18. Pinewood and copper mixed
134 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

warning: violence, light gore


A predator was out stalking its prey.

 

Rainfall brought with it a certain musk, like pinewood and copper mixed. It wasn’t nearly enough to mask the stifling scent of blood lust.

 

And yet, Rob was utterly oblivious.

 

He was bringing out the trash, its rancid smell perpetuated by the light drizzle, damp air. “Up yer go,” he grimaced, hauling up a large load over the rusted trash bin. A soft plonk. One down and three more to go. 

 

Han Li watched from the back entrance door. He didn’t know how to approach the theater worker, only that he had to. The pitter-pattering rain fell upon him like ice needling into his too-hot skin. He only ever felt the cold when he was agitated. William, no, Rob, didn’t even notice him standing not four feet away.

 

“Hey!”

 

Rob picked up the second trash bag.

 

“Hey, you,” Han Li approached, invading the other man’s space. Rob was busy tossing the second bag over the bin— “Hey, Rob?”

 

The garbage fell with a thud. The theater worker snapped, his fist aimed with pinpoint precision, catching Han Li off-guard.

 

Han Li yelped, the man’s fist grazed his shoulder and damn, was he so out of shape that even a normal person could land a hit? Dread was in his belly, heavy. “Can you calm down for a hot moment? I’m a hunter! A hunter! You’re in serious danger—”

 

“Does it look like I give a flying fuck!? Ya fuckin’ creep—” Another punch, thrown wide and then a kick that aimed for Han Li’s feet. Rob had at least some experience on the streets but he was no match for whatever it was that was out there. 

 

Han Li was never good with words with idiots like this, not when they shouted and cried bloody murder all because he was a little different— 

 

Did they even deserve to be saved?

 

Han Li reached into his pockets to look for his wallet only to remember belatedly that his hunter’s license was long gone. There would be no proving his words to this maniac. 

 

Not only his license but there wasn’t a single tool on him that would help him should whatever predator out there attack. No magic sword, no talismans, or even a gun with a single round of silver bullets.

 

He only had himself and his half-demon blood. Han Li could laugh from the irony of it all.

 

Rob came in with another punch, too close to Han Li’s nose this time, just barely grazing his skin.

 

Fuck it. Fuck it all.

 

A knee followed, aimed at Han Li’s belly and this time he caught the attack with his palms. All it took was a little push to throw Rob off balance.

 

A string of colorful expletives left the theater worker’s lips, but Rob was experienced enough to quickly regain composure. It was just that Han Li was even faster, closing in before he could lower his center of balance.

 

Han Li’s elbow connected with Rob’s chin, knocking him back. Rob fell against rough brick, pin-balling between the wire fence next to it. There was blood mixing with rainwater, a red soaked tooth rolled away beneath their shuffling feet. His mouth was bleeding profusely, staining his gums and chin with ruby red.

 

But that had been Han Li’s mistake.

 

There was some distance between them, which should have been easy enough to close if it hadn’t been for the shadowed being that pounced from behind a fallen plank that rested against the rickety fence. 

 

Han Li’s first thought was shit, he was out of shape because how the heck didn’t he notice her presence right there.

 

The second thought came; fuck fuck fuck— he was too slow— too late and the vampire bitch had her thin, emaciated arms wrapped around Rob’s neck, long claws sinking into his fleshy, human shoulder.

 

Her eyes were glowing beneath the stringy veil of knotted hair. The clothes she wore did not fit, each layered piece sporting different levels of wear and filth; from mud to dark brown stains. She was bare feet, her fangs extended. Inhuman growls rolled out of her chest, heaving heavily as the madness twinkled in those haunted red orbs.

 

With a crack, her jaw flexed wide, and each time her finger twitched it sank deeper into Rob’s shoulder. The blood lust was so thick, Han Li could practically taste her hunger. But for whatever reason, the vampire was holding back, letting her drool mix with rain as she slobbered. 

 

“Ow, ow, ow! Fuck! Get off me ya ugly whore do suck your dad’s three-inch—” Rob howled, pained and screeching from dread and panic. “Ya fucker, didn’ ya say yer a hunter!? Fucking do something!”

