Ch.6 The Guild
535 3 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What's a kid doing here?"
"We a daycare now?"
"Children don't belong here!"

The jeers began the moment I stepped inside. Still, I expected as much, so I ignored them entirely and followed Richia to the lady at the reception counter. I suppose receptionist ladies are a staple of isekai. Not that I mind.

The receptionist lady we went to had brown hair, blue eyes, and a constant look of annoyance. She glanced up at us as we approached and said, "Whaddya want?"

Oh I can tell she's going to be fun.

Richia gave a small sigh of irritation, then responded.

"We're here to sell some slime cores and get her registered. Faster you do it, the sooner we're gone."

The receptionist turned her head to look at Richia, a mocking smile on her face.

"You wanna register this kid? Looks like she couldn't break a twig, much less fight a monster."

Richia, who had already been close to breaking point, looked just about ready to snap. So I put my hand in front of her and spoke.

"I can at the very least hunt weak monsters, and I'm sure the veterans here don't want to bother with them, so why not let me register anyway?"

The receptionist shot a glare at me, probably mad that I ruined her fun, and gave a simple, "Whatever."

The registration was fairly simple, I just put a bit of blood on the board she provided. When I did that, the board lit up and a bunch of letters started floating above it. The receptionist scanned the letters, then glared at me again.

"What the hell are you tryin' to pull?"

"Huh?"

"Don't play dumb with me, there's nothin' here! No class, no level, not even your friggin name! Just a mess of letters and symbols! You tryin' to make a fool outta me?"

That seems... strange, to say the least.

I was very confused by her outburst, seeing as I had no skill to conceal my status as far as I know.

"Maybe the board is broken? Do you have another one I could try?"

She glared at me again, but proceeded to bring out a second board. This time my status showed up properly.

------------------------------------------------------
Name: Aer
Class: Warrior
Level: 10
Rank: F
Guild Branch: Mareva
-----------------------------------------------------

...Seems it works this time. But Mareva, huh....

"Mareva is the name of the town right?"

As I turn to Richia for a response she looks confused.

"What are you... Oh, right. Amnesia. Yes, Mareva is the town name. And while we're on the topic the country is the Lancaster Empire, ruled by Emperor Nimbule Lancaster."

Hearing Richia explain this to me the receptionist scoffs.

"She's got amnesia and she's level 10? I didn't know someone could suck so badly. You sure you wanna register? Maybe try and find something more suited for your incompetence."

"I appreciate the advice, but I would like to become an adventurer. As long as there's no rule against it can we finish the registration?"

I respond with my best smile and surprisingly she doesn't scowl at me this time. She simply raised an eyebrow and moved on.

The receptionist proceeds to place the board in some sort of box, which glows for a few seconds before producing something that looks and feels like a modern ID card, but metal. Fantasy is amazing.

"This thing's your guild card. It records the amount and type of monsters you've killed, so you can't fake subjugations. It can also be used to record the amount of money you've stored with the guild, so you can collect it at other branches. The card costs 5 gold to replace so try not to lose it.

You can take requests one rank higher or lower than your current rank, and there's a penalty fee for failure. There's also an annual fee associated with each hunter rank so you don't slack off. If you have money stored with the guild the fees will be deducted automatically. You got all that?"

"Uh... Yes?"

"Good. You also said you were selling slime cores right? You can sell 'em, but they won't help your rank any since you didn't have a guild card yet. Well, not that they'd help much anyway. If you still want to, put 'em on the counter."

Suddenly the receptionist is giving detailed explanations and properly doing her job. Well, I suppose there was a reason she wasn't fired yet.

I brought the slime cores out of my inventory and the receptionist had a look of surprise and mild amusement. It seems like I'll be safe using my inventory for the most part.

After she finished counting up the cores they totaled 43, earning me 47 coppers, since the first one was worth 5. Cheap, but kids can hunt it so it's understandable. I thanked the receptionist and we turned to leave the guild. When we did, Richia turned to me.

"I'm surprised you stayed calm through that."

"People like that provoke you because they want you to get angry. They want to have some fun laughing at your reaction. As long as you don't give them one, they'll leave you alone."

"I-I see..."

She nodded thoughtfully and we moved to head through the guild door.

