Hadrian Blackwater
1k 2 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As young as “she” was, Faye was no fool. Many people underestimated her because of her cute appearance, but she had the spirit of a now 30-plus year old pervert within her. And said pervert….was a degenerate of rather high order. Coming up with this plan didn’t take her long, neither did it’s preparation. 

 

What caused her more frustration was a single question: To kill, or not to kill?

 

Faye understood very well that she should leave no loose ends for her brother to follow. It was a fear that loomed over her head all throughout their journey. And looking down at the black market now she knew no man would survive this height. Every part of her screamed at her to push the old man down to his death. Logically, it was the right decision.

 

But as degenerate as she was, she was no killer. 

 

And so she simply shook her head and asked, “Where’s a good place to sell?” 

 

The old man’s eyes shifted. “I told you, you’re on your own from here--” A pearl necklace was chucked his way. “I’ll show you a trustworthy merchant I know. You brought what you wanted to sell, I assume?”

 

Faye nodded. At her side was a bag full of her parents’ jewelry and decorative daggers. They were the most valuable items and the only things that could be carried on person. Everything else she would sell at a later time. The silverware, for example, didn’t have to be sold in a place like this. Most merchants would buy them without any questions.  The tea sets she would sell later. She’d have to, since tea sets made for Nobility would arouse suspicion if sold by some random child you found on the street. As would the paintings. But again, those couldn’t be carried easily. 

 

Once Faye met this merchant personally and made a successful transaction then perhaps she would bring them, or an appraiser they appointed, to see the other items. Then allow them to send some men for the acquisition of her items once a deal was struck. 

 

“Then follow me. And don’t take your hand off that bag.”

 

Faye didn’t need the reminder. She hadn’t taken her hand off of it since she left the Inn.

 

The two young girls followed him alongside a walkway. A short distance away they saw a wooden elevator that was prepared to take them down to the market. A thought struck her.

 

“How do they transport heavy items? Or even animals.”

 

“There’s entrances on the ground level for that. Animals usually come in from the port so there’s an entrance that leads to and from there, though I’ve never seen it. As for anything else...actually, there aren’t many other instances where the elevator is insufficient.”

 

He had a point. It was pretty big. You could likely fit three or even four of their carriages on top of it. And this walkway was nearly as wide itself. 

 

“They used to transport alcohol by the carriage full. So this entire place was created with that in mind.”

 

The old man told us a few stories regarding his various trips here in the past. The time a Ragebeast escaped captivity and was put down by a lone gunmage. How a team of unknown rogues broke into the slave market and rescued a captured princess put on auction. The theft of a golden statue in itself stolen from some far-off kingdom and ready to be sold, only to vanish from the sight of hundreds in the blink of an eye.

 

Faye felt some things were exaggerated, but nonetheless the stories did entertain.

 

They were led through throngs of people and stone buildings. The market was surprisingly well-lit. Not overly so, not like the cities Faye had known in her last life, but enough to see comfortably.

 

The old man brought them to an inconspicuous stall. The fat man behind it bore a mustache that reminded one of a crescent moon and bore the same beady eyes Faye used to. She immediately trusted him. This man was a comrade, no doubt!

 

“Ah, Maurice, how pleasant to see you again.” The chubby guy intoned jovially, scanning Faye and Ruri up and down as if trying to devour them. “An’ who’re these lovely la--” 

 

Faye immediately slammed her fist into his stomach. Her hand sank into him. By god! It was like hitting jelly. How absorbent.

 

The attack surprised him more amused than anything. This was likely just because Faye was weaker than newborn chick. “Hm? What, is that supposed to be a secret?”

 

Maurice--finally, they knew his name--shrugged. “They’re cautious.”

 

“‘Course. Should’ve been more tactful, eh? So, what brings you here.”

 

“New customers.”

 

“Oh? Where?” The man’s gaze shifted left and right before settling once more upon the two girls. Ruri was already  shaking from his look of absolute depravity. Meanwhile Faye took it in stride. Ah yes...she remembered looking at people with that sort of gleam herself. As a matter of fact, she still did. Ruri experienced it quite often, but the difference is the Faye is incredibly cute whereas the merchant is fat, ugly and shady as heck.

 

“Them?”

 

“Quite.”

 

“Ho-hoh. I see. Well then let’s not waste time, shall we? Your items, please.”

 

Faye took out a single blue gemstone set in an ear ring and threw it at him. “There’s more where this came from.”

