15. A dash of excitement too
140 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following day, Han Li found himself riddled with anxiety. And maybe a dash of excitement too.

 

The implications of Graham’s words were planted in Han Li’s mind and grew into a weed he couldn’t be rid of. 

 

Just what absurdity was Graham going to pull this time? Han Li, for one, did not believe in the other’s success. He already turned down a sweet, sweet penthouse, exquisite food for days and even the most skilled kisses a man had ever graced him with.

 

To put it simply, Han Li had certified nerves of steel, and he could not be swayed by the likes of one Graham Astley. It was kind of fun watching him try though, so Han Li was happy to reap the benefits.

 

The only thing that put the slightest dent in his iron will was the amulet that hung from his neck. It had made him nauseous at first, as all holy amulets did. But he got used to it, the light thrum of power an ever-present comfort that pulsed against his skin. 

 

He touched it, feeling a pleasant warmth prick at his fingertips. The one thing he wanted, seriously and desperately wanted, wasn’t one of the things that Graham was trying to use as leverage over him. Instead, he merely said he would replace the item should it expire.

 

Was that too much for Han Li to rely on and believe? Would Graham hold the act over his head when time came? Or would he come to Han Li’s aid without a single complaint?

 

Mind completely drowned in thoughts, Han Li jumped when his phone buzzed, catching the attention of everyone else in the studio.

 

The lights had been dimmed, a still life set was displayed at the center of the studio and they were meant to express the items in an abstract image. Han Li equated this to splotching a few random colors and shapes on his canvas, deciding that he could just bullshit his justification for his painting later. He had long lost interest in the assignment.

 

Ignoring the curious stares, Han Li fished his phone out of his pocket.

 

There was a message from a contact he tactfully saved as ‘Assholely’. 

 

Huh? So he really did put Graham’s contact information in his phone must have happened on that drunken night.

 

When he opened the texting app, he saw that Graham had sent him a poster of a popular thriller that was now playing in theaters. 

 

[ Are you free at 9:30 pm on Thursday? ]

 

Hm. This wasn’t what Han Li expected when Graham said he would demonstrate his insistence. Also, wasn’t the time a bit on the late side?

 

Han Li typed in ‘no’, only to revise his message.

 

[ isnt that past ur curfew? :P ]

 

[ Exceptions can be made. Will you come? ]

 

[ hahah sure ]

 

Wait no, he didn’t mean to accept a movie date with Graham Assholely but he supposed it was too late now. Even though he knew that it was nothing more than a ploy to get him back into the field, Han Li found himself feeling fluffy on the inside…

 

“Who are you texting?” Simone’s sharp voice snapped him out of his daze, drawing out a yelp. 

 

“Simone! I didn’t see you there,” he hissed at her, clutching at his poor beating heart.

 

“No shit, you were too busy staring at your phone. So? A new love interest? Or don’t tell me you finally grew the balls to get Kevin’s number.” She pushed her glasses up her nose while simultaneously swinging herself over Han Li’s shoulder for a better view of his phone screen. He wasn’t ready to give it to her.

 

“What? No! It’s nothing like that…it’s nothing that important I was just messaging…” Messaging what? He couldn’t tell her it was Graham unless he wished to suffer endless teasing. But what could say? His…acquaintance? Sugar daddy? Stalker? “I was just messaging my…friend…”

 

Yup. That was totally, completely, honest and convincing. He smiled at her but it was too wide and she was staring back with judgmental eyes. “So, what’s he like? Your ‘friend’. Is he hot?” She poked him eagerly in the arm. 

 

Han Li coughed, almost accidentally replying yes, yes he is. The man is hot and you already know this. “He’s…it’s none of your business, you damn rat!” Face heated, he shoved her off of his arm and sighed.

 

Simone huffed, pouting like a child. She settled on a stool next to him and made a face at his painting but didn’t comment on it. “I suppose if you’re getting laid I’m happy for you, as your friend. Just make sure you use protection, okay?”

 

Okay, that was it. Han Li really, really needed new friends. 

