33. Because he forgot his jacket
54 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Union Day fell on a Friday. It was prime time to do his projects and catch up from all the toxic procrastination he’d been partaking in. Simone was somewhat merciful and arranged their meeting to happen in the afternoon when she claimed that the festivities ‘really began’. Her words, not Han Li’s.

And it also gave him time to sleep in, catch up on homework and watch the latest episodes of ‘Magical Girl: Makimichi-chan Love’, do laundry, clean his house and do some groceries.

…Okay who was Han Li kidding? He had about the time to do two and a half of those things which included the first two and sweep the living room. Oh, and he also wrote a grocery list and threw his clothes into the laundry basket. That counted for something, right?

But before he knew it he had only an hour and a half left before their appointed time. Han Li stared dumbly at the clock before jumping to his feet. “Fuck!”

Clothes were thrown on only to be thrown off when he caught himself in the mirror. Han Li, fumbled through his closet which was offensively only half full. Of course, the rest of his garments were piled in his laundry basket, mocking him of all the hours wasted with procrastination.

He checked himself in the mirror again, face pulling in annoyance, just unhappy with the wide-necked sweater and tight leather pants. It was a bit too try-hard even for him, he looked like an H-pop star wannabe, only gay. Which he was, but that's beside the point. He scowled and checked his earrings, which he kind of wanted to change too. But when he leaned into the mirror he caught the sight of the clock on the wall and…

Promptly ran out of his apartment.

Only to return, because he forgot his jacket.

Then he was out again.

New Lidway traffic was bad on a good day. On a holiday where large roads are blocked for festivities’ sake, it was something else entirely. Forget biking, unless you wanted to die. So Han Li had no choice but to chance the harrowing subway networks that were no doubt flooded during this time.

It was the lesser of two evils and Han Li eventually found himself sandwiched between a guy twice his size that smelled like a mixture of week-old milk and tacos and a lady who was carrying at least ten bags of groceries, arguing with a younger seated in front of her.

Only belatedly did he realize that he had forgotten his headphones.

And yet, Han Li felt an odd sense of ease. A strange floating feeling that he couldn’t quite explain for it gave him both comfort and anxiety at the same time.

Crazy to think only a few days ago he was transforming into a demon, fighting a nelapsi and meeting that red-haired weirdo (who, by Graham’s report, was doing okay and recovering at the Sanctuary).

A part of him almost felt like he should be writing in his report for his operator, that he should be looking for the next gig because the fat paycheck from this one was sitting pleasantly in his bank account.

Money was great because it meant he’d be able to afford a therapist again. He was kind of in need of one, one that had hunter therapy training.

The thought consumed him while he fought to maintain balance on the crowding subway. So much so that Han Li almost missed his stop. He startled and rushed out by swimming through the small sea of bodies crammed into the underground train.

Fresh air never felt so tantalizing before.

The sky was darkening and the song and crowds could already be heard before he exited the metro station.

It struck Han Li only then that he’d never actually gone to a Union Day celebration before and after finally surfacing from the underground he was left standing on the side of the road, stupefied.

The street, usually hosting cars, was crammed with crowds that spanned the entire length. He had seen this before in pictures but they were just that; they lacked the rumbling of footsteps on the ground, the blaring chatter that overtook the atmosphere and wafting grease coming from hotdog stands and the like. There’s music too, the quality butchered by the cheap roaring speakers planted on each street corner and melding together with the festivities.

Four-colored flags billowed in the light breeze, each band representing one of the major sectors of the Hunter’s Association; blue, emerald, red and gold. Beside the Hunter Association flag was the one representing the Merrivian branch; deep blue with an emblem of a wooden shield behind a musket and war axe.

There weren’t only flags but many other Union Day motifs that decorated the streets, bygone heroes that have entered the realm of mythology. Jean Dulac of the Round Table Union, Cai Meigui of the Sanlongyan and of course, the New United Merriva’s own, axe-wielding, trail-blazing hero, Penny Smith.

Actual hunter’s education was never this bright.

Why… had Han Li never been to one of these before?

No wait, maybe he did but it was from a time that was difficult to remember.

Han Li yelped like a schoolgirl when something rammed into him; giving him flashbacks of matted hair, copper scent, needle teeth and eyes, red. He gasped, muscles tensing. For a moment, the ring that hung around his neck began to burn, eating at his skin.

He forced himself to calm. “You fucking psychopath! What’s wrong with you?” Han Li snarled but tried to school his expression when he spotted Kevin walking over from behind Simone. Who, by the way, was attached to his body like some sort of tumor and he was afraid that she might already be drunk.

Simone shrugged but she didn’t detach herself from him and the two of them awkwardly hobbled like a giant blob of flesh. She was wearing a giant beige wool shawl thing atop a maroon maxi dress with way too many golden frills to be properly stylish. Then again, he supposed it was Simone’s brand to be hip and a tad bit ugly. Because it was more charming, she so claimed.

“You’re late,” she pointed out. “So this is your punishment. Act as my body heater because I’m damn cold.”

He frowned at her, looking down to notice the thin long sleep shirt she had under her shawl. Han Li was probably wearing less but he also didn’t feel the cold. “Get your grubby hands off of me. What if people start thinking I’m straight because you’re latched onto me like this?”

“Oh, huh.” Just like that, she pushed him away, uncaring that he almost fell into some unsuspecting girl who was sampling corn on the cob behind them. “We can’t have that. Go on, Li Han, show the world your big bottom energy and find yourself a man.”

Kevin flinched at the words, his face comically reddening at Han Li’s expense.

He took his liberties and smacked Simone upside the head, “It’s Han Li! You’re a damn menace to mankind. And I told you I’m not a bottom, dammit.”

She yelped and finally let go, grimacing at him disapprovingly. “Spoilsport.”

Kevin was finally given a chance to wedge himself between the two best friends. “Hi,” he greeted with a quiet voice that almost threatened to drift away with the crowd.

“Hey there,” Han Li said.

Simone looked between them and observed their expressions. “So…are you two going to get a room or what? If I had known about this I should have found a date myself. Oh, say, Li Han, how’s that janitor of yours doing? I haven’t seen him at school lately. Us thirsty fangirls are in need of more content if you know what I mean.”

Han Li sputtered and jumped back, almost knocking into a poor woman trying to walk by, “That’s not what it’s like.” But it was totally what it was like and Simone knew it because Han Li already told her. He had only himself to blame. “And no! You’re not getting more content unless you get it from him yourself. You had ample chances to get his number, didn’t you?”

“Boo.”

A light cough, Kevin’s face was tellingly red and Han Li found himself fascinated. “I don’t mean to…interrupt but…shouldn’t we check out the festival?” He made vague gestures towards the festival.”

Han Li cleared his throat and he shuffled closer to Kevin. Super smooth. “You’re right. Sorry about that, Kev. Simoney here’s a bit hard to control.”

“And who needs controlling?” Simone huffed and turned on her heel, “You two go make eyes at each other. I’ll go get beer.”

“W-wait we’re coming too…!” Kevin hobbled after and Han Li could no longer contain himself, grinning and shaking his head at this awkward little group of friends he had formed.

He chased after them, the three disappeared into the crowd, becoming a little blip in the meandering sea of people.

ERM double updates due to some confusion??? I don't know what happened

5