40. No skills with handling small animals
52 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hmph,” Graham made a sound that was almost akin to a snicker. Han Li thought he imagined it. “No? Then my mistake. Tell me, how should I vent my grievances in the future? I was under the impression that you did not believe I had emotions.” 

 

“I—” Han Li stuttered.

 

Had the whole tantrum thing been a joke? Was Graham pulling a fast one on him or was it just because the Saint of Eternity was impossibly difficult to read. Maybe it was a combination of all those things. Thus, Han Li decided to focus on the clear parts. “Was that why you got mad? Geez Grams, you could have just told me.” He sighed and scratched the back of his head. Was it even worth getting upset at Graham’s absurdity? Was he doing it on purpose?

 

Graham nodded, “But if I had simply told you, would you have been convinced that I had emotions?”

 

“Look, dude,” Han Li huffed, hands falling onto his hips, “You could have at least tried and I would have at least apologized for being an insensitive prick. Which I’ll do now, by the way. Sorry.”

 

Graham shook his head, “It is fine. I am sorry as well, I simply did not know how to convince you. In fact, I’ve a glaring feeling that you still think me inhuman. Granted it has been many years since…” His voice drifted off, never quite finishing the sentence it began. 

 

“Huh?” 

 

“Hm. It is nothing of importance, I was thinking about the past. Why don’t we go back downstairs? Allow me to introduce you to Charity properly this time. She is the diviner that I’ve scheduled for the artifact customization.” 

 

He was already turning back, ushering Han Li towards the steps and like a baby duckling, Han Li dogged his heels. Even if he wanted to stay upset and annoyed with the Saint of Eternity, he found that he was more intrigued than anything else. “What about your past?” He asked eagerly as he caught up to Graham’s side. “And I thought Charity was like…your girlfriend or something.” His eyes were sparkling with mirth, eager to know more about the Saint of Eternity. 

 

The commotion was roaring beneath them, chattering and singing abounding below the stairs. If one ignored all the strange characters present, then it would seem like any other old house party, but for rich people.

 

Apparently, all the state-sanctioned supernatural beings were filthy rich. Huh.

 

“It is nothing so interesting,” Graham hummed. “I had merely thought…a good friend of mine had told me that I’ve changed. But to this day, I fail to understand in what way.” 

 

Han Li blinked. The two of them took their time to climb down the curved staircase. “Why don’t you just ask them then?” Eyes followed their movements only to look away, people moved in a trance, some danced while others leaned in with each other and gossiped. But Han Li could hear Graham’s voice as clear as day.

 

“She’s dead.”

 

“…Oh. My condolences…” Han Li’s tone was soft, drowned beneath the commotion. Having dead friends was nothing out of the ordinary for a hunter though, and for one as experienced as Graham, Han Li couldn’t even imagine the number of people Graham must have departed with. It was the norm, so why did he feel the edge of sadness tickle his heart?

 

Whatever lingering thoughts or emotions that Graham might have had towards this departed friend, he kept to himself. He answered the second question instead. “As for Charity and I,” Han Li swore he could hear a soft chuckle over the sensual music playing overhead, “Ah well. The two of us have long parted ways.”

 

“…Ah,” Han Li said dumbly. Call him an idiot but he didn’t actually believe that Graham would admit to having a relationship with her. It made him feel…

 

Han Li didn’t know what it made him feel. He scratched his forearm, confused. 

 

Graham led him to the corner of the lobby, where Charity occupied the length of a long, black couch, whispering and giggling with a few other women. Each of them was adorned with glittering jewels and sported outfits that spoke of money. But they shied away from her as Graham approached, heads bowing in his presence. Was it fear, respect, or wonder that flashed across their faces? 

 

Charity perked up again, flashing her emerald eyes. So this is the type of woman that Graham likes, huh? Han Li pocketed this information as he looked upon her petite, delicate visage. “Oh! So you’ve finally made up, I see? That is good! Come over here, my dears.” She patted the couch next to her and scooted over, grinning up at the two men. She glowed, Han Li noted, like an untouchable star that appeared only on billboards and critically acclaimed dramas.

 

That’s when it occurred to him, why he thought Charity seemed so familiar! Argh, he was always bad at remembering celebrity names and left that task to Laura. 

