We're just innocent passersby that found this settlement!". 

They had tents laid around the large clearing. With a wide river up to giving them water and food. There were some unfinished foundations in the process of making buildings out of stone. We declared our innocence right in front of the wary guards. 

One of them shouted at us.

" Who are you! What country are you from!".

" We're from different countries! My name is Epifanio Garde of Magnolia! My other friends here are from Parks!". I knew he made up my nationality as well as Anya's.

" We come in peace as representatives of a smaller group! We wish to negotiate with you to handle a threat!". 

The guards pointed their variety of weapons while the one who shouted at us lowered his spear. " Alright! You can meet our leader but only if you hand over your weapons!". 

We both glanced at each other and agreed. We gave them our weapons and finally went inside the campsite. People were giving us the eyes and it felt awkward. 

" I don't like this atmosphere.".

" Me either…". Anya added.

We were escorted by a guard who led us to a large red tent. A tent that could be used by a noble.

We went inside and saw numerous armored guards standing beside an individual. One with lavish clothing and a befitting atmosphere for a noble. It was a young female noble with a tense mood sitting in a detailed chair.  

Epifanio greeted with respect

" Good day! Miss…".

" Victoria Maign.".

" Ah yes, good day Miss Victoria thank you for giving us the time to talk with us.". Epifanio was sweating but managed to keep his composure.

" What's your name?.".

" Epifanio Garde your honor, The other two behind me are Anya Anei and Sino Koe both of which are skilled in their own.".

She stood up from her seat and went from Epifanio.

" Epifanio huh? So you're of Magnolian descent. Judging by your clothing I can see that you're a knowledgeable man.". She went over to Anya and observed her. 

" Strong! I can guess you're a warrior.".

Then she went over to my side. She looked at me and I felt pressured.

" What do you do?". 

" I can craft your honor.".

" So a craftsman… I see I guess I can with you for a while!". She fixed her long blonde hair before signaling the guards. All of the guards went outside and we're left with her presence.

" So what do you want? I can assume that you want something from us.".

" Your honor, we ask you to give us the chance to merge with your group! We have skilled workers but we lack the security to fend for ourselves.".Epifanio proposed the idea.

" What skills make your worth? I want to see it for myself to judge your skills. As of now, we need a good warrior and your friend over there might be of use to us.". Victoria led us outside of the tent and directed us to a nearby practice ground. There were some warriors fighting straw mannequins as target practice. 

" Anyways what's your name?".

" Anya Anei.".

" Hm, prove your skills in front of me.". She gave her a wooden quarterstaff and let her inside the practice area. There she approached a fighter who was sitting on a rock. 

That fighter stood up and grabbed his sword. He had a big muscular body and seemed to be well experienced with the sword.

" What the fuc--.". I was interrupted by Epifanio who covered my mouth. Epifanio was also distressed but managed to keep his cool. I breathed repeatedly before I could fully calm down to the situation.

" I think I can trust your friend in her fighting capabilities so don't try and ruin our image.".

Victoria approached us and spectated next to me. " Let's see If she could withstand my best warrior at the moment. If she wins then I guess I can put your group inside.".

" Who is he by the way?".

" Oh, he's the Knight Captain of the Maign Family, Ferdinand Maign. He is my brother who had no interest in being a Baron.

So we are dealing with a skilled guy! That's overkill man! Anya might not be able to win against this towering guy. However, when I look at Anya I can only see confidence.

The crows had gathered around to watch the duel between Ferdinand and Anya. Anya clenched her quarterstaff as she stared at Ferdinand.

A bell started the match and both of them charged towards each other. Ferdinand held his sword and swung it at Anya but unfortunately, it missed her. He switched positions and was ready to defend himself. The sword was used to block the attack of Anya.

She stepped back and regained her stance. This time she beelined herself and went in a completely different direction. She ran fast as she could to confuse Ferdinand but in the end, he stopped the pattern with a swing of his sword. 

However, Anya wasn't going to back down, she dodged the attack leaving no wounds. She leaped in the air and performed a sidestroke on Ferdinand. Hitting right at his liver he writhed in pain. Nonetheless, he managed to keep his stance towards the attack.

From then on he focused on her attacks and evaded the barrage of attacks that she used. The two weapons clashed together blocking every strike. However, the quarterstaff was starting to break. 

Anya however decided to break the quarterstaff and ended up with two sticks with a sharp edge.

I asked Victoria why she did this. 

" Your honor, why give our friend the weapon of a quarterstaff?.".

" Because I want a versatile warrior capable of any weapon. Your weapons earlier were swords and I can tell your friend uses it.".

I see she is putting up a fight against a knight captain who is well versed in swordsmanship. 

Anya threw the other broken stick and it struck Ferdinand's eyes. Then in a sudden move, she leaped towards him tackling his body. She disarmed his sword and the fight ended.

" Yes! I finally did it!". Anya won without any scratches on her body. I looked at Victoria to see her surprised expression. She glanced at me and said. " I can see that your friend is a better warrior than ours. I do hope we don't get on her bad side though.".

She smiled at her loss looking as if she won a game. I felt suspicious of her and felt that she had motives for our group.

" Your honor, Is that enough for our group to merge?". 

" It's not enough, I should at least inspect the ability of your crafting and the knowledge of your friend.".

The crowd had their mouths fall. They were surprised to see Ferdinand lose to a woman. Even then some smiled when Anya won even Ferdinand had a smile.

I feel like there is more to this duel...


No Blue Screen today. Try resting your eyes for a bit

Anyways have a great day!

5