Ch.2 The Red-Haired Knight
609 4 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up to find myself in a wooden building lying face-up.

An unfamiliar ceiling....

I always wanted to say that. Still though, usually you don't faint alongside your character. You're just unable to move.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Must be a pretty serious glitch.

Where am I anyway? Did I beat the slime? If I beat it, I should have leveled up right?

One way to find out...

------------------------------------------------------
<Status>
Name: Aer
Class: Warrior (Engineer, Cook, Scribe)
Level: 1
Stat Points: 0
Hp: 100/100 (2)
Mp: 30/30 (5)
Sp: 120/120 (50)
Str: 15
Int: 3
Con: 12
Wis: 5
Dex: 8
Spd: 8
Luk: 22

Titles: 
[World Traveler] [Inventor] [Masterchef] [Windscribe] [Player lv 1]

Skill Points: 0

Unique Skills: 
[Appraisal lv 3] [Otherworld Language]

Combat Skills: 
[Bash lv 1] [Heavy Slice lv 2] [Charge lv 1]

Life Skills: 
[Cooking lv 1] [Crafting lv 1] [Calligraphy lv 1] [Horse Riding lv 1] [Negotiation: lv1]
---------------------------------------------------

Right. I lost, and that knight lady saved me. That said, [Heavy Slice] and [Appraisal] have leveled up.

I suppose it would be easier to level up when you're level 1...

As I was pondering gaining a level from a single use, I heard a door open beside me. I looked off to my right and saw the red-haired knight coming in.

"Oh, you're awake!" she said as she came over. "I was getting rather worried, it's been almost a day!"

A full day?! And the glitch hasn't been resolved yet? Strange. Yeah, that's strange. They should have fixed it by now. Yes...

I pulled myself from my thoughts to see the red-haired knight staring at my face. Feeling rather shy all of the sudden, I said,

"Y-yes?"

The red-haired knight came closer and said,

"I'm sorry if this is personal, but, your eyes..."

......don't say it.

"They're so..."

......If you say it I can't keep denying it anymore.

"...different."

And that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Or rather, it was the last in a long list of evidence that this is more than a glitch.

I'm in a completely different world.

I noticed right from the start. The face staring back at me at the fountain wasn't my character's. It was mine. I tried to deny it, writing it off as my mind playing tricks on me. But hearing someone else say it feels so.... different.

I tried to get up and leave to clear my head, but the moment I sat up, the red-haired knight shoved me back down again.

"Oh, no you don't! You just woke up! You need to rest."

Feeling rather frantic, I tried my best to get red's hand off of me. Her hand wouldn't budge an inch though. After a minute of my fruitless struggling I heard her speak.

"Ummm.... are you messing with me?"

I looked up at the girl who seemed to have almost relaxed her arm.

.....I wanna cry.

===========================

Once I finally calmed down, red introduced herself as Richia Marmell, D-Rank adventurer. Which made me feel a little less pathetic about what happened earlier. Just a little bit.

Come to think of it, I haven't checked an adult's stats in this world yet. Hers should be higher, but it's better than nothing. [Appraisal].

------------------------------------------------------
<Status>
Name: Richia Marmell
Age: ??
Race: Human
Class: ?????????
Level: 267
Hp: 3080/3080
Mp: ???/???
Sp: 3210/3210
Str: 288
Int: ???
Con: 245
Wis: ???
Dex: 267
Spd: 344
Luk: ???

Titles:
[Red-Haired Knight] [D-Rank Adventurer] [????]

Unique Skills:
[????]

Combat Skills:
[????]

Life Skills:
[????]
---------------------------------------------------

Low. Very low. Don't get me wrong, she's strong. I can't even see everything because of it. But something's off. Her stats are low for someone at that high of a level. Her stats should be in the thousands, if not more.

Moreover, her status has no place for stat points and skill points. Could it be that this world doesn't work the same way as the game? Then why do I have points?

Now that I have mostly accepted that I've reincarnated, (or is it transmigrated? I don't know if I died so I can't say for sure) my thinking has become a lot more rational, and another peculiarity came to mind.

Now that I think about it, there was a [Player] title as well, wasn't there?

Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted by Richia calling out to me.

"I-Is something wrong? You've been staring at me for a while now."

Crap.

"Sorry, my memories are just a bit jumbled, I'm trying to figure out what happened to me."

I'd rather not have to explain that I came from another world, so the amnesiac story works just fine.

"I see. Amnesia, huh? Well, first thing to do is check your status. Just say [Status] and it should appear. You should know your name and age afterwards, as well as what level you are."

A bit different from the game, but let's try it.

"[Status]"

The status screen really did show up. This is much better than going through the menu and attracting attention with weird hand motions. Richia then started to explain further.

"Other people won't be able to see your status, unless you say [Status Appear]. People with an appraisal skill are the exception, but it's a unique skill so not many people have it."