 

The man raised a brow at her. “Interesting.” He commented with a rub of his chin. “I’m used to having stolen goods pass through here, but not stolen goods coming from children. Well, I won’t ask. Let me get my magnifying glass so I can appraise the rest of your goods.”

 

He then disappeared behind an ornately decorated purple curtain. Behind the stall was a large stone wall, so there must be a door cut into it or something for him to enter through.

 

Maurice, the old carriage driver, opened his mouth just then. “Gabe is one of the wealthier merchants here. But he likes to run this stall as a hobby. Says he likes to ‘try his luck’ or some such nonsense The building in front of us is actually owned by him.”

 

“Really? But he runs a dingy stall like this? Huh.” Ruri remarked.

 

“Does everyone know he’s the owner?” Faye asked.

 

A shake of the head. “ He’s a pretty cautious guy, too. Few would have met him personally. That is, in his capacity as the wealthy owner of this here building.”

 

“Aren’t you a carriage driver? How do you know someone like this then?”

 

“He and I go way back, that’s how I know.” Came the gruff reply. “ He’s the one who introduced me to this place, actually.”

 

Faye took in the information with closed eyes. She hesitated. Then asked, “So how many would know such a wealthy merchant has this weird hobby?”

 

“Of looking at baubles all day? I’m not sure.” His eyes turned sharp. “Why do you ask?”

 

“I dunno.” Faye shrugged nonchalantly. “Boredom.”

 

Maurice looked at her for a moment before shifting his gaze towards the curtain. Faye’s large, innocent eyes held no guile that he could see. As such he put the odd question out of his mind. Still, he chastised himself. He was growing too complacent in his ripe age. Look at him, babbling so much. Maybe the girl’s age had something to do with it, but still. Old fool, he thought

 

Faye quieted. 

 

It was not long before the man came back with what looked like a tiny telescope that was attacked to a pair of glasses. Ten minutes later and he finished appraising her gems.

 

“I can give you...30 gold pieces for everything.”

 

Faye hid a grin while Ruri’s eyes bugged out as Gabe took out a fat purse full of gold. He counted out thirty pieces and slid them her way.

 

She didn’t bother to haggle. This was actually much more than she expected. Though she didn’t at all know what the standard price was for any of the jewelry anyway. She assumed, like, ten gold pieces? This was great. Maybe her sense of value was just messed up.

 

“I want it in silver. “ She considered. “Half...no, a third in copper” Half would be much too weighty.

 

The man nodded then went back behind the curtain. He came out a few minutes later with two small purse bags. Faye counted the coins inside  thoroughly. Gabe saw that and seemed almost offended. 

 

“I have other items that I couldn’t bring.” Faye informed.

 

“Is your business in the market done? If not, see me before you leave. I’ll go with you to appraise the items an’ send someone to pick them up. Nothing too heavy, I hope?”

 

“Two strong men should be enough.”

 

“Good. See ya later, kid.” A heavy laugh echoed forth.

 

Maurice yawned as they walked away. “Well, I’m off then. You can fend for yourselves from here on. I’m going to the pub for a drink. It was nice knowing you.” 

 

“Wait, one last thing. Mercenaries, where can I find one?”

 

The old man blinked. A strange lass, indeed.

 

***

“This is the place...I think.” Ruri gulped. The two stared at a small, run-down wooden building at the edge of the black market. There were few people here and the lighting was dimmer. It was so quiet that not even a ghost would be able to slip by undetected, the eerie silence broken only occasionally by the scurrying or rats or the odd drunk. But besides that, it was the sound of nothing.

 

Faye felt fear grip her heart. She felt cold and unwelcome, but pressed on anyway. 

 

Slowly, very slowly, she walked up the steps that led to a closed door. Taking a deep breath, she knocked. Once, twice, three times. 

 

A few moments later and she heard the crack of boots on hard floorboards. The steps grew louder and louder with each second until, finally, they stopped. And the door opened.

 

Light spilled out into the streets.  A tall man cast a shadow over Faye, a man possessing elegant features, dark hair and darker eyes. Not dark like her own colorings, as his eyes were a rather bright grey. No, dark like...violence and heaviness. 

 

The man was dressed in a layer of black with a dark tunic and a long-flowing grey greatcoat that gathered around him like shadow. He held not a single weapon, but in spite of his unarmed state, Faye feared this man. 

 

His expressionless face, curt manner and silvery eyes held all the warmth of a predator.

 

“Mr. Blackwater? I’d like to hire your services.”

 

Like she said, Faye is no killer. 

 

That’s why she had to hire one.

32