 

Han Li couldn’t breathe, each breath came in short. He couldn’t do anything. This William guy, wait no, Rob didn’t even deserve to live. Wait. He hiccuped without air. That wasn’t right either. More importantly, Han Li couldn’t do anything. Han Li couldn’t do anything.

 

But that wasn’t true.

 

A demon had no need for magic swords, talismans or silver bullets. He needed only himself and his half-demon blood. An internal chuckle cut through suffocating anxiety. He ripped the amulet from his neck and stepped forward—

 

And there he was, right in front of the vampire bitch and her shitty human blood bag. 

 

The vampire startled, her grip on her prey weakened and it was enough for Han Li to slip his own fingers between hers and Rob’s shoulder.

 

Crack, crack, crack. He snapped them like he would a set of wooden chopsticks. The vampire screeched, dropping her prize who collapsed like a pile of boneless heap. Rob’s eyes rolled back, froth foaming at the mouth from shock and fear. 

 

Han Li couldn’t risk the fool being trampled.

 

His free hand found purchase around the collar of the ten layers of clothing the vampire had on, ready to fling her aside.

 

She wasn’t about to make things easy, snapping out from the momentary pain to clawing at Han Li with her hardened nails. Her jaw unhinged, needle-like fangs lengthened further and sank down into Han Li’s arm.

 

“Tch…”

 

Fine, if the bloodsucker was going to play it dirty then so would he. Tightening his grip around her collar and with his superior strength, she was lifted from the ground. Han Li wasted little time, taking her with him as he rammed into the nearby brick wall. 

 

In the distance, there was a soft sound of walking, chattering and the ever-present thrum of car horns that served as New Lidway’s eternal OST. But no one took any notice of their violent battle and the vampire’s shrill like calls. They crashed into brick, the wall caved inward and showered them with dust and debris. 

 

But even when her head bounced and cracked open solid brick, the vampire did not remain stunned, her sharp claws sliced away at Han Li’s arm, etching deep red streaks. 

 

He hissed, but was otherwise unfazed. That was why Han Li was considered such a good vanguard, he was always skilled…at taking a beating. It didn’t, however, mean that he was completely immune to pain and blood loss. 

 

Han Li tried to rid himself of the leech, but her fangs were deep in his flesh and her grip was iron. He couldn’t— get— her— off! Fuck! 

 

If he had a sword, he could slice her open and shove her off. If he had his talismans he could stun her. If he had a convenient vial of holy water he could agitate her (and probably give himself a rash too). Impatience swelled. Han Li punched her right in the jaw. There was a crunching sound beneath his knuckles and he could wiggle his arm out just a little more. 

 

Just he thought he could peel away from the hag, her bones would realign, muscles strengthen as she continued to lap up his blood. 

 

And so he would do it again. And again. His fist beat her face into a bloody pulp of twitching flesh and bone. It was shifting and churning, snapping back into place at frightening speed but there was enough time for Han Li to finally rip himself free. The world swayed when he stepped back, a fainting spell threatened his every move; the world around him was numbing out. His vision was infested with cloudy spots and fuck, Han Li wished he could take back everything. 

And by that he meant his entire life, please and thank you.

 

The vampire, now gorged on his blood, roared, her frame looked fuller and skin more plump. She showed her elongated claws and the red stains that refused to wash even with the rain. The panicked madness ebbed away into newfound confidence. The vampire was poised for battle.

 

But only for a moment. 

 

Because she froze as though someone had taken a remote control to her and picked out her batteries. Statue-still, she didn’t even breathe. And then a step back, and another. The vampire fled without a fight. 

 

Han Li, dizzy, stumbled for he no longer needed to act composed. But he didn’t end up crumbling to the floor as he expected. Instead, there was a solid, but warm mass behind him, ready to catch him when he fell. 

 

Oh. Han Li realized with sinking dread, he should have seen this coming a mile away.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. And now we're here. I had a lot of fun writing this chapter ; w ;" I hope people won't get too scared awayyy...

10