 

“By the way, where has your stalker gone? I’m seeing less of him on the school grounds lately. Your boy Kevin keeps asking about him, you know?”

 

Han Li winced, “Really? Kevin never mentioned a word about him to me…”

 

Simone gave him a look. “Seriously, Li Han? Of course he wouldn’t!”

 

“It’s Han Li, you menace to all things pure and sane.” He frowned at when she refused to impart any further information. “What do you mean he wouldn’t?”

 

The main lights came back on and the professor left them with their assignments. The next period was one that he didn’t share with Simone. She tapped him on the shoulder before parting. “It’s not that difficult to understand, idiot Li Han,” she rolled her eyes at him, “Kevin feels awkward talking about Graham to you.”

 

“Oh,” Han Li said stupidly as he watched her leave. Understanding gave rise to a dark feeling in his heart. 

 

Was it jealousy? Or disappointment?

 

Han Li was meant to meet up with Kevin that afternoon, but for the first time, he felt more anxiety than excitement about the meeting.

 

After much agonizing and debate, he surrendered to his fate. A date was a date after all, and maybe he’ll find some magical way to woo Kevin and show that he’s a better pick than that one Graham Assholely.

 

Ahaha. As if.

 

But he might as well try, wasn’t that part of the whole university student experience?

 

It was cloudy in the afternoon. The clouds were bloated with rain.

 

Han Li invited Kevin to a new cat cafe around the corner of the street but by the time they got there, they were soaked. He wondered if the world was against him or something and making sure that he would fail despite his best efforts.

 

Kevin was mostly quiet, engrossed in the swirling designs of his chai latte and the little mewls at his feet. In comparison, Han Li failed to attract any of the furry critters, only inciting aggressive hissing if he so dared to approach.

 

It was fine because at least Kevin was cute with his shaggy brown hair and his oversized sweater. 

 

When he finally looked up, their eyes met and Han Li shot him a sunny smile.

 

“What…are you staring at?” Kevin asked in his adorable timid voice.

 

“Hehe nothing,” Han Li beamed. “I just think you’re cute.”

 

“Oh… Really?” A light blush lit Kevin’s cheeks, making his freckles more visible. 

 

“Yeah! Haven’t I told you before?” Han Li pouted playfully, his chin resting in his palms. Kevin was especially fluffy tonight, he decided. 

 

“I…don’t think so?”

 

That couldn’t be true, Han Li was sure he had said it plenty. But it was also likely that Kevin didn’t listen to him up till now. That was fine. Han Li grinned, “As long as you know now.”

 

“I…see. Okay,” Kevin nodded, his voice small as he looked back down at his chai latte, as though he might find the secrets of the universe within the foam.

 

Cute, Han Li thought, and nothing like Graham. Kevin was in fact the complete antithesis of one Graham Astley.

 

Han Li opened his mouth, only to close it. Thoughts swarmed in his mind, making him antsy while Kevin basked in silence. Why was it that Han Li never had anything interesting to say around the person that he liked?

 

He sighed inwardly but forced a smile. Before he knew it, darkness had fallen. He offered to walk Kevin home and hoped quietly that it wasn’t too forward. For the first time, Kevin agreed.

 

Was this…progress? Han Li was scared to get his hopes up. His heart wasn’t ready yet. 

 

There was no kiss, just a very awkward friendly hug. Han Li laughed, stuttering over his goodbye like an idiot, “Um, goodnight! Have a good rest. Goodnight.”

 

Oh fuck he said goodnight twice but there was no taking it back now.

 

If Kevin noticed his blunder he made no comment of it. Just nodding and waving timidly. “Bye Li, see you.” And then ducked into the building and out of sight, leaving Han Li alone outside. 

 

The smile on his lips faltered. Kevin’s apartment was a bit far from Han Li’s own and in fact, was closer to Graham’s penthouse.

 

“…” Just what was he even thinking about? Han Li shook his head, blaming his wayward thoughts on sleep deprivation. He hurried home and jumped into bed as quickly as possible, praying that sleep might right his mind once more.

i'm on my lunch break right now and I really don't want to go back to work please send help i need someone to swap places with, quick

8