But of course, it couldn't be that easy.

As we were about to head outside the guild, an adventurer stepped in front of us.

Oh, come on! We were at the door!

The adventurer was a grizzly looking man with leather armor, a battleaxe on his back, and a grin on his bearded face.

"Oi. You think you can come do an adult's job kid? Fighting monsters is scary work you know? Why don't you run back home to your mommy? Gahahahaha!"

As the man laughed, many of the surrounding adventurers joined in. Richia looked upset, but I guess she was trying to take my advice, because she forced a smile. She's wrong this time though. I scoff and shrug.

"All I gotta do is hit a thing 'till it dies. I mean if you can do it, how hard could it possibly be?"

The laughter stops, and the man starts scowling. Meanwhile Richia is looking at me with the most confused expression on her face. In due time, my friend.

"Oh yeah? Well tell ya what kid, let's have a test right now. We'll duel, and if I win, then you quit."

I grin.

"Interesting. Miss receptionist, what rank is he?"

I turned to the receptionist, who was looking amused again.

"My name's Nala, and he's rank D."

"I see. Well then Miss Nala, is it possible for us to trade ranks if I win?"

When I said that, the look on her face turned almost maniacal.

"Oooooh! I think I like you! Well since you have no achievements, and there's a system to skip ranks when registering if deemed appropriate, I can just re-register the both of you!"

I grinned along with her and turned back to the man, who was looking slightly pale.

"Well, there are your terms. Or are you scared of losing to a little girl?"

From pale to red in less than a second. Who says magic isn't real?

"Alright fine! You're askin' for it! Nala, take us to the arena!"

With a grin still plastered on her face, she moved to the front of the counter and beckoned for us to follow.

As we moved to follow her, Richia tried to figure out what just happened.

"Didn't you just get done telling me not to react?"

I shake my finger with a "Tsk, tsk, tsk" and begin explaining.

"You've gotta learn to differentiate. Some people do it for a reaction. Others do it because they can. Only way to deal with them is to make sure they can't."

Richia looked like she was about to have smoke come out of her head. It's kind of cute seeing her so confused. I suppose she's still young.

Well, not like I'm much older though.

=============================

A few minutes later, I found myself at the entrance of a miniature colosseum. The full thing was a little bigger than a gymnasium, with the stage being the size of a basketball court, but square. Richia was already in the stands, which had a surprising amount of people for such short notice, and my opponent was in the entrance across from me. By the way, this is his status.

------------------------------------------------------
<Status>
Name: Breig
Class: Warrior
Level:187
Hp: 1283/1283 (257)
Mp: 87/87 (14)
Sp: 876/876 (412)
Str: 122 (69)
Int: 54
Con: 97 (61)
Wis: 52
Dex: 76
Spd: 79 
Luk: 12

Titles: 
[D-Rank Adventurer] [Drunkard] [Musclehead]

Unique Skills: 
None

Combat Skills: 
[Bash lv 76] [Heavy Slice lv 125] [Chop lv 150] [Reckless Charge lv 97] [Headbutt lv 63] [Strong Arm]

Life Skills: 
[Provoke lv 56] [Horse Riding lv 48] [Instinct lv 24]
---------------------------------------------------

I mean, I suppose he's decent. Though I'm not sure he should be D-Rank looking at Richia's strength, but he's definitely a ways above my status. Well, it'll be fine.

I swear it'll be fine.

Presumably to announce the fight, Nala was standing in the centre of the stone stage. Sure enough, she then addressed the people that came to the arena.

"So, this fight will be between the D-Rank adventurer Breig, and the newbie adventurer, Aer!"

The crowd cheered, and we both moved up to the stage. As we stood opposite to each other, he looked me over and scoffed.

"What, no armor? You takin me lightly, kid?"

What he's referring to is the plain shirt and shorts that I'm wearing. I might have forgotten to mention it. Whoops.

"Nah, this is all I got. Though I doubt I would need armor anyway."

I smirk at him, and he wordlessly draws his battleaxe in response. I pull out my dagger and get into a battle stance, with the dagger in one hand. He smirks as he sees my hand lightly trembling under the blade's weight. Then Nala steps off the stage, then turns to face us.

"Begin!"

29