 

Neither Graham nor Han Li sat down right away. “Forgive my earlier misconduct,” Graham hummed holding out a hand towards Han Li, “This is Han Li. He is my…client.”

 

“Client,” Han Li echoed, “Since when did I become your—” Oh, this guy was still going on about the stupid operator thing, what the heck? Han Li almost forgot. The Saint of Eternity hadn’t been pushing him to return to the field the past several days. 

 

“And this is Charity Eveningstar. She is currently the best diviner in the west, a very accomplished and lovely young lady.”

 

Charity winked and Han Li swore he saw the exact same expression flash by in some spiffy shampoo commercial just the other day. Most people would know her actor persona more than her work as a private diviner. Han Li didn’t even want to think about how steep her prices must be. He stupidly took her hand into his and shook. “Man, I aspire for the day that Grams showers me with as many compliments.”

 

Charity giggled with a hand hovering over her mouth, “If it is flattery you want from him, you should just ask. I’m sure Mr Astley would give it freely, no?”

 

Graham’s head tilted ever so slightly to the side, “Ah. I was not aware that you were vying for compliments, Han Li.”

 

Han Li almost sputtered but he managed to save his composure with a shrug. “Hey! What kind of person doesn’t like a compliment or two?” 

 

After having his arms tugged by the actress, diviner extraordinary, Han Li finally plonked down onto the couch next to her. He tried not to feel disappointed when Graham found a seat on her other side. He had to crane his neck to see Graham’s signature smirk, smug and haughty and barely even visible. “I see. Then Han Li is very different from my expectations of him. He is like an adorable baby kitten. It is a shame that I’ve no skills with handling small animals.”

 

“That—” Han Li’s mouth gaped open while Charity laughed. “How is that supposed to be a compliment!? I’m just getting insulted, what the heck!”

 

“What’s wrong with that? It is not often that Mr Astley calls someone a darling,” Charity giggled and leaned over to pinch his cheek. He scowled at her and swatted her fingers away. She smelled of jasmine flower and rose and perhaps a pinch of cinnamon too. 

 

“He called me a small animal,” Han Li hissed, “and for the record, I’m not even small. It’s not my fault that Mr Assholely here is huge.” He shot a glare at the Saint of Eternity, “Couldn’t you have, I don’t know, said something nice about my good looks or my shining personality? I don’t know, something normal? And nice!?”

 

“Hm,” Graham tapped his chin with a gloved finger, “I did comment on your looks. I said that you are cute, did I not? In fact, the comparison to a kitten was one meant to allude to both your personality and appearance. If you are curious, then allow me to break down my logic—”

 

“No!” Han Li shrieked, “What the heck, dude? Not cool. Here I am, just a normal guy trying to go about my normal day and you’re here attacking me left and right.”

 

Charity laughed, “I can see why Mr Astley is so fond of teasing you!”

 

Han Li’s expression fell, “Not you too, Ms Eveningstar. I can call you that right? I’m not really sure if that’s right or not um—”

 

She grinned, lowering her head on his shoulder, and looked up at him with those dazzling emerald eyes. Han Li understood why Graham would favor her, heck if Han Li was straight, he wouldn’t be so immune to her charms. “Just Charity, my dear.” She winked and bopped his nose.

 

Drinks were being passed around and Han Li might have accepted two or three when Graham and Charity only had one each.

 

He was half-demon, dammit, and if there was anything that his shitty disposition should have gifted him with, was a good tolerance to alcohol.

 

Yeah, no. Han Li couldn’t tell if he was just a lightweight or he was just an irresponsible drinker because it didn’t take long for him to be rolling in Charity’s lap and laughing about some silly, nonsensical story she was telling him about her experiences as a diviner. 

 

Which was probably why he didn’t think twice when she leaned over and asked him with a whisper, “Say, my cute little kitten, why don’t we divine your fate and soul right here and now?”

 

“Sure! Why not?”

 

It wasn’t like she was an artificer so what could possibly go wrong?

I'm sorry, I realized belatedly that this novel is long not because it has a lot of content, but because it has a lot of crack. I'm sorry for writing so much crack omfg

4