I feel like "unique skill" should mean only one person has it, but I guess I'll have to be wary of appraisal users. It's probably not a good for people to find out I'm a "World Traveler."

"Would you mind telling me your name?"

"Aer. With an 'e' instead of an 'i'."

"Aer... that's a pretty name."

"Thank you."

"Well Aer, if you focus on something in your status, you will see more information about it. If you have any titles, finding out how you got them might help you find out where you came from."

Convenient. The I tried focusing on various things throughout my status. These were the results.

---------------------------------------------------
<World Traveler>

A title for one who has traveled from another world. The soul comes into contact with great amount of mana during the process, granting it enhanced capabilities.

[Stat Growth + 1]
[Skill Point Gain +1]
[Exp Acquisition +50%]
[Luk -10%]
-------------------------------------------------------
<Inventor>

A title given to one who has been been a pioneer in engineering. Grants a bonus to success rate when crafting, and a greater bonus when creating something new.

[Crafting success rate + 30%]
[Invention success rate +60%]
-------------------------------------------------------
<Masterchef>

A title given to one who has mastered the art of culinary combat. Grants bonus in proficiency with kitchen tools, and raises the quality of handmade meals.

[Kitchen Proficiency +100%]
[Dish Quality +3]
-------------------------------------------------------
<Windscribe>

A title given to one who writes faster than the wind. Grants a speed boost when creating documents, and a bonus to persuasion when delivering written words.

[Writing speed +500%]
[Persuasive writing +30%]
-------------------------------------------------------
<Player lv 1>

A title of unknown origin. Allows use of the menu. Grants grants 10 status points and 3 skill points upon leveling. Levels up as the user does.
-------------------------------------------------------
<Appraisal lv 3>

Allows the user to view the properties of people and objects around them. The information visible depends on the difference in level between the target and the user.
-------------------------------------------------------
<Otherworld Language>

Allows the user to comprehend the language of another world.
-------------------------------------------------------

As I thought, the points come from the [Player] title. I guess because I came here from in the game, I kept some properties from it? Who knows. I should probably give Richia a response though.

"I seem so be a fighter and a cook, and I'm level 1."

Suddenly Richia's smile froze.

"....I'm sorry could you repeat that?"

"I'm fighter and a chef at level 1."

After that, I think something in Richia broke.

"WHAT!??!? But I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me! She can't actually be level one! How did she survive that slime? How did she survive CHILDHOOD!?!? Itsimpossibletheresjustnowaythatshecouldbelevelonecauseifshewasleveloneshewouldbeasfragileasanewbornshewasfightingaslimethisdoesntmakesensehow......"

This went on for some time. I caught some interesting facts about this world in her rant so I just let her go on for a bit.

Apparently level one is the level of a newborn, and most people are at level 20 by the time they're 10. Young adults are an average of 40-60 and I assume full grown adults are a bit below 100. You get some some small amount of experience from helping people and doing special activities like crafting, as well as from hunting monsters. Therefore a level 1 teenager like me should be impossible.

......I should probably stop her now.

"Richia."

She went silent. Then ran over to me and started shaking me by my shoulders.

"Hey, Aer. You were joking right? Tell me you were joking."

Why is she more panicked about this than I am?

"Richia, please think for a second about the person who actually has to deal with being level 1 at this age."

It might be a bit shocking for her, but I actually have to live with it! I'm the one in trouble here!

"Right... yes... I'm sorry... I wasn't thinking."

She seems dejected now. That's my fault isn't it? I should probably do something about that.

As I reached out to try and comfort her, she suddenly looked up with a determined look on her face.

"Follow me!"

She grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the room which I have yet to properly examine. All I saw was a small bed and a window before we went through the door into a long, narrow hallway. She dragged me off to the left then went through the first door we came across. When we finally stopped, she released me, and I took a look around while rubbing my wrist.

"This is...."

"A kitchen!" she says, sweeping her arm across the small room. There were sink near the door we were standing at, as well as a stove on the far wall. There were pots and pans hanging from the ceiling, and several drawers and cupboards below the long counter. There was even something reminiscent of a fridge in the corner.

But why exactly are we here?

"So, to avoid having you die from trying to kill a monster again, we're going to level you up using your other skill, cooking!" she said with excitement. "Usually it wouldn't do much, but kids earn more experience doing adult tasks, so you should be able to get to at least level 8 by the end of the week. (Plus I finally get to eat properly cooked food)"

"What was that last bit?"

"Nothing."

I narrowed my eyes at her, but deemed it unimportant and moved on.

"It's not a bad idea really, but can I even lift the cooking utensils? I found that tiny dagger pretty heavy."

"It'll be fine! If you have a cooking title, that means you did it before! So this'll work!"

But my cooking title is from when I was level 400...

I sighed and headed over to the counter. Couldn't hurt to try at least. I opened the drawer and tried to pick up one of the knives. It was actually much lighter than I thought.

Right! Proficiency! I can use culinary items much better than other things. In that case, I can do this!

I smiled and started cooking.

32